School gets busted for Burqas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    If you think christianity isn't doing those horrible things this very day, you're fucking crazy. All one needs to do is look at Africa.
    I realize that in the end you don't give a shit, and that in another thread you'd have the same attitude toward any other religion, but I feel the need to make one point.

You should make a distinction in your arguments. Christianity isn't doing shit. People are.

People carry out actions. People [mis]interpret. People twist and manipulate. People judge and condemn. PEOPLE do awful shit.

Christianity, which is a belief system, has no power beyond the person.

Case in point, from your links above (one quote per article):

Link 1
    Some people may feel protective of Christianity, but Christianity is at fault here. The pastors of independent African churches may identify children as witches (for a fee) and are prepared to "cure" them (for a further fee) by exorcising the evil spirits. Such exorcisms are often violent; beating and the use of cold water to cleanse and purify the possessed being is common in many Congolese churches and elsewhere in Africa, too.
    Link 2
    "Where little shots become big shots in a short time," promises the Winner's Chapel down the road.

"Pray your way to riches," advises Embassy of Christ a few blocks away.
    That's what Margaret Eyekang did when her 8-year-old daughter Abigail was accused by a "prophet" from the Apostolic Church, because the girl liked to sleep outside on hot nights – interpreted as meaning she might be flying off to join a coven. A series of exorcisms cost Eyekang eight months' wages, or US$270. The payments bankrupted her.
    Link 3
    "Religious leaders capitalize on the ignorance of some parents in the villages just to make some money off them," said Lucky Inyang, project coordinator for 'Stepping Stones Nigeria'.

And most pastors charge a fee for deliverance -- anywhere from $300 to $2,000.

There's an obvious theme here and it's not that Christianity is ruining villages; it's that people's fucking greed and willingness to fuck over their neighbor is ruining villages. Belief in Jesus is not ruining lives; the douchebags in charge willing to twist and manipulate the message into "pay me to fix them" is ruining children's lives.

Really... you read those articles, especially the excerpted parts, and see a men driven by "christian" values and condemn Christianity? You don't see the disconnect between what those people are doing and the actual values taught by Christianity?

What, exactly, were you taught in these "comparative religion" courses?

I truly hope that you don't honestly believe that the majority of Christians in the world fit this "African missionary, rapist, murderer, burn-em-all-at-the-stake" vision of continuing Crusades.

Comment

• So, back to C-SCOPE. My district uses it. I mostly hate the pacing of the lessons. How the fuck am I supposed to teach Colonization & Geography in 2 weeks? That's some bullshit right there. But, I digress...

Who in here has access to C-SCOPE? If you are able to look at it you will see that everything that's in it is based on the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills). There's where the damn problem is. When people are placed on a committee to decide what the kids of a state learn, they really shouldn't be politically or religiously motivated. However they are. They are appointed by politicians & actually lobby to be on the committee. The lessons are ok for the most part, but some are squirrelly. That's the down fall of a purchased, pre written curriculum. Our curriculum was much stronger when it was written by teachers who actually teach the subject. Apparently, it's cheaper to pay for C-SCOPE than to pay us to rewrite the curriculum since the morons in Austin changed the TEKS in the last few years.

You are welcome to resume your arguing about religion now.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        I realize that in the end you don't give a shit, and that in another thread you'd have the same attitude toward any other religion, but I feel the need to make one point.

You should make a distinction in your arguments. Christianity isn't doing shit. People are.

People carry out actions. People [mis]interpret. People twist and manipulate. People judge and condemn. PEOPLE do awful shit.

Christianity, which is a belief system, has no power beyond the person.

Case in point, from your links above (one quote per article):

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

There's an obvious theme here and it's not that Christianity is ruining villages; it's that people's fucking greed and willingness to fuck over their neighbor is ruining villages. Belief in Jesus is not ruining lives; the douchebags in charge willing to twist and manipulate the message into "pay me to fix them" is ruining children's lives.

Really... you read those articles, especially the excerpted parts, and see a men driven by "christian" values and condemn Christianity? You don't see the disconnect between what those people are doing and the actual values taught by Christianity?

