Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

I don't trust anyone who says salt lick is bad. Overhyped...sure. Its still good BBQ though.
    I'm not saying it sucked, but there is some better BBQ out there for sure. I had Blacks on Labor day weekend and Salt Lick in Roundrock in early November, Blacks by far was better, better Brisket, better sausage and the sides were definitely better. As far as in this area, Hutchins so far for me is the best (east McKinney location).
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• BTW, I had Meshacks, yesterday. Damn I miss that place.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• We had some ribs at Stubbs in downtown Austin. They may have been the best ribs I have ever had.

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          We had some ribs at Stubbs in downtown Austin. They may have been the best ribs I have ever had.
          Stubs is really good, and that creamed spinach ftw

Comment

• Also, if you are in Austin, don't bother with the Moonshine. Ribs were over cooked and the food was really underwhelming.

Comment

I've heard la barbecue in austin is really good as well. Maybe I'll try that this weelend.

I don't trust anyone who says salt lick is bad. Overhyped...sure. Its still good BBQ though.
              It's not bad, it's just not that good. Sure, it is light years ahead of Dickey's, for instance. But their rub is way too salty and not enough emphasis on the meat itself.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• OK so were all on the same page.

Hutchins was awesome at lunchtime... Any other time it sucked.

Has anyone here seen the movie chef? Its got the guys from franklins in it. Thought that was pretty neat.

Comment

• Fast food taste tests, waitresses getting massive tips, the best restaurants across America — these are just a few of the topics Yahoo Food readers loved the most. Mills runs 17th Street Bar & Grill and is the man behind one of the winningest teams at the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.

Austin is number 1

Lockhart, TX number 3

Comment

• So I know it's not brisket, but since it's my first time to cook beef ribs I'm trying to do it a lot like I do the brisket... I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I tried to follow Franklin's advice mostly.

Originally posted by stevo
                    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Hutchins was awesome at lunchtime... Any other time it sucked.
                      The same holds true for any BBQ worth their weight. If you're not there by 12:00, you can't truly Jusge a bbq joint. Personally if I want BBQ I'm in line at 11. BBQ done the proper way, you can't just show up any time and base it on that. These aren't chicken wings you can cook in 10 minutes. It takes time, and lunch is money. Dinner is not. I rarely even eat at a BBQ joint that is open into evening hours, and when I do, I'm reminded why I have that rule. Shit sits in hot boxes all day and dries the fuck out.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        The same holds true for any BBQ worth their weight. If you're not there by 12:00, you can't truly Jusge a bbq joint. Personally if I want BBQ I'm in line at 11. BBQ done the proper way, you can't just show up any time and base it on that. These aren't chicken wings you can cook in 10 minutes. It takes time, and lunch is money. Dinner is not. I rarely even eat at a BBQ joint that is open into evening hours, and when I do, I'm reminded why I have that rule. Shit sits in hot boxes all day and dries the fuck out.
                        Yep, places like Franklin's are usually 100% out by noon.
                        2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          Or gets wrapped in plastic and the entire thing turns into a grease ball.

Rabid...Franklins wasn't out until maybe 2 when I was there a month or so ago. It was a Saturday too. So don't let that scare you from going! They will tell you if they think they have enough for you based on where you are in line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            You know I'm up for a BBQ GTG anytime, bro...
                            Sounds good, I'll holler at you Friday and see what's up.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            BTW, I had Meshacks, yesterday. Damn I miss that place.
                            Man I really need to check them out.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Has anyone here seen the movie chef? Its got the guys from franklins in it. Thought that was pretty neat.
                            Great movie, I had posted something about it last year in this forum. It's on Netflix Streaming for anyone that wants to check it out.

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            So I know it's not brisket, but since it's my first time to cook beef ribs I'm trying to do it a lot like I do the brisket... I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I tried to follow Franklin's advice mostly.

Looking good.

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              We had some ribs at Stubbs in downtown Austin. They may have been the best ribs I have ever had.
                              Stubbs is seriously underrated and underappreciated. He does BBQ chicken better than any other person on the planet.

Comment

Or gets wrapped in plastic and the entire thing turns into a grease ball.
                                Wrapping bbq for holding is a necessary evil. You don't have to wrap to cook but you do have to wrap to hold, period. No way around it. I know a ton of people even wrap when holding in humidified holding cabinets that are specifically designed to hold and reduce/eliminate shrinkage, etc. And it certainly can have negative effects. But you've got to, to be able to cook and serve enough product to turn a profit. BBQ is a horse of a different color when it comes to this. It's a totally different animal when compared to the rest of Foodservice.

It is one of many reasons I want nothing to do with a BBQ dinner at a restaurant. If I cook it myself and plan it for a dinner time serve, that is one thing. Restaurants don't do it that way though.

Comment

Working...
                                X