My LS-Coupe Turbo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
    Damn straight. I'd rather replace plugs than pistons/head gaskets.
    Ya, nice thing is even with the turbo and air conditioning the plugs can still be changed in about 10 minutes all from the top.

Comment

• Oh, and I was able to weld up the seams on my upper control arm brackets and installed my Wolfe anti-roll bar

Comment

• too much fuel and it won't burn and that's what happens... been there done that...
        03 Dark Shadow Grey Mach1
        "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

• Ya, I guess I would have expected more smoke (read: diesel cloud), but I really didn't see that much (granted I wasn't really paying too much attention to it either). Funny how one decimal point can cause such a big problem! Wouldn't have been an issue if my damn laptop didn't eat it's hard drive which caused me to have to recreate the formula in the first place!

Comment

• simply amazing.

Comment

• Love this build...keep the updates coming!
              70' Chevelle RagTop
              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

• Congrats!! Your car has came a long way! What kind of power are you expecting to make?
                Originally posted by Da Prez
                Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

• cant wait to see it in action.

Comment

• Wow, I really appreciate the kind words, now that the car is back in my garage (was out at my FIL's shop in Weatherford), I will be able to get it 100% a lot quicker. Since I was pretty much on my own as far as doing all the labor it is nice to hear others appreciate it.

As far as power I am really not sure. I figure once I get the tune decent with the current wastegate springs (5psi), I will rent out some dyno time and put the 15psi springs in. I have all the meth injection stuff in there, but haven't activated it since with the cold weather and 5psi I don't think it is needed. No idea what kind of RWHP to expect and don't really care, much more interested in what it will run. There is an S10 on YouTube with a LQ9 and S475 that went 10.1 his third time down the track (6.4 in the 1/8th). I would hope a fully setup fox coupe will go considerably faster, I still need to buy a 2 step for it before racing season starts again.

It is a blast to drive around now (even with my incredibly rich tune), the S400 is a LOUD turbo and it starts making noise as soon as you put your foot down!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Thats kickass dude!! Only thing I spotted that made me worry was the wiring so close to the turbo. I know you have heat sheild on it but all I can think of is the melted wiring I found after pulling the motor after I popped it. I would really try to relocate that stuff.

That looks like some real clean work though, Im really impressed how well it turned out. Have fun with it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lason View Post
                              Thats kickass dude!! Only thing I spotted that made me worry was the wiring so close to the turbo. I know you have heat sheild on it but all I can think of is the melted wiring I found after pulling the motor after I popped it. I would really try to relocate that stuff.

That looks like some real clean work though, Im really impressed how well it turned out. Have fun with it!
                              Thanks buddy, I appreciate all the help/tips you've given me along the way. You are right about that wiring, I need to figure something better out, would hate to melt that loom, there are like a hundred wires in there!

As for the work, there are places I could have obviously spent a lot more time paying attention to every detail, but I was under pressure to get it out of my FIL's shop (not to mention I wanted to hear turbo noises). I'll go back and try to perfect things one by one, but it is incredibly fun to drive even at a measly 5psi. 5psi might be where I keep it for street duty, it is right at the point of not holding traction as it is when the boost comes up. I cannot imagine what it's going to be like at 15psi! I see others projects (see kbscobravert), and his attention to detail and feel a little bad about not using fancy bulkheads for the wires coming through the firewall, and the welds he got Brooks to do on his cold side vs. my first timers attempt at tig'ing aluminum. Oh well, it's not perfect, but I know I did the best with the limited time I had, car runs great and it's the most fun thing I've ever driven.

Can't wait to take her to the dyno, track, cruises, and fire up the a/c on a hot summer night!

Comment

• So in addition to the more glamorous shots above, I thought this was funny. Using the turbo coupe to go grab grocery's!

Comment

Working...
                                X