What, exactly, were you taught in these "comparative religion" courses?

I truly hope that you don't honestly believe that the majority of Christians in the world fit this "African missionary, rapist, murderer, burn-em-all-at-the-stake" vision of continuing Crusades.
        Only a fool would think that all christians are like the African ones depicted in the articles, I also never said they were. To more address your point that it's the people and not the religion, when the it's done in the name of the religion, and supported by that same religion, I hold the religion just as responsible as those carrying out the actions. Those in Africa are following the teachings of their holy book more stringently than those that don't act like that. People are good in spite of their religion, not because of it.

Originally posted by David G McAfee
        Religious people often claim it's the 'fundamentalists' of each religion that cause problems... There's got to be something wrong with the religion itself if those who strictly adhere to its most fundamental principals are violent bigots and sexists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
          So, back to C-SCOPE. My district uses it. I mostly hate the pacing of the lessons. How the fuck am I supposed to teach Colonization & Geography in 2 weeks? That's some bullshit right there. But, I digress...

Who in here has access to C-SCOPE? If you are able to look at it you will see that everything that's in it is based on the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills). There's where the damn problem is. When people are placed on a committee to decide what the kids of a state learn, they really shouldn't be politically or religiously motivated. However they are. They are appointed by politicians & actually lobby to be on the committee. The lessons are ok for the most part, but some are squirrelly. That's the down fall of a purchased, pre written curriculum. Our curriculum was much stronger when it was written by teachers who actually teach the subject. Apparently, it's cheaper to pay for C-SCOPE than to pay us to rewrite the curriculum since the morons in Austin changed the TEKS in the last few years.

Thank you for the input. There shouldn't be centralized studies at all. A teacher who actually knows the subject is a master of their craft.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            Thank you for the input. There shouldn't be centralized studies at all. A teacher who actually knows the subject is a master of their craft.
            I think she was putting the problem more on the state board of education, rather than the teachers. Especially considering that the SBoE is not comprised of teachers.
            Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

• I believe in god and I believe all religion should not be allowed in school. Isn't that what Sunday school and church is for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
                I think she was putting the problem more on the state board of education, rather than the teachers. Especially considering that the SBoE is not comprised of teachers.
                Oh, I didn't intend it to sound like I was jumping here. Merely agreeing that one size does not fit all classes. It cannot fit all classes and the only ones who should be deciding that lesson plan is the teacher as long as they hit certain subjects.
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• You guys are both right.

I think the SBoE sucks because they decide what legally has to be taught. These idiots aren't in education & generally have no background in education. they don't know anything about educational theories or about teaching kids in poverty. They think its one size fits all Highland Park in TX. It's laughable.

I also think that teachers should write the curriculum for their districts instead of buying it pre packaged. I used to write curriculum & assessments in my district and we wrote them so that even a first year teacher could teach the lessons. C-SCOPE is confusing as hell even for veteran teachers. Mostly my cohort & I ignore C-SCOPE & teach our own lessons. My principal doesn't care since we kick ass at what we do.

Either way, pre packaged or teacher written the TEKS legally have to be followed, so it really does point directly back to the SBoE.
                  sigpic

Comment

• People you may laugh right now, but Islamification is taking over the world like a plague.

You better act fast and kick them out or make them bite the curb.
                    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      Actually, you're not arguing if what they believe exists but rather that their religion doesn't. Study of Alchemy? Real. Actually getting results outside of a nuclear reactor? Not so much. Astrology? Same.

