• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star

New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
    Posted : Wednesday Feb 13, 2013 16:37:27 EST

The Pentagon is creating a new high-level military medal that will recognize drone pilots and, in a controversial twist, giving it added clout by placing it above some traditional combat valor medals in the military’s “order of precedence.”

The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to pilots of unmanned aircraft, offensive cyber war experts or others who are directly involved in combat operations but who are not physically in theater and facing the physical risks that warfare historically entails.
    Related reading

Pentagon creates medal for cyber, drone wars (2/13)

The new medal will rank just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It will have precedence over — and be worn on a uniform above — the Bronze Star with Valor device, a medal awarded to troops for specific heroic acts performed under fire in combat.

The new medal is a brass pendant, nearly two inches tall, with a laurel wreath that circles a globe. An eagle is in the center. The ribbon has blue, red and white stripes.

“This award recognizes the reality of the kind of technological warfare we are engaged in the 21st century,” Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told reporters in Washington on Wednesday.

The new medal will be awarded for specific acts, such as the successful targeting of a particular individual at a critical time.

“Our military reserves its highest decorations obviously for those who display gallantry and valor in actions when their lives are on the line and we will continue to do so,” Panetta said.

“But we should also have the ability to honor the extraordinary actions that make a true difference in combat operations,” Panetta said. “The contribution they make does contribute to the success of combat operations, particularly when they remove the enemy from the field of battle, even if those actions are physically removed from the fight.”

The service secretaries will make the final determination for awarding the Distinguished Warfare Medal.

The order of precedence came as a surprise to Doug Sterner, a military medals expert and the curator of the Military Times Hall of Valor, the largest database of military medal recipients.

“It’s got me puzzled,” Sterner said in an interview Wednesday. “I understand the need to recognize the guys at the console who are doing some pretty important things. But to see it ranking above the Bronze Star [with] V?”

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I am not quite sure how it is considered higher than someone who is on the ground actually fighting. As a recipient of the bronze star, this one hit a nerve. But Panetta has pulled a lot of BS stunts lately.

Comment

It sickens me. Absolutely sickens me. You can get a medal higher than the bronze star if you're playing a video game and go home at the end of the day while the war fighter is kicking in doors and getting shot up

Comment

I understand it requires a certain amount of technological training/schooling and you're still ending people's lives which can effect you and so on; but, I completely agree. That's pretty absurd that it is an out ranking award.
        2014 GT
        2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

A drone pilot picked his way to support the mission, just like someone that selected 11B.

Ranking the medals a "higher" than one another is just crap. Just use them to recognize exceptional service and a talking point to bring up a story for a proud service person.

If I saw a CMH and PH ribbon on a guy, I'd be inclined to stop him, slap his hand, tell him I appreciate and respect his service and ask him what the story was behind them. What's so wrong with that? I see that as what it is for (more or less).

Don't go pout about someone else getting a "higher" ribbon. Please!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            It sickens me. Absolutely sickens me. You can get a medal higher than the bronze star if you're playing a video game and go home at the end of the day while the war fighter is kicking in doors and getting shot up
            Man, you get pussy hurt if the wind blows. Who the fuck cares?

Comment

It's because to get a bronze star you have to put yourself at extreme risk and it requires incredible bravery. You have no risk or bravery in a drone pilot. That's why. Want to give them an Xbox achievement fine, don't put it above the Bronze Star

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                Yeah, you wouldn't understand anything about what is required and portrayed in the holders of these medals. The risk and sacrifice to get them.

Comment

It's because to get a bronze star you have to put yourself at extreme risk and it requires incredible bravery. You have no risk or bravery in a drone pilot. That's why. Want to give them an Xbox achievement fine, don't put it above the Bronze Star
                  You might have been out too long. A buddy of mine went to Iraq and came back with a Bronze Star. He told me they hand them out if you hold some level of command and you get your troops there and back without incident. He was with a maintenance company and never left the base, never saw anything fucked up. Did he deserve that over a drone pilot that hit a high-category target and avoided having the Army send troops out to terminate the threat instead?

Look futher than you job, Frost.

Comment

Yeah, you wouldn't understand anything about what is required and portrayed in the holders of these medals. The risk and sacrifice to get them.
                    Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Fuck you. I don't need to have served to have an opinion. You are a fuckin looney toon.

Comment

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Fuck you. I don't need to have served to have an opinion. You are a fuckin looney toon.
                      To have an informed one, you do. And I'm an Animaniac

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                        You might have been out too long. A buddy of mine went to Iraq and came back with a Bronze Star. He told me they hand them out if you hold some level of command and you get your troops there and back without incident. He was with a maintenance company and never left the base, never saw anything fucked up. Did he deserve that over a drone pilot that hit a high-category target and avoided having the Army send troops out to terminate the threat instead?

Look futher than you job, Frost.
                        I see what you're saying Denny and I agree that sometimes they're handed out improperly and officers shouldn't get them. For that, you tighten the requirements. Still, someone in country is at a higher risk than someone in Vegas playing a console. Mortars can hit anywhere.

Comment

I'm neither for not against Frost's opinions on the medals, but this is a common tactic with current/former members of the military when they want to elevate their opinion above a civilian's. That shit doesn't fly.

To have an informed one, you do. And I'm an Animaniac
                          Wrong.

Comment

I fucking care. I am 100% in agreement with Frost this time. Men have done heroic things resulting in their deaths and earning only a bronze star. To give drone pilots a award that outranks the Bronze Star with a V device. If anything it should have been put in line with a Bronze Star or maybe a CIB/CAB.

The military continuing to cheapen the Bronze star and giving it out as party favors for higher ranking enlisted and officers is disgusting. Further cheapening the acts of heroism that earned both the Soldier's Medal and the Bronze star needs to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                              You might have been out too long. A buddy of mine went to Iraq and came back with a Bronze Star. He told me they hand them out if you hold some level of command and you get your troops there and back without incident. He was with a maintenance company and never left the base, never saw anything fucked up.
                              This happens all too much IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X