rear tire life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downs View Post
    My tires look like that at the end of their service lives. The street isn't the track and I'm not willing to push the bike to use every last millimeter of tread surface. Track is different if I fuck up the paramedics are right there and there's plenty of run off room.

Not to mention you spend a lot more time upright on the street. I do 100 mile a day commute if I don't take any detours to work or back and it eats up the center of your tire pretty quick.
    The end of their service life. I'm guessing you're in aviation? Yes I have had many years where my bike was my DD but I still got wear on the sides of the tire. And 10k on a tire, how are people doing this?
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Religious tire pressure checks keeping them at Manuf. recommended pressures, not riding WFO all the time and running sport touring tires such as the Shinko Raven and Pilot Road 2s. There's some deviation on the 10k number depending on miles of interstate and what not but usually 10k is the norm. Most guys who run similar tires on ADVRIDER, sport-touring.net, sporttouring.us get similar mileage out of theirs.
      2004 Suzuki DL650
      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
        You should do a track day and practice some cornering.
        Man this isn't an R1 or a 600RR.....and I don't really feel the need to try and break parts on my Blackbird or myself just to prove how low I can lean my bike...its fast enough for me to enjoy it without risking injury so take that nonsense elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
          10k miles out of a tire? must ride like a puss..
          Factory rear on my Z1000 lasted barely 4000 miles. Put Michelin Pilot R3's on and the back tire had over 10K miles before having to be replaced from hitting a pothole and gashing the tire. Still plenty of tread. It's not always how someone rides.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
            It's the way the engine delivers it's power. Go ride down a dirt road on a single and then a twin or a 4 cylinder. On the single you'll see where there's little "dig" spots in the ground every time the engine makes a power stroke especially when under throttle. The 4 cylinder or twin has closer spaced power strokes which makes life on the tire a bit easier.
            gotcha. i see what you mean.
            that would explain acceleration chop out of the corners (dirt mx)
            thanks for explaining.
            I never really seemed to get how they tend to pocket out in the ruts that way

Comment

I just spooned a set of Shinko 011 Verge on the front and rear of my bike today. Hope to get as close to 10k as I can, my understanding on the Verge is it's a SPORT-touring tire instead of a sport-touring tire.
              2004 Suzuki DL650
              1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

I had the Battle Ax's on the Busa and they normally lasted around 2.5K, put the Avon 45/46 combos on and they lasted 12.5K. It seems bike weight has alot to do with tire life.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  My last Michelin Pilot Power lasted about the same, my current Pilot Road II is at about 2 thousand now and it shows almost no wear. I'm sold on the Pilot Road II....excellent traction, very good handling, and so far they seem to have great life.
                  I'm about the same on mine. I like the Pilot Rd II.... So far!

Plus I ride mine everyday to/from work and weekends.

70 miles round trip for work to.

Comment

Working...
                  X