Student Loan Interest rates are they "Criminal?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    Going to school for 4+ years out of highschool definitely worked in days past. However, in today's current economic climate, it's a mistake.
    Lmao
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
      Lmao
      It's a shame you can't comprehend what I'm saying. I have at least 100 resumes for every position with college grads with no experience. You hear the news nightly with kids unable to find work.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        It's a shame you can't comprehend what I'm saying. I have at least 100 resumes for every position with college grads with no experience. You hear the news nightly with kids unable to find work.
        It's a shame you paint with such broad strokes.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          It's a shame you paint with such broad strokes.
          Yet you cherry pick a very specific line while ignoring the broad picture you clearly grasp. I'm simply pointing out a very real climate out there and offering an alternative to blind ignorant thinking. Going to school full time can damage your chances of a career. Working even part time can put you in a much better situation, its important to have some kind of work experience. Assuming you do get a entry level position your effective salary is lower than someone without student loans.
          Last edited by CJ; 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
            Just spitballing here, but would an increase in vocational schools to take some of the supply down a notch help or hurt the situation?
            In 10 years that will be where the money is ...or at least decent money. Go around to a lot of manufacturing places that have welding. Most of the really good welders are not young. Skilled laborers will be more and more in demand as the current ones begin to retire and less people are going for those kind of careers.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
              You mean I can't do anything with a degree in Women's Studies???
              Work in a sammich shop?
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                In 10 years that will be where the money is ...or at least decent money. Go around to a lot of manufacturing places that have welding. Most of the really good welders are not young. Skilled laborers will be more and more in demand as the current ones begin to retire and less people are going for those kind of careers.
                That's very true, I agree with that 100%, many white collar jobs are becoming over saturated.

Comment

CJ is right. You have a lot of degree holders out there with no experience in the field. Who are you going to hire? The guy who has been doing x job for 20 years and willing to do it cheap, or the entitled little brat Occupier who has a fresh degree and no experience?
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

All that could change though once economy picks back up . May take a while

Every industry has been affected . Except for a handful of exceptions

Comment

heh, I don't know how many feel they are going to get straight out and be a director or above. Piss poor expectations are part of it as well. Yeah, great you went to 4 years of college and I bet it was hard. Now get ready to start your career, near the bottom. The degree WILL eventually help and/or pay off, but maybe 10-20 years down the line.

Also, I don't think younger kids are as motivated. I know of a person that recently graduated, and has put in a bunch of applications. However, as far as I know - no follow-ups and is slow on the draw for when she's recommended by someone who knows someone.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                        CJ is right. You have a lot of degree holders out there with no experience in the field. Who are you going to hire? The guy who has been doing x job for 20 years and willing to do it cheap, or the entitled little brat Occupier who has a fresh degree and no experience?
                        Not always true, at my company we have a bunch of older engineers that will be retiring in the next 5 years. The hiring in the engineering deptartment I work in is aimed at engineers fresh out of college. This is so that the engineer comes in fresh, ready to learn, and open enough to be molded as the company wants.

Every field has different wants/needs.
                        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                          Not always true, at my company we have a bunch of older engineers that will be retiring in the next 5 years. The hiring in the engineering deptartment I work in is aimed at engineers fresh out of college. This is so that the engineer comes in fresh, ready to learn, and open enough to be molded as the company wants.

Every field has different wants/needs.
                          My experience of course is focused on the finance industry, where experience is very important. One 120 second bad decision can cost the company $30-50 grand. Every industry is going to be different.

Comment

I agree. In the engineering field it is best to work internships while earning degree. It makes getting the degree harder and longer but having a job when you graduate is nice. The degree also pays for itself within a year in most cases. Unless of course you an idiot and go to some private college and spend over 100k on a piece of paper.
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Girl I know recently graduated and has like 275k in student loans. She was not out fucking off money either. She ate PB&J a lot and never really went out. Don't get me wrong she got hired the other day and is pulling in around 80k-90k but holy shit. Luckily they are smart, living on his salary, and going to go after the loans right away.

Depending on the degree plan I agree with CJ to a point. We put my wife thru around five or so years of college and paid cash for it. She was in the military though and that made a huge difference but it was still not cheap. You still had to take her salary she made when we met out of the picture. The whole books thing was pretty bad but workable. I like how we would have to buy her a 130.00 book and then she never even had to crack it open(scam). Her degree plan in athletic training was a beast and there was no damn way she could have worked and supported herself on her own. The only people I see doing this with no debt are kids with wealthy parents, a spouse with a decent job, or heavy student loans.

She finished her criminal justice degree at a community college to get her feet back in and then moved on to UTA for the AT program. Not only did she have regular school but she also had around 200 hours a semester or so in clinical hours. I think the total was 1500 to graduate. That alone was like a full time job on top of the school.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                                That's the same thing with ANY college. Yale has a Divinity program, would you put it in the same league as one of their science, music, or literature programs?

Side note: After searching Yale's divinity school website, I can find no accreditation information on that particular school.

Don't you think it's a bit odd that the education segment those types of schools fit into have their own accrediting boards, apart from standard university accrediting bodies?
                                Yea I would expect more out of an ivy league accredited school over any internet school even if it was a bs field that they weren't accredited for.

No certain accreditation needs to be separate from each other students of a 2 year automotive degree is different than a 4 year automotive engineering degree. One is going to discuss assembly and they other is going discuss the designing.

Comment

Working...
                                X