Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen remodel - any warnings, watch-outs, etc you can pass on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowLX View Post
    Demo time you say...

Tomorow. You want to help?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      Tomorow. You want to help?
      As much as I love demo'ing shit I need to finally get started on my garage updates.

Comment

Undermount composite granite sink. 9.5" deep single basin... Fuck yeah.
        Fuck yeah, indeed. You won't regret it.

But, due to the increased depth, plan on possibly having to reroute your water in/out plumbing. My cold was fine, but I had to redo my hot and the drain lines to clear the new sink.

If you haven't purchased a kitchen sink faucet yet, the touch on/off are pretty slick. Keeps the finish cleaner, and keeps water off of the handle and counter and in the sink where it belongs. Also, upgrade the garbage disposal to a 1 h/p "quiet" version.

Comment

I actually am planning a remodel on our kitchen very soon and this thread has really helped out.
          Just wanted to say thanks and OP, please keep us updated with pics!

Comment

damn... the painted cabinet kitchen looked great.. didnt see a reason to buy new cabinets.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              damn... the painted cabinet kitchen looked great.. didnt see a reason to buy new cabinets.
              Many reasons:

No pantry now.
              Stovetop is wider so that portion would need to get cut and reworked then other cabinets have to move to keep everything centered... and they were built in place so they might not survive a move.
              New double oven needs a whole new cabinet built anyway.
              Current sink is not centered on the bar opening.

Basically the cost of reworking old cabinets and making them work w the new appliances was approaching the cost of starting from scratch. It's hard to justify that expense when you're stil ending up with decades old cabinets.
              Last edited by Strychnine; 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I like the espresso color. Did you just primer the existing or were those sanded?

edit: nevermind, just saw that you're going to tear them out so I'm sure preparation wasn't a concern before painting.

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                Don't be stupid.

Obviously he won't forget to buy the appliances when the time comes.
                ORY, it was actually in jest since two other posts before me had asked about buying appliances when he had already stated in a previous post before those that they were purchaseD (past tense)

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  I like the espresso color. Did you just primer the existing or were those sanded?

edit: nevermind, just saw that you're going to tear them out so I'm sure preparation wasn't a concern before painting.

No prep. Just roughed them up with some 150 grit. It actually doesn't look bad at all. If we weren't doing all the other work we would have just painted and been happy with it.

Comment

No turning back now.

+

=

The water valve for the dishwasher won't seal closed no matter how hard it's turned so its staying in place and the plumber can deal with that Tuesday.

Comment

The water valve for the dishwasher won't seal closed no matter how hard it's turned so its staying in place and the plumber can deal with that Tuesday.
                      Shark Bite!
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Random note:

I put the oven, sink, and cooktop out on the curb then put a "curb alert" ad on Craigslist. "Come get it. I will not help you load it. I'll take the ad down when it's gone."

Listed it at 7:05pm.

I saw someone loading it up at 7:51pm.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          shark bite!
                          this

Comment

New cabinets are in. Holy shit the pantry space is nice to have.

Prep for paint starts tomorrow. Granite templating is tomorrow.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Don't know how wide that "pass through" is, but it's nice to make those as wide as possible (20"-26"?). You can always add some corbel's for bracing on the other side. I do it all the time, and the extra serving space is well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X