18-21 year olds to purchase handguns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    No, I have a problem with permits as the constitution says I don't need permits to exercise my rights. As I stated, with the constitution incorporated, who has the authority to mandate classes before gun purchases?
    The same organization that is putting laws in place restricting gun ownership in certain cities. Don't think of it as yet another permit. Think of it as more lowering the risk of being killed by an inexperienced gun owner.
    I'm confused. First you say you have no problem for training for a CCW permit, and now you do have a problem? Make up your mind.

Comment

I've spent many hours on the range as a shooter, student, as well as training others as a NRA pistol instructor. If one thing is clear: firearm safety discipline is completely unrelated to age. My 8 years old have better trigger finger discipline than half of the shooters on a public range at any given day.

Go to shooting schools such as Thunder Ranch and ask them to show you bullet holes left from ND (there were clearly nothing "Accidental" about it) where experienced shooters let one fly just trying to load and make ready for a run.

It is my personal opinion that organization such as NRA can do much more by making training more accessible to the average shooter. $160 for an 8 hours basic pistol safety course just doesn't work. While the course material is ok for someone who have NEVER picked up a gun in their life. Everyone else will just falls asleep after 10 minutes because the material from the 8 hours course can be covered easily in an hour to someone who any shooting experience at all. IMO, there are just not a lot of first time newbie willing to fork over $160 for training... OTOH, $50 for a 3/4 hours course tailored for a smaller group of shooters with similar background/experience will likely get more people to attend and provide much better training.

The key is to raise shooter's skill and to make them understand the RESPONSIBILITY of firearm ownership. These two topics can be taught through a combination of local volunteer trainers, ranges, and NRA without any Government intervention.

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
        The same organization that is putting laws in place restricting gun ownership in certain cities. Don't think of it as yet another permit. Think of it as more lowering the risk of being killed by an inexperienced gun owner.
        I'm confused. First you say you have no problem for training for a CCW permit, and now you do have a problem? Make up your mind.
        If you want a CHL and the state constitution (using the 10th amendment) says the legislature may make up the rules for gun ownership? Fine. But the Bill of Rights has been incorporated which means that the "shall not be infringed" means no govermental body may infringe on the right to keep and bear arms.

So, which do you want to go with? 10th amendment or incorporation? Don't think of it as another permit? Just think of it as statism vs nihilism.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
        X