4-wire range to 3-wire 220V junction box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-wire range to 3-wire 220V junction box

I just installed a new cooktop on my island. The cooktop has 4 individual wires (red,black,white,bare), ran through flexible conduit, from the power supply (there is no plug). My island cabinet has a 3-wire junction box (black,white,bare). I connected black to black, red to white, and white/bare to bare. I just want to confirm this is the correct wiring before I turn the breaker back on.

correct... red and black are hot leads (110v each) and the white is running the common. Bare is essentially common (ground)

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      correct... red and black are hot leads (110v each) and the white is running the common. Bare is essentially common (ground)
      Am I missing something? He went red to white. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding, the range needs 220V but he only has 110V in the wall. The red wire from the range needs a hot lead, but there isn't one there.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        Am I missing something? He went red to white. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding, the range needs 220V but he only has 110V in the wall. The red wire from the range needs a hot lead, but there isn't one there.
        You can use any two wire (actually 3 with bare) to wire in a 220 volt. The black and white will carry loads from each side of the breaker box rails. Most wiring these days carry a neutral (white) and ground (bare). He just needs to check that the breaker supplying the junction box has a 220v breaker and that the black and white wires are attached to the breaker. The proper will be:

old black to new black
        old white to new red
        old bare to new white and new bare

The original house wire has both hot leads being black and white. The ground will act as a common and ground so it will go to the bare and white on the new appliance.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          You can use any two wire (actually 3 with bare) to wire in a 220 volt. The black and white will carry loads from each side of the breaker box rails. Most wiring these days carry a neutral (white) and ground (bare). He just needs to check that the breaker supplying the junction box has a 220v breaker and that the black and white wires are attached to the breaker. The proper will be:

old black to new black
          old white to new red
          old bare to new white and new bare

The original house wire has both hot leads being black and white. The ground will act as a common and ground so it will go to the bare and white on the new appliance.
          Yes, I just skipped right over that the 3 wire box was 220V and was thinking the range was 220 (which it is) hooking to a standard box.

OP, as said either verify the breaker is a 220V or put a Fluke on it at the junction box to tell.

Comment

Everything worked as planned. House is still standing. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X