No announcement yet.

What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread was started for entertainment purposes, didn't you realize that?

It's only one of many......

e.g., see the responses below, LOL
    Last edited by The King; 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• I have no idea what is going on in here. I just think it is funny the King found someone who can banter back and forth just as much.

Ying and Yang up in here.
      Last edited by mstng86; 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• show tits

Comment

• Yea, show tits!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            I have no idea what is going in here. I just think it is funny the King found someone who can banter back and forth just as much.

Ying and Yang up in here.

Works for me, my posit won't change.

Comment

• Originally posted by forbes View Post
              i think both of you are really missing the facts. the fact is neither one of you can prove your statements with fact.
              Correct, but holding the default position, disbelief, I'm not required to prove my position. Being as the Theist is making the positive claim, they have the burden of proof.
              Originally posted by forbes
              Human nature (not to be misrepresented by fact) is to believe in something.
              If you’re going to make a positive claim, you’ve got to provide some supporting evidence. Also, I lack a belief in the supernatural, i.e. god/gods, that doesn’t mean I believe in something.

you either believe there is a higher power (god etc) or you believe there is not. bottom line is you both believe.. just in different ideas, philosophies etc.
              I disagree. I believe in demonstrable, testable, falsifiable facts. Theists have faith. While they are both beliefs, they are different kinds of beliefs.

on a different note, if ya'll are just trying to keep this going to see who is the most eloquent debater (which it seems you are) continue on. I enjoy the debate
              This helps keep me entertained. I don’t expect to make anyone an atheist. I’m not even arguing that god/gods don’t exist. I am arguing that in order to honestly call something truth, as The King has done, you must be able provide evidence to support your claim, which he has repeatedly refused to do.
              Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                Sorry to have to correct you again, but the Bible refutes your statement above. And, since I accept the Bible as true, your statement to me is false.
                So, you're solipsistic? If that's the case, why even bother discussing anything, as truth is all relative to the belief of the individual. You could claim that gravity didn't work for you, and it was truth because you accept it as truth. It makes no logical sense.

Originally posted by The King
                Also what is irrelevant to you is only that, irrelevant to you, with no bearing on anyone else.
                You're correct, as long as you strip away all context. But anyone could cherry pick one point, out of context, and argue it. That's why I argue your statements in context.

Your book states that you were made in the image of God, i.e. you look like him. That's what an image s. That says nothing about any other characteristics. So, you do not have your deities characteristics, or you would be your deity. Assuming you don't believe you are, what is of consequence to God is irrelevant to whether or not you should find anything of any consequence.

What I find irrelevant, or you find irrelevant doesn't change that your equivocation is false.
                Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddhattter;304786

If you’re going to make a positive claim, you’ve got to provide some supporting evidence. Also, I lack a belief in the supernatural, i.e. god/gods, that doesn’t mean I [COLOR="blue"
                  believe[/COLOR] in something.

I disagree. I believe in demonstrable, testable, falsifiable facts. Theists have faith. While they are both beliefs, they are different kinds of beliefs.

This helps keep me entertained. I don’t expect to make anyone an atheist. I’m not even arguing that god/gods don’t exist. I am arguing that in order to honestly call something truth, as The King has done, you must be able provide evidence to support your claim, which he has repeatedly refused to do.
                  just for giggles you said "Also, I lack a belief in the supernatural, i.e. god/gods, that doesn’t mean I believe in something."
                  but then you come back saying " I believe in demonstrable, testable, falsifiable facts."
                  i'm not one to say what my beliefs are... except to say i don't push them on anyone else... just thought i would keep it going for entertainment purposes
                  first class white trash

Comment

just for giggles you said "Also, I lack a belief in the supernatural, i.e. god/gods, that doesn’t mean I believe in something."
                    but then you come back saying " I believe in demonstrable, testable, falsifiable facts."
                    i'm not one to say what my beliefs are... except to say i don't push them on anyone else... just thought i would keep it going for entertainment purposes[/QUOTE]

Your correct. That is what I said.

