No announcement yet.

My Remodel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good work man! We are buying the house we are in now so I'll be doing some remodeling too. Come help!
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

• Looks good. I can't handle the mess from crape myrtles. Everything looks good and you finally got gutters!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
        Good work man! We are buying the house we are in now so I'll be doing some remodeling too. Come help!
        Shoot, I barely have the time to work on mine and am finally to a point I'm ready to pay to get things done!
        Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        Looks good. I can't handle the mess from crape myrtles. Everything looks good and you finally got gutters!!
        Yeah, the mess is a hassle! Gutters took forever! All of the rain, and then getting pushed back for new construction. The price made it worth the wait. Their bid was $320 lower than the next best bid!
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Haveing our bathroom redone now. Wish i had the time to do it and finish within a reason time frame. Money down the drain sorta!

Comment

• Well, down spout #1 is plumbed. Dug that shit by hand. Thats not happening for the rest of it. EFF that. $132 for a trencher for 4 hours, that is next weekends project. Just need to find someone to give me a hand that has a truck with a hitch.

I spent a great deal of time this week taking pictures, studying water flow, and marking areas. I feel that plumbing the downspouts into drains, adding about 6 catch basins and leveling a couple of areas will solve about 90% of my standing water problem. The pther 10% will be the whole, it just rained off and on for 6 weeks and EVERYTHING is standing i water scenario.

Comment

• Did you ever think of rain barrels.

Comment

• Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                Did you ever think of rain barrels.
                The problem is more than just the water from the gutters. We have a few low spots that hold water. I was pleased to see that about an hour after the storm passed yesterday that we weren't stnding in water.

I opted for drains over a fresh grade because we have 2 small dogs and didn't want to have to deal with the muddy mess. It would have cost me about $3k to sod the yard, or wait for grass seed to germinate. So, I will put in catch basins, raise a couple of low spots, and go from there.

Comment

• A quick update. I am quite pleased with how the yard is coming along. I started last fall trying to kill weeds and nurse the little bit of grass along. 2 applications of pre-emergent, 2 applications of scotts weed killer for southern lawns, and now 2 applications of lesco 24-0-11. Now that we have full gutters and they are all plumbed into drains, my standing water, in the front yard, is taken care of. That should help the remaining bare spots come in.

Comment

• Time to power wash the fence. I wanting to do mine. Wood treatment in the wood is gone and needs some more.

Comment

• I washed it last fall, just never got to staining it. The plan is board on board cedar in the near future

Comment

• Good looking work nonetheless. Wish i had motovation to work on my place.

Comment

• Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                          Good looking work nonetheless. Wish i had motovation to work on my place.
                          Thanks. The next major project is to till about 2 ft on the outside and 3 ft on the inside of the fence running front to rear on the left side of the property, and about a 4 ft wide path along the rear fence. I discovered the hard way that my lot does not have enough fall for surface drains and I decided I did not want to have to deal with the mud/dirt from a full re-grade. So I am going to knock down the section that is higher than the rest of the yard along the left and lower the fence. Then I am going to create a swale (drainage ditch) along the rear fence line.

Comment

• I need to post some new pictures of the exterior.

Updates:

I have been focused on the yard and drainage for the past few months. The front yard is starting to get where I want it. Most of my bare spots are either gone or filling in. I still have some weed issues in places, some of which are pretty big. I hit a few of them with Image about 3 weeks ago and I can see a difference.

I have started shifting focus to the back yard. I caught pavers on sale at Home Depot so I bought enough to do a 12'x20' area. The plan is for a 12x20 patio, path to a fire pit, path to an island with a grill, and a hot tub on a ground level deck. It is going to take some grading for it all to work correctly. I am planning to set the paver patio slightly above grade to help establish the drainage pattern.

I began creating a swale along the back fence line to drain the water off of my lot. in about an hour with a trenching hoe I created a 4" wide path, just enough to see if it was going to channel the water out towards the fence. After doing this, I noticed a bit of relief in the standing water. It took a while for it to drain off, but with such a small "swale" that was to be expected. I also noticed that I was pulling water off of my neighbor's yards as well. This confirmed that the majority of the issue was in my yard and causing about 6 homes to have a large amount of standing water in their yards. Hopefully once I get the utility easement cleaned up, and a 4-5' swale established, this will alleviate a lot of problems, not only for myself, but for the homes around me.

My plan for this is to till a path along my fence and grade it out by hand. Once that is done, I will be able to raise the ground up in the low spots and grade it down towards the swale in the rear and hopefully over the next few month, pretty much eliminate my standing water issue!

I will get some pictures uploaded this weekend. I am going to try and finish the cedar shutters for the front of the house, as well as find a cornice guy to finish my shingle panels above the garage.

Comment

• As promised some visual updates. I finally finished the shutters for the front. They are very basic. 6" cedar pickets with 1x4 cedar for the rails. They are attached with tapcons. Since I picked up a masonry bit, I figured I might as well mount our coach lights. All that is left now is to finish the wiring.

I feel it REALLY dressed up the front of the house. I have a crew coming next weekend to finish the shingle panels over the garage. Once that is done, and painted, all I have left this year in the front yard is continuing to baby the yard and filling the bare spots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Paint that damn garage door too

Comment

Working...
                                X