Brine for T-Day Bacon wrapped turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post

So yes, my version did exactly what I said, not just the bacon on the outside.
    Sounds great in theory, but it's not actually doing what you think it is. Fat doesn't transfer to meat when cooking. So instead, it renders, and runs off, thus only keeping the skin from getting tough. Nothing transfers to the poultry muscle. Like I said, I bet it tastes great, and the idea seems to make perfect sense. But that's not what it really does in the real world.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

you didn't make that bacon taste in that turkey!

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        you didn't make that bacon taste in that turkey!
        Someone else did?
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

What amounts of these ingredients are you guys adding? I would like to try this but I need the "I'm a retard who can't cook version" of the recipe. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by kidcapri View Post
            What amounts of these ingredients are you guys adding? I would like to try this but I need the "I'm a retard who can't cook version" of the recipe. Thanks in advance.
            I do mine in the bucket, with enough OJ to cover the turkey (I put bricks in a ziploc to hold it down), and equal parts raw sugar and kosher salt. 1/2 cup each or so. Since you are brining in a bag, make sure to flip/rotate often so all of it gets to soak for plenty of time.

Comment

It's a matter of preference, but I do 1 cup of salt to every gallon of water used. Then wing it with whatever else I put in there.

One recommendation though is to get it all broken down/boiled in a much smaller container if you use a big pot or something. I remember one year stirring for like 30 hours for a few gallons of water trying to get everything dissolved.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Im with the 5gal bucket idea... Alton Brown suggests a cooler

Comment

So how do you keep it cool while it's in the bucket? You put it in a cooler?
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    So how do you keep it cool while it's in the bucket? You put it in a cooler?
                    I have the luxury of a walk in cooler at my disposal.

The other option for most people would be to remove the middle shelves in te spare fridge in the garage. Assuming you have one, of course.

Comment

...or just get a big ass pot or whatever they are called. lol

edit: of course some of this depends on just how big of a turkey you're cooking as well. I prefer to do 2 10-15 lbs turkeys as opposed to 1 20+ pound turkey.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                        ...or just get a big ass pot or whatever they are called. lol

edit: of course some of this depends on just how big of a turkey you're cooking as well. I prefer to do 2 10-15 lbs turkeys as opposed to 1 20+ pound turkey.
                        Thats what we are doing.

I don't really see a need in doing this to a turkey I am going to fry though. Good ideas in here though.

Comment

Sadly I have a 23lb turkey as my Sister picked it up for free when she spent more then $150 (choo$$$$$$$ choo$$$$$$ right? ) at the grocery store. Otherwise I had planned to buy two smaller ones.
                          Originally posted by stevo
                          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I've never had trouble keeping the big birds moist. I'm doing a 21lb bird this thanksgiving. I'll stick to my bag method, it's worked great for the last 5 years. I also boil my salt/seasoning before brining. The first two years I just mixed it in, and most of the salt sat on the bottom and never had a chance to get into the bird.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              Lol. 5 gallon bucket, you fools!
                              My turkey was wider than the bucket, and I didn't want. To stain or leave an odor in my ice chest

Comment

if you weave the bacon you wont have to use so many tooth picks

92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
                                15 GT w/PP

Comment

Working...
                                X