Liquid Smoke FTW!!!1
    No. No. Naw. Nah. Hell no
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

• If you're wanting local places to eat - Pecan Lodge or Lockhart in Bishop Arts District.

I haven't been to Pecan Lodge yet, but I went to Lockhart this past summer and it was A-Mazing.

I went to Salt Lick south of Austin (Original Location) and that was other-worldly good.

Franklin's in Austin is supposed to be THE BEST, PERIOD. I haven't been, but the line for the place on a daily basis is plenty of indication of how good it is. It's definitely on the bucket list of good BBQ.

Dallas BBQ is pretty good, but you're probably going to have to venture out a bit to find the true A-List places like Franklin's, Salt Lick, Mueller's, etc.
      2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

• I like salt lick a lot...mostly for the ambience and burnt wnds...but i wouldnt even put it on the same list as franklins. I strongly suggest you make the trip asap. We showed up at like 11 or 12 and got served, but still waited 2 hours. We just boozed it up in line and had a tailgate basically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          I like salt lick a lot...mostly for the ambience and burnt wnds...but i wouldnt even put it on the same list as franklins. I strongly suggest you make the trip asap. We showed up at like 11 or 12 and got served, but still waited 2 hours. We just boozed it up in line and had a tailgate basically.
          Oh, trust me, I clearly understand they aren't in the same class.

I'm trying to plan a guy's trip with some of my friend's who are into good BBQ and we're going to just get up super early, drive down to Austin, and get in line really early on like a Saturday.

I remember I had so much at Salt Lick that I thought I might not make it all the way back home cause that BBQ was trying to take me down for the count.
          2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

• We went to Salt Lick when Texas Monthly rated them #1 in the state, and I have to tell you that it was a major disappointment. All the beef was dry and tasteless. As for ambiance, the seating area reeked of trash and we were swarmed by flies. Obviously we went there at a bad time, and BBQ can be like that sometimes. But if I'm headed to Austin for BBQ, I'll just stop in Taylor or Lockhart, thanks.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              We went to Salt Lick when Texas Monthly rated them #1 in the state, and I have to tell you that it was a major disappointment. All the beef was dry and tasteless. As for ambiance, the seating area reeked of trash and we were swarmed by flies. Obviously we went there at a bad time, and BBQ can be like that sometimes. But if I'm headed to Austin for BBQ, I'll just stop in Taylor or Lockhart, thanks.
              Ive had similar experiences with salt lick. They must do some really awesome BBQ on occasion, since so many people rave about it, but they have not been able to reproduce that the two times Ive been there.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                We went to Salt Lick when Texas Monthly rated them #1 in the state, and I have to tell you that it was a major disappointment. All the beef was dry and tasteless. As for ambiance, the seating area reeked of trash and we were swarmed by flies. Obviously we went there at a bad time, and BBQ can be like that sometimes. But if I'm headed to Austin for BBQ, I'll just stop in Taylor or Lockhart, thanks.
                Salt Lick sucks.

Comment

• Oh God.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• So far for me the best has been Blacks in Lockhart Texas. Best BBQ I've had and I've been to most. I'm not standing in line at Frankins or anywhere else for that matter that has a line that you have to stand in for an hour or more.
                    I've been trying to get to Pecan Lodge, but I'm not in Dallas very much and Hutchins in McKinney is pretty damn good. Better than Lockharts in Plano.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                      Salt Lick sucks.
                      X2

Comment

• Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                        X2
                        Yeah it does, at least the one in Round Rock by the Dell diamond does. I was not impressed at all.
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          Yeah it does, at least the one in Round Rock by the Dell diamond does. I was not impressed at all.
                          The sides were a joke, meat was pretty good. Hutchins in Frisco is much better, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            So far for me the best has been Blacks in Lockhart Texas. Best BBQ I've had and I've been to most. I'm not standing in line at Frankins or anywhere else for that matter that has a line that you have to stand in for an hour or more.
                            I've been trying to get to Pecan Lodge, but I'm not in Dallas very much and Hutchins in McKinney is pretty damn good. Better than Lockharts in Plano.
                            You can order a whole brisket ahead of time from Franklin's & Pecan Lodge, and Pecan Lodge has an option called, "Family Style," where you get a big family sized meal pack. There is no waiting in line for either place, that way.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              You can order a whole brisket ahead of time from Franklin's & Pecan Lodge, and Pecan Lodge has an option called, "Family Style," where you get a big family sized meal pack. There is no waiting in line for either place, that way.
                              Pecan Lodge option is now called "The Trough". That's the way to go, we did it last week - in and out in 5 minutes.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
                                I'm probably not going to go to Franklins in any case, I'll just keep going to Blacks. As far as PL, I guess if I lived nearby I would get the togo family pack, but I like to sit down and have a meal.

Hutchins so far has been very impressive. Anytime I have brisket that can be cut with a fork, that is IMO the best smoked brisket.

Comment

Working...
                                X