Finally going to get paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Do you often contradict yourself, or is this just for our entertainment?
    I respond to your points you don't respond to mine.

Comment

• So, why is it that it takes 5 years to drive a train when the companies are paying top dollar for operators?

Justification of high pay?

Labor union bureaucracy?

Job security?

Elitist choo choo demeanor?

Or just a tough task for the mouth breathers?

Comment

So, why is it that it takes 5 years to drive a train when the companies are paying top dollar for operators?

Labor union bureaucracy?

Job security?

None of the above. Being an engineer is seen as a promotion and you have to put your time in and learn other positions first. You can't walk into it off the street. You have to crawl before you walk.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
          None of the above. Being an engineer is seen as a promotion and you have to put your time in and learn other positions first. You can't walk into it off the street. You have to crawl before you walk.
          That's a shitload of crawling for getting in the driver's seat. What comes after engineer?

Comment

So, why is it that it takes 5 years to drive a train when the companies are paying top dollar for operators?

Labor union bureaucracy?

Job security?

I am sure tenure pays a huge role in that. I bet once someone is an engineer they will be at that job for a very long time. Making it difficult for others to gain that position. The guys see they have a cushy gig with good pay and settle.

It happens all the time in all manners of industries.

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              I am sure tenure pays a huge role in that. I bet once someone is an engineer they will be at that job for a very long time. Making it difficult for others to gain that position. happens all the time in all manners of industries.
              They're just talking traing and qualifications. Not actually getting the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I am sure tenure pays a huge role in that. I bet once someone is an engineer they will be at that job for a very long time. Making it difficult for others to gain that position. The guys see they have a cushy gig with good pay and settle.

It happens all the time in all manners of industries.
                True, it happens in mine and I now have it after putting in the time and effort in getting there.

Comment

That's a shitload of crawling for getting in the driver's seat. What comes after engineer?

That depends on the person. If you wanted to you could get into management and the sky is the limit. The FRA deems that certain management positions must be filled by a licensed engineer. It doesn't matter how much education someone has if they don't have an engineer's license they are limited to what management jobs they can hold if they go into management right off the street out of college.

Or some people really enjoy running trains so they do it for 30 years and retire with a very nice pension.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                    True, it happens in mine and I now have it after putting in the time and effort in getting there.
                    Ya, but are you making it out to be more than what it is? Jockeying for position is far different than needing 5 years because of the technical demand.

Comment

• Oh, the ad hominem!

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        Oh, the ad hominem!
                        Not when the OP assumes a superior role in order to hold the position. The gloves come off, then.

Comment

Not when the OP assumes a superior role in order to hold the position. The gloves come off, then.
                          The gloves may come off, but you aren't proving his position wrong by attacking him. Attack the stance, not the man.

Comment

• So I'm a manager at McDonalds, you can't exactly go down to your local community college and take classes to get where I'm at. It takes years of training and experience, learning the other positions and what not.

If the job description requires you to put in time, pass a few tests and have a high school degree, then yes, anyone can get that position if they could breath out of their mouth.

Don't try and church it up, Joe Dirte'.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              The gloves may come off, but you aren't proving his position wrong by attacking him. Attack the stance, not the man.
                              It was attacked long ago without a decent rebuttal. Did you read the whole thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                                So I'm a manager at McDonalds, you can't exactly go down to your local community college and take classes to get where I'm at. It takes years of training and experience, learning the other positions and what not.

If the job description requires you to put in time, pass a few tests and have a high school degree, then yes, anyone can get that position if they could breath out of their mouth.

Don't try and church it up, Joe Dirte'.
                                Did you by any chance attend Hamburger University?

Comment

Working...
                                X