No announcement yet.

Random PICTURE of the day thread *KEEP IT WORK SAFE*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because most people don't have a monitor with the resolution mine has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ratt View Post
      https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.16...num=1&t=h&z=15

Because most people don't have a monitor with the resolution mine has.
      holy shit I thought it was in the middle of nowhere in the desert!
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
        There may be another, but that one I posted is fucking huge. I'll take one of each, especially the A-10 and the F-15 and the F-18

Comment

• I saw a show about it once that said the planes come there and are mothballed that they might be returned to service in an emergency. I don't know if it applies to all of them or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank View Post
            I saw a show about it once that said the planes come there and are mothballed that they might be returned to service in an emergency. I don't know if it applies to all of them or not.
            it would take hours and hours to launch all the planes there. it would be fun to sit and watch if they ever put even a fraction of that fleet back in service.

Comment

• You had one job...

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.16...num=1&t=h&z=15

Because most people don't have a monitor with the resolution mine has.
                  Very neat.. I noticed they had some B-1B Lancers there too. If you zoom in you'll see 11 of them. But if you zoom out a frame, the picture changes to 15 B-1s..

edit: upon further review. It looks like they moved those four extras a mile north east of their original position. You could get some real intelligence from this if you know the purpose of each location on that map. Some areas could be used to prep an aircraft for storage while others could be used for prepping to return to service.. Just kinda interesting..

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    Very neat.. I noticed they had some B-1B Lancers there too. If you zoom in you'll see 11 of them. But if you zoom out a frame, the picture changes to 15 B-1s..

edit: upon further review. It looks like they moved those four extras a mile north east of their original position. You could get some real intelligence from this if you know the purpose of each location on that map. Some areas could be used to prep an aircraft for storage while others could be used for prepping to return to service.. Just kinda interesting..
                    I noticed that as well. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out if Google was dicking with me or if they actually moved them, lol.

Comment

• I saw one of those flying over GBT about a month or so ago. Or at least something incredibly like it.

Comment

• Some of you prob know this already, but...

Look at Harrison's third pic. You can see some of those 52s cut into pieces. That was done to comply with the START treaty after the fall of the Soviet Union. Hundreds of them were rendered useless and left in the open for Russian satellites to verify and for Russian inspectors to see on the ground.

Not cool.

but the cool part...

they were cut up with a 13,000 lb guillotine.

(yes, this is a B24, but same idea)

AMARC has recently (within the last three and one half years) planned, managed and supervised the elimination of 352 B-52 bombers in compliance with the conditions of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START). This was accomplished by using a 13,000 pound guillotine blade and Linkbelt crane with slip clutch that allows the guillotine blade to freefall,thereby severing the fuselage and wings into manageable sections for recyclers. Russian representatives have visited AMARC to confirm the elimination process

Comment

• That's awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            I've been to the edge, but the entrance was closing. The guy that was closing it was going to lunch with my uncle and me. Very interesting place.

On getting any of the planes back in service, I know the B52s that are there are beyond serviceable by description. The tears where the wings attach are generally 9-16 inches before the AF gives them up, strips them down, and flies them there by flying around any populated area. I know of one that left from Bangor Maine that was not what most would consider safe to fly.

They do make interesting satellite pics for sure.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Some of you prob know this already, but...

Look at Harrison's third pic. You can see some of those 52s cut into pieces. That was done to comply with the START treaty after the fall of the Soviet Union. The nuclear capable models were rendered useless and put on display for Russian satellites to verify.

I'm not sure the ones in his picture were destroyed but dismantled. Look at the closeup from this map.

These have been dismantled but not destroyed. They wouldn't have preservative wrapping on them otherwise. The difference here is that the START treaty required them to be destroyed so they couldn't be reassembled as shown in the picture you posted here...

Comment

Working...
                              X