Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So here's a question for the believers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jester View Post
    exactly. it's pretty crazy isn't it?
    Yes. It is.

Comment

Not gonna do it...

Comment

lol, you said it!
        Ded

Comment

lol, knew you guys would run with that one!
          May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
          Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            Let's take it one step further, and say the person in question believes Jesus is his savior, but doesn't like the necessity of the whole setup, and thinks God's a dick all the same for it. Can you hate god, accept his plan, and still get into heaven?
            The only reason you don't like him is because for some reason, you're only capable of seeing things from a human being's perspective. Look at it from God's perspective. If he kills 3 billion people, eh, no big deal. While a human being would see this as horrific, God would see this is simply moving 3 billion people around. To him, there is no such thing as what we would call "death". I only use that analogy because in the past you seemed to think he was awful because of the way he has treated man. But you have to look at it from more than just one perspective if you ever want to have a hope of understanding it. Because rest assured God see's all perspectives not just yours. Or his.

Also you say you don't like the whole "Christ" idea. Well again if you look at it objectively, there are quite a few things about it that do add up. Now, with Jesus Christ having lived and died, no one can ever say that God has not walked a mile in our shoes. And, even though God can understand what we go through without having to actually do it, (unlike so many of us) it was the right thing to do. After all, how can you ever really hold someone to some kind of standard, that you yourself never had to live? Not just hold yourself to that standard, but really LIVE and die the standard? You couldn't. So sending his son was the "right thing to do". And God will always, always, always, do the right thing. Whether or not some would deem it necessary. Now obviously that is not the entirety of that whole scenario, not by a long shot. But looking at it that way helped me along when I too had some problems with all that.

Comment

Jester, I think its plum groovy that you have found Jesus and the peace that he gives. You are now in the position from the other side wishing there was something great that you could say to convince others. All you can do is give your testimony and hope that someone will get it. But with yours, mine and some others, tomorrow will bring up the testimonies that we have layed before them and bring life yet to another. Congrats brother.
              Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                Jester, I think its plum groovy that you have found Jesus and the peace that he gives. You are now in the position from the other side wishing there was something great that you could say to convince others. All you can do is give your testimony and hope that someone will get it. But with yours, mine and some others, tomorrow will bring up the testimonies that we have layed before them and bring life yet to another. Congrats brother.
                Thanks, man. Yeah, it is really friggin weird being on this side now. I dont begin to act like I understand any of it, I am just different. I don't look down on people for not believing or judge anybody different. Now, if I am asked, I just tell them how I feel and leave it at that. I think pushing people towards God is doing the exact opposite. That is why I always got along so well with Denny and Danny. Big time believers, but do not pressure you or make you feel bad about what you believe. that is the way it should be
                May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyJustinTaliwhacker95 View Post
                  The only reason you don't like him is because for some reason, you're only capable of seeing things from a human being's perspective. Look at it from Emperor Palpatine's perspective. If he kills 3 billion people, eh, no big deal. While a human being would see this as horrific, Emperor Palpatine would see this is simply moving 3 billion people around. To him, there is no such thing as what we would call "death". I only use that analogy because in the past you seemed to think he was awful because of the way he has treated man. But you have to look at it from more than just one perspective if you ever want to have a hope of understanding it. Because rest assured Emperor Palpatine see's all perspectives not just yours. Or his.

Also you say you don't like the whole "Darth Vader" idea. Well again if you look at it objectively, there are quite a few things about it that do add up. Now, with Darth Vader having lived and died, no one can ever say that Emperor Palpatine has not seen what it's like to walk a mile in our shoes. And, even though Emperor Palpatine can understand what we go through without having to actually do it, (unlike so many of us) it was the right thing to do. After all, how can you ever really hold someone to some kind of standard, that you yourself never had to live? Not just hold yourself to that standard, but really LIVE and die the standard? You couldn't. So expecting his apprentice to do it was the "right thing to do". And Emperor Palpatine will always, always, always, do the right thing. Whether or not some would deem it necessary. Now obviously that is not the entirety of that whole scenario, not by a long shot. But looking at it that way helped me along when I too had some problems with all that.
                  o'rly?

Comment

No, not at all. Hinduism is actually the way to go. Wait... for someone like you, probably that african tribal religion where they eat their dead. That one is more along your thought process.

Comment

The age old saying goes, "If I am wrong and you are right, what have I lost - nothing, and what have you gained - nothing. But if I am right and you are wrong, what have I gained - everything, and what have you lost - everything."
                      Photobucket

Comment

The age old saying goes, "If I am wrong and you are right, what have I lost - nothing, and what have you gained - nothing. But if I am right and you are wrong, what have I gained - everything, and what have you lost - everything."
                        Pascal's Wager? Really?

