No announcement yet.

Automakers want to make working on your own car illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll see some turning to older vehicles, which, will result in automakers seeking to ban anything beyond X number of years old, killing the classic car hobby.

I just have no desire to buy new. I was rolling through the stockyards last night and saw a simple, plain fox GT and got to thinking about how over complicated cars are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      You'll see some turning to older vehicles, which, will result in automakers seeking to ban anything beyond X number of years old, killing the classic car hobby.

I just have no desire to buy new. I was rolling through the stockyards last night and saw a simple, plain fox GT and got to thinking about how over complicated cars are now.
      I am with you. Only new car that I would like to have is a C7 corvette. If they don't want you jacking with the computer systems, they need to leave the core engine programming alone and put some fucking security on the rest of the software.

I'm not a big fan of someone hacking in through the bluetooth and stealing my car, or crashing it remotely. I don't think it's going to happen though, they have been trying to outlaw backyard mechanics for years, hasn't happened yet. Too much money in parts stores, mechanics, and speed shops.

Comment

Never underestimate the government's ability to fuck over the citizens.

Comment

Quote of the day right there.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

New Cars

Within a few years all cars will be leased from the government owned companies. You will be told what you qualify for based on family size and job. There will be no trucks for anyone that does not work from it. If you are single, you get the compliment of a Geo or a smart car, and you WILL get a yearly milage quota. Those on the dole will travel in public transit that will be owned by politically connected people. Trust me......it will happen. Old cars will be outlawed and crushed. A 1957 Chevy with 5,000 miles will be the same as a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville. Just scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
              Within a few years all cars will be leased from the government owned companies. You will be told what you qualify for based on family size and job. There will be no trucks for anyone that does not work from it. If you are single, you get the compliment of a Geo or a smart car, and you WILL get a yearly milage quota. Those on the dole will travel in public transit that will be owned by politically connected people. Trust me......it will happen. Old cars will be outlawed and crushed. A 1957 Chevy with 5,000 miles will be the same as a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville. Just scrap.
              Well that Escaladed quickly.

Comment

Follow the money. You're not going to allow one group to make a bit more profit at the expense of three or four more groups. Even the used car market would be against this as the majority of them deal with small time mechanics. Those businesses go under and all that juicy tax money goes away.

Civil war would follow that quickly, it's too communist to ignore. Our government fucks you over slowly, taking a bit here and there, not giant chunks. Look at what happened the last time they tried gun control.

No, the first thing that will happen is the mileage tax, followed by every road being a toll road, followed by gasoline hitting $8 a gallon. Same end result, but far less bitching from the people.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  Look at what happened the last time they tried gun control.
                  But it can be argued that it is happening little by little still.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    Never going to happen. Look at history thus far. Yeah, they get to fuck us over for awhile. But finally, in the end, people get tired of it and repeal it. Politicians get yanked out of office like in colorado, and laws get changed to reflect what the people want. Just look at TX right now. People are tired of libtardism, and are saying "nah, fuck you, I'm just going to carrry my gun out in plain sight". The laws are going to reflect what people have had enough of. There is no way they'll ever allow several extremely large industries to just vanish, with no hope of replacement, even if it did take 20 years. Not if they can help it.
                    WH

Comment

Alex Jones registered here?!
                      Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      Eye see what you did there.

Comment

An exemption in the DMCA paves the way for car, game and iPhone hackers to do as they please with their connected machines. But the exemption only lasts for three years, and won't come into force until 2016...

There was a big win for the digital rights community today, with a ruling that ensured it was legal for anyone to tinker with their motor, their iPhone or whatever technology they’d purchased. But the freedoms will only last for three years, when the fight between anti-tinkering corporations and activists will resume, absent any major legislative changes.

Prior to today’s decision by the Librarian of Congress, car manufacturers, the most vocal being General Motors, had attempted to block an exemption, the proposed Class 21 in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), that would allow anyone to play with the code that ran on vehicles they’d bought. It would do so by granting a degree of immunity from possible prosecutions using Section 1201 of the DMCA, which prohibited unlocking “access controls” in software.

GM claimed the exemption “could introduce safety and security issues as well as facilitate violation of various laws designed specifically to regulate the modern car, including emissions, fuel economy, and vehicle safety regulations”. Agricultural, construction and forestry equipment manufacturer John Deere DE +1.30% offered a somewhat left-field opinion, claiming the exemption might allow drivers to listen to pirated music and audio books or watch copyrighted films in their tractors or other vehicle.

Supporters of Class 21, however, argued that researchers needed access to vehicles’ code to uncover potential vulnerabilities and that anyone who paid for a product should be able to alter it how they wished. Cars have become increasingly connected in recent years, providing more functionality but opening up potential weaknesses that could be exposed by malicious hackers. Tinkerers also see the added connectivity as an avenue for modification.

Their case was helped by a year that saw numerous issues raised with vehicles’ security, including a remote control attack on a Jeep and hacks of the OBD 2 port used for car monitoring and maintenance. The Volkswagen scandal, where software was used to make it appear the car was adhering to emissions standards when it was not, may also have provided more reasons to allow independent testers to probe automobiles’ code.

Comment

Okay, I'm just going to ask it and see if I'm the only one - is it me or are we slowly being turned into a ...(can't think of word).....but a country without common sense freedoms by lawmakers? Well, at least they are trying to do so?

Everywhere you look something is being regulated or a law built around it.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            Okay, I'm just going to ask it and see if I'm the only one - is it me or are we slowly being turned into a ...(can't think of word).....but a country without common sense freedoms by lawmakers? Well, at least they are trying to do so?

Exactly what is going on.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

Slowly? The EPA didn't even exist before 1970 or the TSA before 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                                Slowly? The EPA didn't even exist before 1970 or the TSA before 2001.
                                Don't get me started on the TSA. The EPA/environmental government companies really piss me off as well.

Just looked TSA has over 56,000 employees....to do what exactly?

Comment

Working...
                                X