Student Loan Interest rates are they "Criminal?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mixedup View Post

Cliff notes - Gov program is needed (and a little free market competition would help,) but seems like rates are screw job.
    NOOOOO!!!!

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
    Simple. More and More people want to go to college and are willing to pay the price to do. It is a business. They have not seen a decline in application due to rising prices so why stop now?
    Precisely.

Sure, there are more people going into debt, but there is also a higher number of successful, skilled people for the workforce that understand how to get rid of said debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
      NOOOOO!!!!

Precisely.

Sure, there are more people going into debt, but there is also a higher number of successful, skilled people for the workforce that understand how to get rid of said debt.
      My degree has been worth it to me since the day I graduated. Hell, it was making me decent money as an intern while I was completing it. I have not once regretted the debt it took to get me where I am at now. Sure I would have loved to graduate debt free....but I do not regret it. I also am responsible enough to get it paid off in a reasonable amount of time without killing myself to do so.
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        That's just it, UoP and places like trade schools are accredited, by an accrediting board set up by the trade school industry, so you'd end up having to make a governmental accrediting board.
        I had to look up UoPs accrediation, because I had always heard it was unaccreredited. Only certain UoP programs are accredited not the entire school

but anyway if a school is accredited than there is some manner of controlling them already all that has to be done is to enforce the accreditation standards to an acceptable level, such as whats already done with graduation rates.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
          Even the cheapest(public) Universities are 3,500 to 4k per semester, without books, room and board. Then their is this pesky little problem of eating and putting clothes on your back.

Unless you have invested in "Texas tomorrow" fund or "EE Bonds", or just filthy rich (parents that is). You will have to procure money for college. I am not talking about worthless correspondence degree mills. A honest to God University. (UNT,UT,A&M etc....) There are a lot of good schools in Texas. College is expensive. Nothing wrong with borrowing funds for this.

I say do what it takes to get the skin on the wall. You will never regret it. In addition, you will out earn your peers without a degree exponentially every year. Being a Phoenix is not what I am talking about.
          Umm, A&M Commerce is 2k full load
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Problem is, people who really shouldn't go to college, go. That inflates demand because you have so many warm bodies that have been convinced that you graduate school and then go to college despite they suck at school and will be working in jobs that wont' require it.

Supply and demand.

Comment

Just spitballing here, but would an increase in vocational schools to take some of the supply down a notch help or hurt the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                Problem is, people who really shouldn't go to college, go. That inflates demand because you have so many warm bodies that have been convinced that you graduate school and then go to college despite they suck at school and will be working in jobs that wont' require it.

Supply and demand.
                You mean I can't do anything with a degree in Women's Studies???

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                  Of course you can. Teaching Women's Studies to more idiots who think the degree with do something. It's right up there with art history and band.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                    You can make me another Grande Americano with 3 raw sugars!
                    May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                      I had to look up UoPs accrediation, because I had always heard it was unaccreredited. Only certain UoP programs are accredited not the entire school
                      That's the same thing with ANY college. Yale has a Divinity program, would you put it in the same league as one of their science, music, or literature programs?

Side note: After searching Yale's divinity school website, I can find no accreditation information on that particular school.

but anyway if a school is accredited than there is some manner of controlling them already all that has to be done is to enforce the accreditation standards to an acceptable level, such as whats already done with graduation rates.
                      Don't you think it's a bit odd that the education segment those types of schools fit into have their own accrediting boards, apart from standard university accrediting bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                        Just spitballing here, but would an increase in vocational schools to take some of the supply down a notch help or hurt the situation?
                        I'm of the belief that at 16 you should have the option of graduating as you do now, or entering a trade for the next 2 years. You'd take people with no skills and bad grades and teach them something that would get them started

Comment

Comment

Don't borrow money on education, grind that shit out on your dime.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Don't borrow money on education, grind that shit out on your dime.
                              Yeah. The few dollars u save on interest will be made up over the years of holding down unskilled jobs that don't require a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                                Yeah. The few dollars u save on interest will be made up over the years of holding down unskilled jobs that don't require a degree.
                                I have no debt and I paid for my school while working. I've done well. That exact kind of attitude is why people are buried in shit, and can't get jobs because they acquired education without any work experience. If you have the drive and motivation you can do both. Many people on here have done it. As for the few dollars, I guess your education didn't include finance. I look at resumes all day long of people trying to get a job and I move onto the next one because they have zero work experience. Going to school for 4+ years out of highschool definitely worked in days past. However, in today's current economic climate, it's a mistake. I deal with people on a daily basis that are in financial ruin because of student loans. When I was in college, I had tons and tons of friends that were careless in their studies and squandered tens of thousands because they were not paying for it with their own money. It adds a level of respect and focus you just can't appreciate otherwise. Everyone has their own way of moving through life, I'm not saying mine is best, but I feel I'm considerably better off than many of my generation because of my choice to not borrow a few hundred grand for college.
                                Last edited by CJ; 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM.
                                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                                X