Random PICTURE of the day thread *KEEP IT WORK SAFE*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• ^^^ must have been a scout. Always prepared.

Comment

• V-day gift:

Comment

• beautiful craftmen ship, amazing how they did all this without heavy equipment.

Comment

• I like that book! I also like the meme "got that bitch a starter, bitches love starting shit". it's posted a few pages back.
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

• Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
              beautiful craftmen ship, amazing how they did all this without heavy equipment.
              I like.......
              2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
              2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

• Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                beautiful craftmen ship, amazing how they did all this without heavy equipment.

Not that anyone really cares but that is the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, and it is one of the first (and largest) architectural examples of using pendentives to put a round dome on a square base. Very impressive stuff, especially when you consider it was done in like 500-700AD (don't remember exactly)

Comment

• now tracking on google: searches for the definition of pendentives.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    now tracking on google: searches for the definition of pendentives.
                    funny curved triangle-ish shaped transitions

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      Not that anyone really cares but that is the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, and it is one of the first (and largest) architectural examples of using pendentives to put a round dome on a square base. Very impressive stuff, especially when you consider it was done in like 500-700AD (don't remember exactly)

You don't remember exactly? Geez, what an idiot.

Comment

• Comment

• Well there's your problem!

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            You don't remember exactly? Geez, what an idiot.
                            History of Architecture was one of my favorite random classes in college. Fascinating shit.

Here's some more dome badassery for you:

The Romans also had a good grasp of civil engineering so when they built the Pantheon (for the third time) they were very conscious of weight. The lower levels of the dome are marble, but to lessen the load they transitioned to lighter and lighter materials as they built up. The roof of the dome is pumice.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X