Sorry, but if your god doesn't exist, you wasted your entire life either pissing off some other god/gods or suffering from a manageable form of schizophrenia.

The problem with Pascal's reasoning, is the assumption that christianity and atheism is a true dichotomy, i.e. the only two options. Unfortunately for those who think this is a valid line of reasoning, they are not. By hedging your bets on any one god, you are risking the "hell"s of every other concept, discrediting the idea that if you're wrong you lose nothing.

Pascal's Wager isn't even a good justification. As it's implying that a good reason to believe is because that god is thug. That god apparently thinks that someone trying to avoid the threat of eternal suffering is genuine in it's worship and praise. Which is akin to the idea that information retrieved via torture is accurate due to the prisoner fearing the torture, when they will likely say anything to avoid the torture, true or not.

And, as a final note, I personally wouldn't refer to Pascal's wager as "age old" as the works of Shakespeare are older than it is.
                        Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
                          Pascal's Wager? Really?

Sorry, but if your god doesn't exist, you wasted your entire life either pissing off some other god/gods or suffering from a manageable form of schizophrenia.

The problem with Pascal's reasoning, is the assumption that christianity and atheism is a true dichotomy, i.e. the only two options. Unfortunately for those who think this is a valid line of reasoning, they are not. By hedging your bets on any one god, you are risking the "hell"s of every other concept, discrediting the idea that if you're wrong you lose nothing.

Pascal's Wager isn't even a good justification. As it's implying that a good reason to believe is because that god is thug. That god apparently thinks that someone trying to avoid the threat of eternal suffering is genuine in it's worship and praise. Which is akin to the idea that information retrieved via torture is accurate due to the prisoner fearing the torture, when they will likely say anything to avoid the torture, true or not.

And, as a final note, I personally wouldn't refer to Pascal's wager as "age old" as the works of Shakespeare are older than it is.
                          Lol. Its a poor analogy I agree, but damn! Its more food for thought than gosple.

Its kind of like, I have bread and you dont. If there is no bread tomorrow, I will eat and you will starve. I must ask...Do you now feel the threat of starving? I should hope not. But it might remind you that you may need a loaf. If you are a bread eater that is...
                          Photobucket

Comment

Lol. Its a poor analogy I agree, but damn! Its more food for thought than gosple.
                            I agree. While I appreciate people not spouting off bible quotes to defend their religion, a poor analogy is not much better.

Originally posted by BlackSnake
                            Its kind of like, I have bread and you dont. If there is no bread tomorrow, I will eat and you will starve. I must ask...Do you now feel the threat of starving? I should hope not.
                            If the only reason I wanted your bread was because I would starve, then I do not want bread because I should, because food is required for me to live, it's because I fear the alternative, starving and death. So, it is an implication of theistic thuggery to imply that a god would take any acts as genuine that are done in an attempt to avoid punishment.

Originally posted by BlackSnake
                            But it might remind you that you may need a loaf. If you are a bread eater that is...
                            The problem here, in regards to the bread analogy as an alternative explanation of Pascal's wager, is that you think that you have bread and that if I don't have bread I can only have nothing. While, to turn this into a proper analogy, there would be an infinite number of other foodstuffs that have the same demonstrable results, but all of it is poisoned except, possibly, one and there is no way to know which one isn't poisoned.

The theist, would be grabbing the bread, without knowing if it's poisoned or not and devouring it assured that it is not poisoned and denying that any other foodstuff is even an option.

The atheist is not eating anything because there is no way to tell which one is poisoned.
                            Last edited by Maddhattter; 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: The n't makes a big difference when you leave it off of is.
                            Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

Touch'e. I can appreciate your well educated posts. I wish I could articulate my thoughts the way you can. Prolly too smart to rely on faith.

Edit: Hope you took no offence to that statement. I wasnt trying to be a smart ass.
                              Last edited by BlackSnake; 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM.
                              Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyJustinTaliwhacker95 View Post
                                No, not at all. Hinduism is actually the way to go. Wait... for someone like you, probably that african tribal religion where they eat their dead. That one is more along your thought process.
                                I much prefer eating newborn babies, they're more tender.

Touch'e. I can appreciate your well educated posts. I wish I could articulate my thoughts the way you can. Prolly too smart to rely on faith.

Edit: Hope you took no offence to that statement. I wasnt trying to be a smart ass.
                                I'm pretty sure I speak for both of us when I say faith is utterly useless and solves nothing. But you don't have to be smart to not rely on faith. I'd venture a guess as to say that you only use faith in your belief in god, everywhere else in your life you apply some degree of skepticism and require even a small amount of evidence that justifies your actions regarding those things.

I'm not near as good at explaining myself as he is, so don't take this post as me attacking you, because that's not the intention.
                                Last edited by racrguy; 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X