• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Owners Approve New CBA

Owners ratify settlement in major step toward ending NFL lockout

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 21, 2011, 7:06 PM EDT

Getty Images
    In a major step toward ending the NFL lockout, the league’s owners have voted to ratify a proposal settling the players’ antitrust litigation.

This was the key vote that had been anticipated at this NFL owners’ meeting for weeks, but it doesn’t end the lockout in and of itself. The players still need to accept the settlement, and to vote to re-certify their union. Then the owners and players would agree to a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and get back to work.

According to NFL Network, the owners voted 31-0 to approve the settlement, with the Oakland Raiders abstaining.

NFLPA* members will hold a conference call this evening at which they, too, may hold a vote, and if the players accept the same terms that the owners voted to accept, the lockout will be very close to an end.
    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
    Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Players now saying owners are trying to sneak stuff into CBA. Ugggggggg!!

Comment

Yea this totally killed my afternoon, in the length of a churchill cigar i went from yay to FUCK.
      Los Angeles Rams 11-5
      Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

All we need now is for the players to stop being greedy, and we can get back to football. They get paid millions to do a job most guys would kill for, what the fuck do they have to complain about? Get the money your contract says you should get, and shut the fuck up.
        .223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSVT View Post
          All we need now is for the players to stop being greedy, and we can get back to football. They get paid millions to do a job most guys would kill for, what the fuck do they have to complain about? Get the money your contract says you should get, and shut the fuck up.
          I agree. Fuck the players. They are more to blame for all this bullshit than the owners are.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSVT View Post
            Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            I agree. Fuck the players. They are more to blame for all this bullshit than the owners are.
            See, this is exactly what the owners wanted to do. What they did yesterday was on purpose, just to make the players look bad. They knew what they approved wouldn't be approved right away by the players, therefore making the players look like the greedy party. They are both greedy, the owners were just able to make it look like the players are more greedy yesterday.

I don't even think the players even knew what they were voting on yesterday, but I could be wrong.

Comment

And now its coming out that, as usual, the players were taking to twitter too early and mouthing off about crap they knew nothing about. Word today is the contract is just like it was when the NFLPA was there and the only additions were things that only concerned the owners and had nothing to do with the players.

I wish both these greedy parties would just get their shit together and get this show rolling again. Both sides are making way too much for what they do and of course we, the sheeple, are the ones getting it in ass.

Comment

From what I was hearing last night it looks likes the owners made a power move by not only agreeing to these terms, but also making them public and putting the ball in the player's court. If the players vote against it then it puts them in even further bad light with the public as being too demanding and greedy.

Comment

Yeah they put them into a corner but all this crap was agreed to through DeMaurice Smith so why wouldnt the players agree to it unless its true that the owners slipped new stuff in the CBA at the last minute? Im still not crazy about the circus show the owners put out there last night though.

Comment

im getting sick of their crying, someone send a waahbulance to the NFLPA right now. I dont want to hear how your getting screwed, no one throughout this whole deal is getting more screwed than us the fans.
                    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

I remember the last time this happened in the 80's. We still had football and the owners still sold tickets.

Comment

Interesting point

NFL players recieve $700 per pre-season game

All NFL owners combined , 1/4 of a billion dollars

seems a bit lopsided ?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                          Interesting point

NFL players recieve $700 per pre-season game

All NFL owners combined , 1/4 of a billion dollars

seems a bit lopsided ?
                          I read somewhere the players get around $8000 per month depending on tenure. Who knows.

Comment

The biggest thing I see going on here, is the the owners are now shifting the "stall" to the players side.

I'm willing to bet they know the players won't agree to what's in the contract, but want to shift the blame for the hold out on them now. Hell some have even gone as far to say that facilities will be open for players starting Monday.

Doesn't the new CBA force the players to form and join a Union, which is illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              The biggest thing I see going on here, is the the owners are now shifting the "stall" to the players side.

I'm willing to bet they know the players won't agree to what's in the contract, but want to shift the blame for the hold out on them now. Hell some have even gone as far to say that facilities will be open for players starting Monday.

Doesn't the new CBA force the players to form and join a Union, which is illegal?
                              You are right on all accounts and yea it is illegal.

I wonder how much their union fees are?

Comment

Working...
                              X