Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas needed for securing portable basketball goal to the ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas needed for securing portable basketball goal to the ground?

Getting the kids a portable basketball system for their birthday and am looking for ideas to secure it to the ground. Currently after any decent wind storm it's like driving an obstacle course down the street dodging all the that were blown over.

I was thinking lag something in the ground and take ratchet straps to secure it. Any other ideas?

Use a couple of those screw in dog keepers

1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Duct tape.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
        Use a couple of those screw in dog keepers

Yea, I was thinking about those, I just didn't know exactly how strong they were.

Comment

As long as your ground isn't a garden or soaking wet. These should be fine. Does the goal not have the big base you fill with water or sand?

Comment

Don't you fill the base with sand or something? Is this to keep it in place or prevent theft?

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
              Yea, I was thinking about those, I just didn't know exactly how strong they were.
              A dog I used to have pulled his out of the ground. It wen't probably 2'-3' into the ground, and he had it out in a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                Don't you fill the base with sand or something? Is this to keep it in place or prevent theft?
                They say sand, but that isn't enough. This is to prevent it from doing what all of them seem to do in the neighborhood and blowing over when the wind kicks up.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  A dog I used to have pulled his out of the ground. It wen't probably 2'-3' into the ground, and he had it out in a few hours.
                  LOL, scratch that idea

I swear I saw lags or eye hooks somewhere recently secured to the ground. I can always move it up a bit where it's on asphalt if that opens more options.

Comment

It was several years ago that the dog did that to the hook, but I remember the metal being pretty weak on it as well. I have no idea how much one of those basket ball nets weigh, but I'd imagine with strong wind they would put out a lot of stress on what ever it is anchored down on.
                    Maybe just cut up a fence post and cement it in the ground with an eye hook on the end of it?

Comment

If you are ok with drilling holes in the concrete just use a couple of anchors like these. I used something like this to cable lock my motorcycle to the apartment parking lot when I lived in an apt

Comment

If you are ok with drilling holes in the concrete just use a couple of anchors like these. I used something like this to cable lock my motorcycle to the apartment parking lot when I lived in an apt

Now that looks like an idea. Since its asphalt, will my normal drill work or does this require a hammer drill?

Comment

I did concrete with my normal cordless drill and a concrete bit. Not sure about asphalt

Comment

I did concrete with my normal cordless drill and a concrete bit. Not sure about asphalt
                            Aye, thanks, that will work then, just need to get a 1/2" carbine bit now

Comment

Wow I had no idea those were that expensive. Time to explore plan B. 300 lbs of sand isn't enough, I'm assuming 500 lbs will be. So I assume 6-80 lb bags of quickrete will be enough, I know this sounds redneck, but would filling this with concrete suffice?

Comment

Working...
                              X