What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
    You want proof that would required me to go and research and spend time. After doing said research and time it would not help. Yes, some events in the bible can be proven, some can't. It is called faith when you believe in something that you can not see.
    By your refusal to answer my questions you go against the supposed word of your god.

1st Peter 3:15
    But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.

In doing so you either made the decision for yourself that the "word of god" is not justification enough to act on, or you're picking and choosing which portions of the bible you live by. If what you claim is true, who are you to go against what your god says? Are you more powerful? More knowledgable perhaps? What is your reasoning for ignoring gods instructions to you?

Would you care to clarify your position?

Disclaimer: this post is based on the presupposition that god exists, and the bible a written record of his instructions.

Comment

• You are asking for proof by showing you physical things or documentation of said things. That is not what that verse is saying. If you would like I would be glad to explain the path to salvation and what the Lord has done for us. I would probably be accused of cramming my beliefs down your throat.
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        By your refusal to answer my questions you go against the supposed word of your god.

1st Peter 3:15
        But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.
        I thought of this several times even during this thread. The problem with it is that you will not except the Bible as truth. So it wouldnt matter, right?

I'll also quote you another...
        Matthew 7:6
        Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Now, if you truly wanted or was seaking a answer instead of provoking a argument 1st Peter 3:15
        would apply.
        Photobucket

Comment

• I am not stepping into this debate...but I will post this for your reading. And no...I did not pull this up in ref. to this debate...I have read most of the discrepancies listed and believe the discrepancy lies in those who wrote those particular books.

But...for anyone who believes EVERY word and letter of the Bible..this causes them to have ulcers. I guess it comes down to interpretation...which causes further issues. My interpretation may not be the same as yours.

In the author's opinion, these verses represent inconsistencies which would not be characteristic of inspiration by a perfect "God." Note: The author makes a subtle distinction between the terms "inconsistency" and "contradiction"; please see his explanation in the disclaimer at the top of this article, and keep in mind that at least some of the listed inconsistencies could certainly be considered biblical contradictions.
          Originally posted by grove rat
          shiiiiiit.. i love em thick

Comment

• Originally posted by V8tt View Post
            I am not stepping into this debate...but I will post this for your reading. And no...I did not pull this up in ref. to this debate...I have read most of the discrepancies listed and believe the discrepancy lies in those who wrote those particular books.

But...for anyone who believes EVERY word and letter of the Bible..this causes them to have ulcers. I guess it comes down to interpretation...which causes further issues. My interpretation may not be the same as yours.

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...istencies.html
            Ulcers? Really? Man, I have to tell you. The life I use to live before this new life gave me the ulcers. What a burden that was lifted in the change.
            Photobucket

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
              Ulcers? Really? Man, I have to tell you. The life I use to live before this new life gave me the ulcers. What a burden that was lifted in the change.
              Good. I am glad for you that your beliefs and faith have given you a better life than you previously had. It SHOULD be that way for people who devote themselves to something like this. I was simply pointing out the confusion/heartache/ulcers etc. that some of the "contradictions" and/or "inconsistencies" may cause for those who follow every letter of the Bible. I personally think the Bible is a compendium of stories about experiences heard/seen (I am not saying they did or did not happen). Either way...it is has good morals to live by.

CEYKO summed it up best..it all comes down to faith. You bet your sweet ass that when/if Jesus arives in a golden chariot people who formerly were skeptics/non-believers will bow down at his feet and call him Lord.
              Originally posted by grove rat
              shiiiiiit.. i love em thick

Comment

• Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                You are asking for proof by showing you physical things or documentation of said things. That is not what that verse is saying. If you would like I would be glad to explain the path to salvation and what the Lord has done for us. I would probably be accused of cramming my beliefs down your throat.
                So now you're putting words into gods mouth by adding rules and exceptions to "his word." It specifically states to give an answer to every man that asks you. So, in the matter of two posts you've dismissed what you say god is telling you, and added rules and stipulations to that very same word.
                Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                I thought of this several times even during this thread. The problem with it is that you will not except the Bible as truth. So it wouldnt matter, right?

I'll also quote you another...
                Matthew 7:6
                Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Now, if you truly wanted or was seaking a answer instead of provoking a argument 1st Peter 3:15
                would apply
                I am doing both. I'm provoking an argument because no one that I have EVER encountered has ever been able to satisfactorily answer the question that started this thread, let alone the questions that were posed within it. I am seriously seeking an answer because I don't like being wrong, and if a person is able to prove the existence of a deity, I would be wrong. With the lack of credible evidence I've been provided with I have no choice but to reject the claim that god exists and the bible being true.

Without proof, belief is illogical.

Therefore 1 Peter 3:15 still applies.

Comment

So now you're putting words into gods mouth by adding rules and exceptions to "his word." It specifically states to give an answer to every man that asks you. So, in the matter of two posts you've dismissed what you say god is telling you, and added rules and stipulations to that very same word.

