New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    I see what you're saying Denny and I agree that sometimes they're handed out improperly and officers shouldn't get them. For that, you tighten the requirements. Still, someone in country is at a higher risk than someone in Vegas playing a console. Mortars can hit anywhere.
    MANY situations are averted because of the operations being conducted out of Nellis, thus many troops are avoiding as much conflict. Medals are more than just the spilling of your own blood and sweat, they are also for the retention of your brothers'.

Saving lives and terminating threats with minimal risk is an awesome thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      MANY situations are averted because of the operations being conducted out of Nellis, thus many troops are avoiding as much conflict. Medals are more than just the spilling of your own blood and sweat, they are also for the retention of your brothers'.

Saving lives and terminating threats with minimal risk is an awesome thing.
      You should read the requirements for those medals.

Comment

Yes the Bronze Star has been watered down, pretty much if you are a certain rank you will get one, but the majority of them are earned by line soldiers putting their ass on the line every day, getting shot at, blown up and doing horrible things to other human beings. Now comes along an award that is more prestigious and is GIVEN to people who have no skin in the game. I am not trying to take away from their important roll but their mission does not involve any sort of bravery. Honestly I appreciate them, they talked us onto a guy who had blown us up more than once. They watched him flee from his ied strike on us and talked us right to his front door. But their was zero risk to their personal safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
          You should read the requirements for those medals.
          It said, "The new medal will be awarded for specific acts, such as the successful targeting of a particular individual at a critical time."

Sounds like what I was talking about.

Comment

I think all of you are missing the point entirely.

Tin foil hat on.

They needed an incentive / reward for following orders to take down citizens on US soil via drone.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasSleeper View Post
              Yes the Bronze Star has been watered down, pretty much if you are a certain rank you will get one, but the majority of them are earned by line soldiers putting their ass on the line every day, getting shot at, blown up and doing horrible things to other human beings. Now comes along an award that is more prestigious and is GIVEN to people who have no skin in the game. I am not trying to take away from their important roll but their mission does not involve any sort of bravery. Honestly I appreciate them, they talked us onto a guy who had blown us up more than once. They watched him flee from his ied strike on us and talked us right to his front door. But their was zero risk to their personal safety.
              BUT couldn't have been pulled off without them.

Comment

I fucking care.
                I wasn't addressing the controversy of the medal - My comment was directed at Frost and him thinking anyone cares about how sickened he is about ______. Its tired and worn out.

Comment

It said, "The new medal will be awarded for specific acts, such as the successful targeting of a particular individual at a critical time."

Sounds like what I was talking about.
                  Does that action sound more deserving of award than someone running through a compound warning of an impending IED attack and dying in the process? Or pulling a wounded comrade to safety putting there own life at risk?

Comment

Does that action sound more deserving of award than someone running through a compound warning of an impending IED attack and dying in the process? Or pulling a wounded comrade to safety putting there own life at risk?
                    They both sound rewarding. The "ranking" of the medals is what I'm bitching about. Fuck ranking the importance of these medals, just display the fuckers. Eliminate the order of display. I'm just not going to say one is more deserving or holds more value than another. Let each person come to that conclusion.

Comment

Here's an example of what you have to do to get the Bronze Star with the V

For heroism, not involving particiaption in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against a hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. Staff Sergeant Cox distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous action on 4 November 1969, while serving as a platoon sergeant at Fire Support Base Buttons, Republic of Vietnam. Staff Sergeant Cox continually exposed himself to enemy fire during the attack and saved many possible friendly casualties by warning his comrades of an enemy soldier who had penetrated the perimeter. Staff Sergeant Cox continued effective fire at the enemy even after being wounded by grenades, then assisted in getting other wounded comrades immediate medical attention without showing any regard for his own personal injuries. His display of personal bravery and devotion to duty is in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Playing on a drone console doesn't even get close. There is no personal danger or risk other than carpal tunnel
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        I'm neither for not against Frost's opinions on the medals, but this is a common tactic with current/former members of the military when they want to elevate their opinion above a civilian's. That shit doesn't fly.

Wrong.
                        Right. Absolutely has nothing to do with knowing what a soldier has to do to actually earn them and see heroic actions by soldiers who were told they didn't merit it.
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Fine. You're the biggest glory-hound baby I've ever seen. We should make a day that allows all of us to cower to your feet, praising you for your actions all while pissing on drone pilots for their pussy existence.

Feel better?

Comment

My grand dad got a bronze star for watching a bunch of nazi prisoners. Probably did it while drinking a fuck ton of wine, hanging out with hookers, smoking to many cigarettes and wearing itchy green clothes.

I agree with Denny. But I never served so it probably means nothing.

Comment

They both sound rewarding. The "ranking" of the medals is what I'm bitching about. Fuck ranking the importance of these medals, just display the fuckers. Eliminate the order of display. I'm just not going to say one is more deserving or holds more value than another. Let each person come to that conclusion.
                              You have obviously never been in the military; the ranking of medals is important for two reasons. First, medals such as the Bronze Star are more important than say the Korean Defense Medal; in Korea there was the possibility of something life threatening happening, but it was a long shot. A Bronze Star typically (or at least should) require you to be in harm's way, and therefore is more important. Medals are also more important than Ribbons, thus their order on your rack. Second, ranking of them provides uniformity when wearing the uniform, which adds to the professional appearance you should keep while in uniform.
                              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                                You have obviously never been in the military; the ranking of medals is important for two reasons. First, medals such as the Bronze Star are more important than say the Korean Defense Medal; in Korea there was the possibility of something life threatening happening, but it was a long shot. A Bronze Star typically (or at least should) require you to be in harm's way, and therefore is more important. Medals are also more important than Ribbons, thus their order on your rack. Second, ranking of them provides uniformity when wearing the uniform, which adds to the professional appearance you should keep while in uniform.
                                Pretty sure Denny has served.

Comment

Working...
                                X