Board Votes to Lay Off All Providence, RI Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yale View Post
    I'd prefer that we redefine what our educational needs for this country are, and where we want to progress, and rebuild the system. We're operating industrial style schools in a post-industrial world. The fact that we can't fund the system directly correlates to the fact that we're putting our youth through an arbitrary education process, and turning out people with no marketable skills whatsoever. Too many people are spending the first few years out of highschool trying to figure out what to do with themselves, when most anyone could tell you what they were interested by 14-16. Why not start them on the most appropriate path as early as possible? Why this regimented system that turns out so many unskilled, unmotivated people?
    We actually agree. odd

I've thought that the school system was broke ever since I was in it. Even as a punk kid I could see the stupidity in the way that things were done in regards to actually preparing people for the real world and what they needed to go out and get decent jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      I'd prefer that we redefine what our educational needs for this country are, and where we want to progress, and rebuild the system. We're operating industrial style schools in a post-industrial world. The fact that we can't fund the system directly correlates to the fact that we're putting our youth through an arbitrary education process, and turning out people with no marketable skills whatsoever. Too many people are spending the first few years out of highschool trying to figure out what to do with themselves, when most anyone could tell you what they were interested by 14-16. Why not start them on the most appropriate path as early as possible? Why this regimented system that turns out so many unskilled, unmotivated people?
      There are some non-reading mofos on this site...

they didn't fire anyone... they just sent notices that the teachers COULD be fired... isn't it ironic the union negotiates that teachers must be notified by March 1st and then bitches when the school does it...

I agree, in my opinion, it correlates with the nanny state that we have become. Lazy ass parents want the schools to raise their kids for them. If youre a parent that doesnt want them to raise your kid, you're shit out of luck. They're going to do things the way they want and you will do it their way or they'll ignore you.

I see it at my sons high school. The teachers bitch because the parents aren't involved but when you get involved, they bitch if you dont agree with what they're doing.

Everything is so regulated, they don't even try and think outside the box. If they do, they'll get raked over the coals for showing favoritism or being racist or sexist. Its reached the point of stupidity.

Think of the 5 year old kid that kisses a little girl and gets charged with sexual assault.

The honor student that drives his dad's truck to school and gets busted with a hunting knife...

I just don't see any light on the horizon... everyone talks about making it better but no one really takes action...

Stupid is contagious....

Comment

Working...
      X