I am doing both. I'm provoking an argument because no one that I have EVER encountered has ever been able to satisfactorily answer the question that started this thread, let alone the questions that were posed within it. I am seriously seeking an answer because I don't like being wrong, and if a person is able to prove the existence of a deity, I would be wrong. With the lack of credible evidence I've been provided with I have no choice but to reject the claim that god exists and the bible being true.

Without proof, belief is illogical.

Therefore 1 Peter 3:15 still applies.
                  Then its not what I can prove to you, but what you are willing to chance. I say give it a shot. A honest go at it. Go to a church service and open your Bible and read it. I believe that in a short time you will begin to see what true faith is. Its completely awsome to what will happen to your life. Then there will be no denying it. The truth will set you free my friend.

Its not about being super religious or even religious. Its just having a relationship with God. Not a pretend imaginary friend. You will know what I'm talking about when it happens.

I'm no saint and I probably wont ever be the guide on in God's parade, but I am loved.

The Bible will prove "itself" if you will give it a chance. Come and see why its called the "Living Word."
                  Photobucket

Comment

• To do what you suggests requires to accept either the bible, or god being true before one even engages in what you recommend. I have read (most) of the bible, and if anything it makes me wonder just what's going through believers minds when they worship such a being. He's childish, misogynistic, hypocritical, murderous, and has an ego large enough to make DFWM blush. It's like a bad game of Black and White. I refuse to worship such a being.

Judging by the evidence brought forth (where there was any to begin with) there is not enough of it to justify a belief that the bible is true. Every single talking point has been either disproven, shown to be illogical, or a mistruth (I can't call them a lie, because they may not have been done on purpose.)

Comment

To do what you suggests requires to accept either the bible, or god being true before one even engages in what you recommend. I have read (most) of the bible, and if anything it makes me wonder just what's going through believers minds when they worship such a being. He's childish, misogynistic, hypocritical, murderous, and has an ego large enough to make DFWM blush. It's like a bad game of Black and White. I refuse to worship such a being.

Judging by the evidence brought forth (where there was any to begin with) there is not enough of it to justify a belief that the bible is true. Every single talking point has been either disproven, shown to be illogical, or a mistruth (I can't call them a lie, because they may not have been done on purpose.)
                      Then why waste your time asking? Go on and live your life happy in your beliefs. I just don't understand why the hell you'd want us to try proving to you what you have already searched as childish, misogynistic, hypocritical, murderous and untrue. I mean, if you are that dead set in knowing this, then why all this?

Edit: And next time you read the Bible, (assuming you ever do) quit reading it like a book and actually study it. Dont skip over what you dont understand. Thats probabbly the problem.
                      Photobucket

Comment

• It's not a text book, there's no need to study it like it is one lol.

Why waste my time asking? On more than a few occasions people have attempted to claim that the bible is true, and god exists. In doing so they've attempted to legislate what the bible says, luckily to be shot down (usually) by the courts. This thread was created because I was bored, and look at what it turned into. Now it serves two purposes. 1) my entertainment. 2) to show the lack of evidence on the side of the bible, other than "The bible says it's true, so it must be." Have you seen some of the gems in this thread? Someone completely changed the order creation happened in Genesis. I mean, it's in black and white, that's what it says, there's no room for interpretation there.

Here's a little twist on Pascal's Wager for all of you "What if god does exist, so I should believe just in case" people.

Last edited by racrguy; 05-19-2011, 07:02 PM. Reason: added the video.

Comment

• LOL @ "you people"......sums up the frustration of the O.P. in this thread perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                            LOL @ "you people"......sums up the frustration of the O.P. in this thread perfectly.
                            Says the person from an uneducated position.

Comment

It's not a text book, there's no need to study it like it is one lol.

Why waste my time asking? On more than a few occasions people have attempted to claim that the bible is true, and god exists. In doing so they've attempted to legislate what the bible says, luckily to be shot down (usually) by the courts.
                              I knew it. You can never break it down and study it enough. Thats the beauty of it. You can get a billion times more out of it studying through a Greek and Hebrew concordance. Even getting ahold of a study Bible will open up a whole new place. Man, you don't even know the beauty of the Word. You have gotten into the religious line and filled your plate with sour grapes and molded bread, and then report what a distasteful dinner it was. I'm truly sorry that you have had a bad taste of Christianity, but don't look at others and follow them. Begin your own journey. You understand?
                              Photobucket

Comment

• Wrong. This isn't a case of "something bad happened to me." This is a case of "There's no proof, so why believe it?"

Stop attempting to dive deeper into why I'm an atheist, I've already said it more than once, there is not enough evidence to support the belief that the bible is true and that god exists. Short of that proof, no amount of emotional pleading, or "give it an honest shot" is going to change my mind. You take things on faith, I require more than someone's word that something is true.

"What Can Be Asserted Without Evidence Can Be Dismissed Without Evidence"- Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Working...
                                X