However, context is where it breaks down. In the context of the first statement;
                    Originally posted by forbes View Post
                    This would be belief with no evidence to support the claim. In that regard, faith and belief are not mutually exclusive.

The second statement:
                    This would be belief with evidence to support the claim. as the facts have already been demonstrated and tested, and shown to be falsifiable.

This is the perfect example of faith and belief not being mutually exclusive, but not the same thing. It's the contextual definitions.

i'm not one to say what my beliefs are... except to say i don't push them on anyone else... just thought i would keep it going for entertainment purposes
                    I can be a bit of a completionist at times, so I'll address a point here. This is not in any way an argument with your statement, but the implications of your statement.

[rant]
                    Who believes what is independent of the truth. However, no claim to truth can be made without sufficient evidence to support the claim. This is known as the Null Hypothesis. I have and will continue to concede that The King might be right. However, until there is sufficient evidence to support his claim, he has to place calling it truth. Otherwise anyone who claims anything could run around telling the "truth" and science could not function. All the technology and science that has shaped the way we live is founded on the scientific method and peer review. This removes faith from the equation.

This is why I've not stated that god/gods/the supernatural doesn't exist. My belief, or anyone else's, one way or the other is a non-factor.

[/rant]

Comment

• Oh, yea,

Originally posted by Parasite Eva

Woman talk, does it really matter?
                      Show tits!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
                        You're correct, as long as you strip away all context. But anyone could cherry pick one point, out of context, and argue it. That's why I argue your statements in context.

Your book states that you were made in the image of God, i.e. you look like him. That's what an image s. That says nothing about any other characteristics. So, you do not have your deities characteristics, or you would be your deity. Assuming you don't believe you are, what is of consequence to God is irrelevant to whether or not you should find anything of any consequence.

What I find irrelevant, or you find irrelevant doesn't change that your equivocation is false.
                        "....you look like him, that's what an image is" is but one definition, the simplest one but not the correct one. Too bad you mistakenly thought that would support your claim....yet another that's been rebutted

Image, as in likeness. That's what an image is. For someone who claims to have been on this "side of the fence" you show an extraordinary lack of Biblical understanding. Since God as revealed in the Bible is not a physical being, there can be no way you "look like him" in the Biblical context. Thanks for attempting what became an amusing, though false, interpretation though.

Comment

• i would have to agree with your rant, just was stirring it up a lil
                          first class white trash

Comment

i would have to agree with your rant, just was stirring it up a lil
                            Stirring the pot doesn't work here, LOL. Try the Back Porch.

Maddhatter's doing fine in this corner of the forum. He's stated his position and arguments, and hasn't got all e-upset in the process like a few others have.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                              "....you look like him, that's what an image (i)s" is but one definition, the simplest one (no surprise there, LOL) but not the correct one. Too bad you mistakenly thought that would support your claim....yet another that's
                              been rebutted

Image, as in likeness. That's what an image is. For someone who claims to have been on this "side of the fence" you show an extraordinary lack of Biblical understanding. Since God as revealed in the Bible is not a physical being, there can be no way you "look like him" in the Biblical context. Thanks for attempting what became an amusing, though false, interpretation though.
                              Ah, silly child. An image is ocular, i.e it must be seen. Therefore, saying likeness is still only applicable in the appearance sense.

For someone who was on that side of the fence, there is no reason to attempt to interpret a holy text, in any way. As it would mean exactly what is said, as it is stated. If it was inspired, than it would have said likeness if it was meant to be read likeness. That's the thing about holy books, without interpretations, which would not be required if it was handed down by an omniscient being, they all look like bronze-age superstitions.

Or do you think that you know what the bible was supposed to say better than God, who you claim dictated it?

Comment

i would have to agree with your rant, just was stirring it up a lil
                                Careful. If you stir it too much, you might bruise my e-peen.

Comment

Working...
                                X