No announcement yet.

Random PICTURE of the day thread *KEEP IT WORK SAFE*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having some custom subs made for my brothers birthday. He likes loud. He thought he knew what loud was. lol

Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• Headed out to the THUMS Islands tomorrow to check out some rigs. Here's my view this evening from the Long Beach Shoreline Marina

For background, the THUMS Islands are:
      a set of four artificial islands in San Pedro Bay off the coast of Long Beach, California. They were built in 1965 to tap into the East Wilmington Oil Field. The landscaping and sound walls were designed to camouflage the operation and reduce noise, and they are the only decorated oil islands in the United States.

After a 1964 court case that gave the state of California mineral rights to the area,[2] the islands were built at an estimated cost of $22 million in 1965,[3][4] the islands were operated by THUMS, a consortium named after the parent companies who bid for the island contract: Texaco, Humble Oil (now Exxon), Union Oil, Mobil Oil, and Shell Oil.[5] The rim of the islands are made of 640,000 tons of boulders from Catalina Island, and the islands were then filled with 3.2 million cubic yards of dredged material from the bay.[2][6] The islands contain significant landscaping, a waterfall, and tall structures concealing the drilling rigs, including one known as The Condo and mistaken for "a ritzy hotel" by those on land.[2][6] The structures are lit in colored lights at night. The aesthetic mitigation cost $10 million at time of construction, and was overseen by theme park architect Joseph Linesch. They were described by a Los Angeles Times writer as "part Disney, part Jetsons, part Swiss Family Robinson".

They're also called the Astronaut Islands and named after Grissom, Chaffee, White, and Freeman.

More pics later.
      Last edited by Strychnine; 06-06-2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Headed out to the THUMS Islands tomorrow to check out some rigs. Here's my view this evening from the Long Beach Shoreline Marina

For background, the THUMS Islands are:

They're also called the Astronaut Islands and named after Grissom, Chaffee, White, and Freeman.

More pics later.
        Very cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Comment

• Lmao, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gaYyNk7QA

Comment

• When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

Off Pass Beach in Byron Bay, Australia, a photographer snaps images of a yellow fish wholly engulfed inside a clear jellyfish.

I thought the jelly was in for a good meal.. but that might not be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                  Having some custom subs made for my brothers birthday. He likes loud. He thought he knew what loud was. lol
                  My Grandpa would have loved you man. He sold hearing aids for Beltone.

Comment

• As promised, more pics from the THUMS Islands. These are from Island White.

In the pic up above you can see how there's a ring around the inside perimeter and then some tank batteries and processing equipment in the middle of the island. That ring is a track (think railroad) that the drill rig moves on. The big tall structure with the blue panels... the drill rig is inside that. Between the rails is the cellar. On a land based rig site that would just be a square pit in the ground, but here it's a continuous trench that runs around the island. In the trench are wellheads that are staggered back and forth as it goes around the island.

I was told each island has 400-500 wellheads.

Here's the rig (inside the facade) and you can see the track

Here's a view inside the continuous cellar. For anyone familiar with service rigs think about this - the inner ring allows a service rig with a standard 3 - 3.5 degree leanback to operate. To hit that outer ring the rig can't back any closer to the wellbore so they operate on 8 - 8.5 degree leanback. A 250k rig gets derated to ~180k to do that (along with a lot of mods to the mast base, crown, etc)

In the middle of the island is processing equipmmnt

Drilling out a plug on the other side of the island with a workover rig and a power swivel

And some shots from the boat going to the other islands

Way back there on the left you can see the Queen Mary

Comment

• I've seen a lot of the well plans and as drilled for some of that. It's nuts.

Comment

• WRX

Comment

• Lol, forwarded to vegan mother in law.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Comment

• That's even more funny since I have an aunt Linda and she's exactly like that.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                                X