Mi Dia From Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still need to check this place out.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      I promise you, you won't be disappointed. Any questions just ask. I do believe several of my reco's are in this thread. Too drunk to read it all.
      Thanks. I'm gonna have to drop a few bills tonight because, being from Austin, I love Mexican food and Tex-Mex. That's my main influence in cooking, from chipotle burgers to traditional favorites like carne guisada. I guess I'm a total food nerd because I'm pumped. I told the woman it's a date, so of course she's excited.

After hearing recommendations and looking at the website, my short list for my first visit is:
      Tamales or Tortilla soup as an app
      "Smooth as Silk" or "Big Buck" margarita
      Chipotle Ribs
      Camarones a la diabla
      New Mexico Tampiquena
      Apple wood smoked bacon & Chipotle beef fajitas
      Mexican S'mores

Comment

I'll delete the pics after a couple weeks to make it more reader-friendly.

Where to start? I guess I should start by saying I just got done watching the end of Ok. State and Stanford and I'm STILL stuffed. I literally tried to drop a few bills, and couldn't, which is impressive considering the caliber of food. It wasn't as perfect as I'd expect for the kind of money I spent, but a few of the dishes were exquisite, with one being a complete revelation. Really, my issues with the night were service related for the most part.

Very contemporary building and interior. Inside really reminds me of the new Tex-Mex concepts like Mi Cocina and Casa Rita's.

Salsa was excellent. Verde is perfectly spicy, rojo is very well balanced with the option of mixing the two for a spice level most could really enjoy.

Ordered the "Smooth as silk," and the "Big Buck." I preferred the former, which I knew I would due to the Herradura Silver as opposed to Cazadores Anejo. Mine was $10, hers was $12. Just about the same price as any other new, hip restaurant.

HO-LY SHIT. Camarones a la diabla. These were most likely "colossal" shrimp (~12 count, or about 2-2.5 oz. each, huge!) grilled to perfection. They were VERY LIGHTLY dusted with spices (or it picked it up from the grill), but most of the flavor was due to a grilled, smoky flavor. The dark sauce on the plate is salsa negra and was delicious. Think of it as a light barbeque sauce with a subtle hint of chipotle flavor. Yum. It was served up with sauteed chayote (the stuff on top) which didn't have much flavor, and what according to the menu was supposed to be grilled cheese sope under the chayote. It tasted like mashed potatoes, which isn't a bad thing.

Tamales rounded out our first round. They were very light on the crema, and the individual tamales were masa stuffed with either pork and red sauce or green. For some reason, both green sauce tamales were tough to cut with a fork. The flavors could stand on their own, but would have done better with either more sauce or crema. I've had better, but these were definitely fresh and not super greasy like some of the local, homemade ones I love getting.

This was the revelation. New Mexico Tampiquena. I asked for the flank steak "medium-well," and it came out well done in a few spots and medium in others. None of that mattered. This dish delivered on all accounts. The entire piece of meat was juicy, even the well done spots. The flavor was amazing with a strong presence of lemon/lime juice. The red sauce served on half of the dish was good, but to me, the green sauce meshed with the dish a little better. This was splitting hairs, and unless you're really trying to figure it out, you're not going to slow down while getting this in your mouth as fast as possible. Best flank steak I've ever eaten. San Antonio, Austin, Mexico, home cooking? Nope, Grapevine. Guac was great, too.

Chipotle ribs. Eh. They were extremely tender, were fully colored by a red coating, but no real flavor. They weren't bad, and had a good pork flavor, but no chipotle flavor whatsoever. Very puzzling. It seemed to still have the "silverskin" on also. It's almost as if they were boiled and not seasoned (even though they were red on the outside). They were served with poblano rice, which really only tasted of cilantro, but I enjoyed it and the subtle flavor.

Mexican S'mores. Not bad. It wasn't quite clicking on all cylinders, but pretty good. Maybe it's just my taste buds, or the fact that I haven't eaten much pomegranate, but that flavor just killed it for me. It didn't seem to tie in with the other flavors, and was really just a distraction to how good the dessert could be.

I also had to try the chile-infused tequila on the bottom of the drink menu since I really like Corzo tequila. I had high expectations stemming from having the New Mexican martini at Chuy's, but I was let down. It's a good one if you've never had Chuy's, but if you have, you'll be let down.

