No announcement yet.

Anyone have a media server/htpc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your media won't have to be transcoded, you don't need a powerful machine and you can use WD Live TV boxes to play the content on the other TVs throughout the house.

It you're gonna run a Plex server, then you'll want something fairly powerful to transcode in a timely manner so the players aren't waiting for the server to work.

Last edited by Tx Redneck; 03-28-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Cpu usage from Plex and serving only 3 users.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        Cpu usage from Plex and serving only 3 users.
        My plans are to use xbmc and rip everything to a mp4 (seems like the best avenue?) and definitely want 1080p and best sound quality. The pc is pretty stout and will be free so figured is a no brainer. still thinking about a small 4bay server and then a couple of the cheap android set top xbmc boxes for the couple other rooms.

for the pc I think I would need:

better video card
        remote with ir receiver
        possibly bigger power supply (think it has a 250w)
        2tb hard drive (optional)
        xbmc installed
        possibly tuner card at a later time

the pc is 3ghz athlon II x4, 6gb ram

Comment

While xbmc works and your plans sound solid, I'm real partial to Plex. The ui and ux are phenomenal, it's stupid easy to setup and use, the other perk is being able to stream your content anywhere in the world you have Internet access.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to see what it's like, go to plex.tv, sign up and PM me the email address you signed up with and I'll share my server with you.

Comment

While xbmc works and your plans sound solid, I'm real partial to Plex. The ui and ux are phenomenal, it's stupid easy to setup and use, the other perk is being able to stream your content anywhere in the world you have Internet access.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to see what it's like, go to plex.tv, sign up and PM me the email address you signed up with and I'll share my server with you.
            Also can't beat $75 lifetime service...

Comment

I have both plex (non paid for now) and XBMC on my home pc just to play around and I'd agree plex is easier. from my poking around everyone seems to jump to XBMC over time saying it does more and as you grow it will be better. Not sure I need it but just seemed like an easier way to start instead of having to switch over later. either way for now I have both but will have to make a decision eventually.

Comment

Roger that.

Comment

Playing with plex a little today and wanted to try it on my chromecast and tablets. Do I HAVE to buy the plex pass to give it a try pretty much? I guess I can do the one month thing but didn't now if I'm missing something. I'll buy the lifetime once I make a commitment just want to test drive it.

Comment

No sir, you can cast for free. The pass entitles you to early updates and beta versions of you want. It also allows you to sync from your server to mobile device(s) for if/when you're out of your service area.

Comment

My pleasure. Thanks for the opportunity to serve your pc building needs.
                      Big kudos to this guy ^^ for coming over to help me get all of the configuration straight. Highly recommend Bryan to anyone needing computer help.

On another note, I think it's done. While it doesn't look like the first pic, I'm happy. I looked into getting the cut to fit panels and they are stupid expensive so I may just fab out some of my own from abs plastic. Also need to get a few more wdtv's to access from other TV's in the house.

Comment

Working...
                      X