Sweetheart deal to Boeing workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    yeah, aren't these the same people that put together the Dreamliner that keeps catching fire?
    The staff assembling the plane have nothing to do with that. The Dreamliner had to make weight, and the batteries the engineers chose carry the risk of catching fire, vs traditional batteries.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
      Yea, I can understand the logic a bit. These are assembly line workers that are easily replaced. These are skilled to highly skilled workers. These are the guys that put together that 777 that saved almost everyone in San Fran after the pilot screwed up.

But then, that 787 isn't exactly the greatest thing in the sky these days.. so I'm torn too..
      The 787 is a great plane. Every new jet has issues. The 787 will probably become one of the greats. The news just likes to bash. It has very minor issues. Look at the a380 it's problems are structural and you hardly ever hear anything about it...

Comment

What is stemming the layoffs? They have a shit ton of orders on the books and are making money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          What is stemming the layoffs? They have a shit ton of orders on the books and are making money.
          Defense contracts are playing out.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

And who Says Money cannot buy votes.

Comment

The majority of the problems with the 787 are from Boeing sending the work out all over the world and not keeping it in house. They contracted foreign companies to build parts and those companies sub-contracted that work out to a third party. By the time those part reached either the assembly plant in Everett Washington or North Charleston South Carolina they didn’t fit together very well. 787’s are also built from over 80% of composites which hasn’t been done before on a plane of its type. It is pretty impressive to see the long structures that make up the wing section made from carbon fiber. The company has done some layoffs in the last six months; a lot of those jobs have been to engineers or IT workers. They also laid off workers from the 747 which didn’t sell any planes in the last year. There were some people let go from the 787 program when the plane was grounded earlier this year.
              Right now the company is getting ready to start downsizing the management side of the company. Second and third level managers will get bumped back into first level spots and first level will either go back to working on the plane or have to find other work.
              If you saw some the people who assemble the planes you may think twice about ever flying again.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
                The majority of the problems with the 787 are from Boeing sending the work out all over the world and not keeping it in house. They contracted foreign companies to build parts and those companies sub-contracted that work out to a third party. By the time those part reached either the assembly plant in Everett Washington or North Charleston South Carolina they didn’t fit together very well. 787’s are also built from over 80% of composites which hasn’t been done before on a plane of its type. It is pretty impressive to see the long structures that make up the wing section made from carbon fiber. The company has done some layoffs in the last six months; a lot of those jobs have been to engineers or IT workers. They also laid off workers from the 747 which didn’t sell any planes in the last year. There were some people let go from the 787 program when the plane was grounded earlier this year.
                Right now the company is getting ready to start downsizing the management side of the company. Second and third level managers will get bumped back into first level spots and first level will either go back to working on the plane or have to find other work.
                If you saw some the people who assemble the planes you may think twice about ever flying again.
                Do you work for Boeing?

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                  That is a problem caused by picking the wrong type of battery. Lithium ion batteries are a very poor choice for this application. A much better choice would have been any of the safe chemistry cells that are on the market.
                  Yeah? And what battery would have been a good choice? Li-ion is nearly always a top performer...the only dangers are the relative newness of the technology. It's not like they were using primary lithiums.

Please tell me about you experience specing batteries...lol.

Comment

Point? If you saw some of the people that make your food, work to make your water safe to drink or otherwise exist outside your front door you would never go outside again.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                      Point? If you saw some of the people that make your food, work to make your water safe to drink or otherwise exist outside your front door you would never go outside again.
                      Which is why I don't
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                        Do you work for Boeing?
                        Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                          Don't get me wrong there are some very talented people who work on the assembly lines, then you see some who you wonder if they can even tie their own shoe: wtf: . Working in one of the training centers you get to see all types, and with the union, once you have gone through orientation it can be next to impossible to fire someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Yeah? And what battery would have been a good choice? Li-ion is nearly always a top performer...the only dangers are the relative newness of the technology. It's not like they were using primary lithiums.

Please tell me about you experience specing batteries...lol.
                            Half of my degree is Materials Engineering and while I have never had to spec battery types in a professional capacity I do enjoy building my own flashlights and because of the current demands that they place on the batteries I have been forced to use alternative chemistry batteries to avoid personal injury.

On a plane I would probably spec LiFePO4 or LiMN batteries VS a traditional lithium ion battery.
                            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling & grammar
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Yes
                              Oh cool. I tried getting on with Charleston, SC until I found out how much they paid.... F that! I would like the Everett area but it's seems like it constant kayoffs, too scary for me. I'll stick to the service centers for now...

Comment

Working...
                              X