All of them exist. You can argue as to the basis of the religion but not that the religion exists
                      No, dude. Alchemy isn't real, and getting elements to change in a particle accelerator, or nuclear reactor isn't alchemy. Astrology is also complete horseshit. The idea that the astrological sign I was born under is what determines my fate is idiotic, and I'm not going to wait for the perfect timing of the stars to make major decisions, either.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        To an extent I do. The biggest difference being that America has changed its laws and Constitution when it realized what it was doing was wrong. Christians just decided to ignore what they've done or point the finger at the bigger badder kid in the room in attempts to shift the attention of scrutiny onto the other groups. Or they just pulled a Catholic church and actively impede investigations into its wrongdoings by investigators.
                        Lol, if you say so. More than 50% of America didn't "realize what it was doing was wrong", it was forced to abide by rules from the end of a gun, but tell yourself what ever you need to justify your current opinion.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

So, back to C-SCOPE. My district uses it. I mostly hate the pacing of the lessons. How the fuck am I supposed to teach Colonization & Geography in 2 weeks? That's some bullshit right there. But, I digress...

Well thank God someone put this train wreck back on the rails.

Kimmy I have some people working on getting me a password so I can view the curriculum. I have a few bootleg copies. I can tell you from my limited access to it the biggest problem is that what the students are given rarely matches up to what the teacher has. It is even worse when you get into an AP class.

For teacher like yourself that have years of experience and knowledge from writing curriculum CSCOPE has a limited effect. Now take a teacher that is fresh out of college and you have a big problem. They tend to use it lock stock and barrel, this is when you start seeing the system fall apart and the kids are getting the raw end of the deal.

Comment

You guys are both right.

I think the SBoE sucks because they decide what legally has to be taught. These idiots aren't in education & generally have no background in education. they don't know anything about educational theories or about teaching kids in poverty. They think its one size fits all Highland Park in TX. It's laughable.

I also think that teachers should write the curriculum for their districts instead of buying it pre packaged. I used to write curriculum & assessments in my district and we wrote them so that even a first year teacher could teach the lessons. C-SCOPE is confusing as hell even for veteran teachers. Mostly my cohort & I ignore C-SCOPE & teach our own lessons. My principal doesn't care since we kick ass at what we do.

Either way, pre packaged or teacher written the TEKS legally have to be followed, so it really does point directly back to the SBoE.
                            As of now the SBOE has no oversight of CSCOPE this is jus one of the problems. The only oversight it has is from the TESCCC (Texas Education Service Centers Curriculum Collaborative) guess what these are the same people that write for CSCOPE. You can see the issue here.

Comment

• A few CSCOPE lies

1) Texas retired Science Author Janice VanCleave who originally exposed Cscope for what it is has no intention of copying and competing against Cscope contrary to accusations by the owners of Cscope the Texas Education Service Center Curriculum Collaborative (TESCCC), and other state employees who have bought into the lie. Ms. VanCleave who attempted to tutor some children in her local school district discovered the children had no text books was denied Cscope lessons to help tutor. Finding this lack of transparency unacceptable she began researching who and what was behind Cscope. We filed a Public Information Request (PIR) asking for financials and lessons to be disclosed. TESCCC then filed in protest with the Attorney General that Ms. VanCleave had an interest in competing against them. BIG LIE!!!

2) Cscope lessons are not pro communist. The discovery of numerous Csocpe lessons that are pro communist is irrefutable Here are a few examples highlighting our findings. Communist Manifesto read by Texas Students, Students Climb Stair to Communism, Cscope views Communism a Success , New Communist Flag Drawn in Texas, Cscope’s ProCommunism

3) Cscope is not Pro Islamic as claims TESCCC. Islam Propaganda, Road to Mecca, Islam, Women and Sex, Texas Students in Burqas, Islam in Texas Schools, Cscope says Allah is God,

4) Cscope has always had a policy of being transparent. NOT AT ALL. They have even stooped so low as to have teachers sign a non disclosure statement that they would not release lessons or say anything negative about Cscope. The fact they Cscope has not allowed parents to view lessons is what led to the discovery of Cscope.

5) Teachers love it and need it…. it provides specificity and rigor. (I am so sick of this progressive word, rigor.) GOOD TEACHERS HATE CSCOPE. The following is from a teacher about her experience with Cscope.

Comment

• My daughter is over the chemistry/science department of a high school, and she says it's all the other teachers talk about. It doesn't affect her subjects so much, but she hears about it constantly.

Comment

Working...
                                X