Possible House Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible House Project

So i have been looking at a few houses with land lately, wanting to get out of the whole neighborhood thing. I came across a house that is 1300sqft and is pretty new. It is very crammed though, so i thought, if i bought it, I could add on? How hard or expensive would it be to add onto a house? I could do the drywall and all that, but how expensive would it get to have someone pour, frame, and do the roof?

Here is the original house

And here is my addition! It is adding 30 ft x 30 ft to the right hand side, then adding 14.5ft x 38ft at the back of the house

What do you guys think?
    2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
    1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
    1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. Turbo coupe
    1986 Ford Mustang GT T-Top
    2011 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
    2011 Ford Mustang V6
    2011 Ford Mustang GT
    2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
    2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4

Start here.....
    Well... we havent quite closed on the house (next week) but we have been working on getting this house for 2 months now. Its a short sale and has just been a pain in the ass. Well...thats what we get for getting a good deal. A little about the house: 1 acre lot 1700sq ft house built in 1963 Needs a little foundation work (on

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
      Ya, that thread is what gave me the inspiration to do something like this.
      2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
      1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
      2011 Ford Mustang V6
      2011 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Its going to be a lot more expensive than you think. And that's if it's even architecturally capable of being built the way you're wanting. You're also trying to reconfigure, which doesn't always work, especially with plumbing and electrical.

Comment

I personally prefer to not have doors leading directly off the living room. I would figure out a way to have a small inset, or hallway leading to your master. I also see a lot of rerouting of plumbing happening. Your master toilet alone is going to be a challenge.
          Looks like it'll be nice when it's finished though. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
            Its going to be a lot more expensive than you think. And that's if it's even architecturally capable of being built the way you're wanting. You're also trying to reconfigure, which doesn't always work, especially with plumbing and electrical.
            Ya, it definitely would help to get a contractor involved to figure out if its possible.

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
            I personally prefer to not have doors leading directly off the living room. I would figure out a way to have a small inset, or hallway leading to your master. I also see a lot of rerouting of plumbing happening. Your master toilet alone is going to be a challenge.
            Looks like it'll be nice when it's finished though. Good luck.
            That is what my main worry is. The sink and dishwasher plumbing would just need to be tweaked, but like you said the master bathroom and the washer's drain will be the hardest part for plumbing.
            2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
            1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
            2011 Ford Mustang V6
            2011 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Is it doable...yes. Would I do that...no.

Is this house a steal or something? Major remodeling will cost much more than building new.

The addition on the back.. is that added liveable sq footage and the rest a patio? Either way, you are talking about either redesigning the roof trusses to add the addition. Its doable as long as your roof has enough pitch to be able to accommodate a lower pitch on the addition.

What is the 30x30 addition? Garage? If so, that is an easy addition but you will have to extend all your roof trusses and what not.

The plumbing looks the hardest. Its probably doable but you will be breaking up a decent amount of foundation to make it work. You dont want the sink and dishwasher in an island. You want that space for a prep area. If you didnt have the door from the laundry room going to the kitchen I would make the kitchen a u shape with a decent sized island.

You are talking about adding 1500sqft. I really think you would be better off by just finding another house. Im guessing an easy $60k to do what you want to do. If you are out in the country, just build a metal building and build it into a house. I have a lot of vision and ideas when it comes to remodeling but yours just seems much more complicated. Also, that neo angle shower gets expensive when you talk about the glass enclosure

Comment

Just buy a different house.

Comment

Ya, I see what you guys are saying. I am not sure if I could get my money back from it if I did it. $60k is what i was thinking as well for the renovation. The house is sitting on 5 beautiful acres with a HUGE pond and the house is a 2007 house, but the bad is the size and it is about 1/2-1 mile away from a highway and across the street are businesses which i wanted to stay away from. They are asking $150k for the property and i was going to offer $130k then do the renovation putting me right at $200k. Not sure i could get that back due to the highway and businesses being so close. This property is in Whitesboro as well.
                  2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                  1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                  2011 Ford Mustang V6
                  2011 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    If you are out in the country, just build a metal building and build it into a house. I have a lot of vision and ideas when it comes to remodeling but yours just seems much more complicated. Also, that neo angle shower gets expensive when you talk about the glass enclosure
                    Do you know any companies that do this? I keep looking and the ones i come across want $130k+ to build one! Some people at work have said they have had one built that is about a 30x60 or so for $35k, that was for the building, foudation, plumbing, and framing. I just can't find any companies that cheap.

I have always wanted a metal building that has a 30x30 shop in the back then the front is probably 30x45 or so, which would be the living quarters. The garage would have stairs to a office and half bathroom, then from there have a door to a 2nd story storage(attic) that would be the area above the living quarters. On the opposite side of the stairs have a small elevating platform to make it easy to put stuff in the attic.
                    2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                    1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                    2011 Ford Mustang V6
                    2011 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I can't tell for sure, is it a 3 bdr 2 bath?

With that said, in a small home the key is garages, sheds and shops. A place to go with EVERYTHING not needed on a daily basis, places for projects and overall storage. Then the home can feel bigger with no clutter.

I also am curious about the back addition that you're thinking about. I personally don't think the 30x30 would be a huge deal (not cheap) if done by a good contractor and made to look like part of the home.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Personally? I'd leave the square footage as is. More efficient.

Know out the wall between the two adjoining bedrooms on the top left corner of the pic and put and Armoire or something to take it's place, or make a new closet. Bigger Bedroom. Bigger feel.

Then knock out the wall that separates the living and dining room to open the place up.

Then rent out the master and put that money towards principal.

Then once you have the house paid off, rent the whole thing out and build the house you want on another part of the property.

Voila.
                        Last edited by sc281; 12-30-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          I can't tell for sure, is it a 3 bdr 2 bath?

With that said, in a small home the key is garages, sheds and shops. A place to go with EVERYTHING not needed on a daily basis, places for projects and overall storage. Then the home can feel bigger with no clutter.

I also am curious about the back addition that you're thinking about. I personally don't think the 30x30 would be a huge deal (not cheap) if done by a good contractor and made to look like part of the home.
                          The back of the "house" would be a total of 6.5ft added then a patio that is 8ft out.
                          2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                          1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                          2011 Ford Mustang V6
                          2011 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Check craigslist. I believe TR Metal Buildings did Rreemos and someone elses here. $35k for a foundation and building would get you 2500sqft or so. Running utilities from the pole/street to the new building wont be cheap. I really think you would be way better off doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              Check craigslist. I believe TR Metal Buildings did Rreemos and someone elses here. $35k for a foundation and building would get you 2500sqft or so. Running utilities from the pole/street to the new building wont be cheap. I really think you would be way better off doing it that way.
                              I will for sure look into that.
                              2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                              1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                              2011 Ford Mustang V6
                              2011 Ford Mustang GT

Comment