Hobby Lobby contraception case going to Supreme Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    What's to stop closely held corporations from saying they don't like vaccines, or blood transfusions, etc due to their firmly held religious beliefs?
    What defines a closely held corporation, and what's to stop them from redefining it to mean 10,000 or 100k shareholders being closely held?
    Corporations have always been legally regarded as people?
    Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    Far too many people are missing the forest through the trees, and ... they're arguing the minutia of the situation.
    Yeah, and you are one of those people.

The Supreme Court did not decide "against women" or "for Christians" or "for corporations." They decided that American business owners have the RIGHT to run their business as they see fit. In this case, the owner(s) of these businesses believe that they should not be forced to pay for morning-after abortion pills on religious grounds, and the courts agreed. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..." Yeah, that second part there is exactly as important as the first.

Since none of the news agencies seem to be reporting it, I'll tell you here - Hobby Lobby has chosen to cover the costs of 16 forms of contraception for their employees, but refuses to cover the four morning-after options. That seems VERY reasonable to me, but like I said, you'll never hear THAT from MSNBC. Sorry, I don't see why this is even an issue, except to be divisive. Here's what a Hobby Lobby employee CAN receive as a benefit, completely free of charge, today, right now:

Male condoms
    Female condoms
    Diaphragms with spermicide
    Sponges with spermicide
    Cervical caps with spermicide
    Spermicide alone
    Birth-control pills with estrogen and progestin (“Combined Pill")
    Birth-control pills with progestin alone (“The Mini Pill")
    Birth control pills (extended/continuous use)
    Contraceptive patches
    Contraceptive rings
    Progestin injections
    Implantable rods
    Vasectomies
    Female sterilization surgeries
    Female sterilization implants

The great thing about America is that while Hobby Lobby now has the RIGHT to stand firm on a religious issue, you also have the RIGHT to boycott that business or refuse to work there and no one is going to get huffy about it.

The only thing that has me really excited about this decision is how "I think" it could completely overturn the ACA. Hallelujah.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee View Post
      How are they protected from the law? Plausible deniability? I haven't looked into corporations much but thought the board members could be held responsible just as a individual business owner could.
      They can be. I'm talking about the corporate entity itself. It doesn't really matter what my opinion is, though. It matters what the law is.
      Last edited by YALE; 07-01-2014, 07:50 AM.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
        Yeah, and you are one of those people.

The Supreme Court did not decide "against women" or "for Christians" or "for corporations." They decided that American business owners have the RIGHT to run their business as they see fit. In this case, the owner(s) of these businesses believe that they should not be forced to pay for morning-after abortion pills on religious grounds, and the courts agreed. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..." Yeah, that second part there is exactly as important as the first.

Since none of the news agencies seem to be reporting it, I'll tell you here - Hobby Lobby has chosen to cover the costs of 16 forms of contraception for their employees, but refuses to cover the four morning-after options. That seems VERY reasonable to me, but like I said, you'll never hear THAT from MSNBC. Sorry, I don't see why this is even an issue, except to be divisive. Here's what a Hobby Lobby employee CAN receive as a benefit, completely free of charge, today, right now:

Male condoms
        Female condoms
        Diaphragms with spermicide
        Sponges with spermicide
        Cervical caps with spermicide
        Spermicide alone
        Birth-control pills with estrogen and progestin (“Combined Pill")
        Birth-control pills with progestin alone (“The Mini Pill")
        Birth control pills (extended/continuous use)
        Contraceptive patches
        Contraceptive rings
        Progestin injections
        Implantable rods
        Vasectomies
        Female sterilization surgeries
        Female sterilization implants

The great thing about America is that while Hobby Lobby now has the RIGHT to stand firm on a religious issue, you also have the RIGHT to boycott that business or refuse to work there and no one is going to get huffy about it.

The only thing that has me really excited about this decision is how "I think" it could completely overturn the ACA. Hallelujah.
        Very nice, sir.

The problem is you are asking racergay to look past his militant hatred of anything religious, and he is incapable.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          I didn't ask you that. I asked you if you thought a corporation should be a person or not. Far too many people are missing the forest through the trees, and instead of arguing that corporations should/should not be people, they're arguing the minutia of the situation.

Except they've got more.

What's to stop closely held corporations from saying they don't like vaccines, or blood transfusions, etc due to their firmly held religious beliefs? What defines a closely held corporation, and what's to stop them from redefining it to mean 10,000 or 100k shareholders being closely held?

Corporations have always been legally regarded as people?
          Nothing has changed. Not sure how many times I have to say that. They have retained the rights they have always had.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Nothing has changed. Not sure how many times I have to say that. They have retained the rights they have always had.
            Well I guess we just disagree on this then.

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
              Because they aren't a person, they aren't subject to law the same way. Basically, aside from fining a corporation, all you can do is pull its charter. It still doesn't change my opinion that insurance isn't a basic human right. Providing your poor with basic health care is a good idea, but that isn't always a reasonable idea. Also, giving them insurance and calling it health care is moronic. They aren't the same.

How can you have a human right that someone else would have to pay for and provide? That is called slavery.
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                It doesn't affect:

• Most birth control pills

• Condoms

• Sponges

• Sterilization

It does affect:

• Plan B "morning-after pill"

• Ella "morning-after pill"

• Hormonal and copper intrauterine devices (IUDs)
                If they worte it properly and put some responsibility on the women, the law would cover a breath mint and hand towel.

And cover the hour nap I need after helping a female employee climb the ladder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  How can you have a human right that someone else would have to pay for and provide? That is called slavery.
                  We're in agreement.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    Providing your poor with basic health care is a nice idea, but that isn't always a reasonable idea.
                    Fixed. Please talk moar about how its a "good" idea. That doesnt you know, lead to slavery under a different name.

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    Very good post sir! And ill delete part to get to the point.

I would like you to elaborate on how it could be used to overturn the ACA. Wouldnt that be the sh1t? What killed him? In the end, it was Hobby Freakin' Lobby. ROFL! There would be some kind of poetic justice in that.
                    WH

Comment

• This was inevitable. ACA should have never been "forced" upon anyone. Just another hole in this huge mess that is called ACA. While I agree that this was a good ruling by SCOTUS that an employer has the right to NOT cover certain health situations due to religious beliefs, this opens the ACA to interpretation by anyone with the same agenda.

"We do not want to be forced to cover cancer treatments due to our religious beliefs" God determines when we die.

I see a lot of this mentality being interjected into healthcare policies in the future. EVERY employer will now have the green-light to exclude what they want in the name of God.

Solution...................scrap ACA and start over. This will never happen due to all of the special interests groups that have infused themselves in Washington. Everyone wants their side to win, screw the American people.

Comment

Working...
                      X