After we tabbed out, I wanted another drink, so we went to the bar. I let the bartender pick which marg to make. I told him to make me his favorite, and just as I knew he would, he picked the $14 one. I don't mind paying for an awesome drink (our others were $12, $12, $10), but I knew he'd automatically go for the upsell, and it was HORRIBLE. It was the Capital 3G, and tasted like straight up lemon juice. The bartender explained that they squeeze their own lemon juice, so it might have settled a bit. He proceeded to get another bottle of lemon juice and remade the drink. It was only marginally better than the first, and hard to drink.

Overall, I left very happy, VERY stuffed, and all for $110 plus tip and final drink at the bar. The food is excellent for the most part, and I would recommend it for anyone looking to spend a nice night out.

I won't go into too many details, but the service started out EXTREMELY slow and uninterested in waiting on us, even after I told her that we would be "sampling a bunch of dishes" (as a waiter, you should be seeing dollar signs). It finally picked up after our first round of food was devoured, but that didn't stop her from going and complaining at the host stand, while we're one booth away. It wasn't about us, so I shrugged it off. I left her a measly $20. I would have liked to have dropped $40 for an even $150, but only half a dinner's worth of attentive service, I couldn't. I'll end by saying that's not the kind of service or attitudes I expect to see when I'm dining at a place that charges $20/plate. I'll go back, for sure, but maybe not as often as I thought. Hell, I thought about asking for an application because I could make a killing there.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
          Ask for Ulises, my buddy is a server there and he is funny as all hell.
          x2

Comment

damn, looks good i'm gonna have to drop in and get the camarones and tampiquena (med rare for me).
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Went back tonight for a nice dinner. Again, tried to sample the menu and only spent $97 (not including tip). Sopes, Camarones a la diabla, New Mexican Tampiquena, Chipotle fajitas, two margaritas, and sopapillas a la mode. We were stuffed by the time we got to the sopapillas, but couldn't leave dessert unfinished.

Anyone that hasn't been needs to check it out!

Comment

Service better this time? I have yet to have a single issue, and was disappointed to hear you did the first time around
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Much better. I'll definitely be going back often. I can't get enough of the skirt steak. New Mexican Tampiquena and Bacon/Chipotle Fajitas FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
                    Much better. I'll definitely be going back often. I can't get enough of the skirt steak. New Mexican Tampiquena and Bacon/Chipotle Fajitas FTW!
                    Those fajitas are great. Having them so close by is killing me!!
                    BEWARE OF PEREZ TRANSPORT LLC
                    BEWARE OF EXOTIC TRANSPORT
                    Fernando Perez
                    Alijandra Perez
                    Mesquite, Texas
                    214-680-1415

Comment

Lunch G2G?

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
                        Lunch G2G?
                        Possible, but not today. Gotta get my hair cut. I look like a hippie.
                        BEWARE OF PEREZ TRANSPORT LLC
                        BEWARE OF EXOTIC TRANSPORT
                        Fernando Perez
                        Alijandra Perez
                        Mesquite, Texas
                        214-680-1415

Comment

You know Brent we are as cool as the other side of the pillow, but I've never spent that much at a Mexican food restuarant of any kind. Hell I fed 30 ppl at my daughters college graduation and it was only $380.00 (no gratuity)
                          I'll spend $150.00-$200.00 at RC, Bobs or my favorite Del Friscos, but $100.00-$200.00 for mexican food. I bet I can go to Austin and Big Matt and I can have food, hookers and blow for $200.00...
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            You know Brent we are as cool as the other side of the pillow, but I've never spent that much at a Mexican food restuarant of any kind. Hell I fed 30 ppl at my daughters college graduation and it was only $380.00 (no gratuity)
                            I'll spend $150.00-$200.00 at RC, Bobs or my favorite Del Friscos, but $100.00-$200.00 for mexican food. I bet I can go to Austin and Big Matt and I can have food, hookers and blow for $200.00...
                            You don't HAVE to spend $100-200. They've got normal priced stuff too. You have to realize this isn't your typical Tex Mex, and the food quality is second to none. Just try it. You won't be disappointed, I promise.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Holt the fuck up, did you just promise me? You know my fat ass knows what good food is supposed to taste like, I didn't get this unique physique by eating bullshit!
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                                Holt the fuck up, did you just promise me? You know my fat ass knows what good food is supposed to taste like, I didn't get this unique physique by eating bullshit!
                                lol!

my office is 3 minutes from this place. Looks like I have to give this place a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X