Personal best on bench last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal best on bench last night

Got 245 up on bench last night, I'm pretty excited for once. Before that doing 225 maybe twice was a good as it got for me. Probably could've gotten 245 up more than once but i did 235 twice before that.

Still can only get the 75lbers up on incline though. Tried the 85lb dumbells and thought i hurt myself. I hate doing incline

Just making this thread for my own tracking. So when i quit working out i can see where i was just a few months ago lol

Badass Bert. Fuck the negative vibes and push more.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      Badass Bert. Fuck the negative vibes and push more.

Thanks, Don. Maybe i'll actually try this time around

Comment

Keep pushing yourself. When your brain says you can't do the weight, go ahead and add 10lbs more. Fuck your brain.

Comment

worked out with dumbells for bench last night. A little different sore this morning, feels good.

This was the first time for me or my brother to work out flat bench using dumbells, so we kind of just guessed on where to start. We did 70,80,90. I was surprised i could even get the 90's up lol

Think we're going to do something like 2-3 weeks of dumbell bench then go back to the barbell for a week. We'll see how long that last

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
            Just making this thread for my own tracking. So when i quit working out i can see where i was just a few months ago lol
            Don't quit. It's depressing to shrink back down and lose all the gains you made.

worked out with dumbells for bench last night. A little different sore this morning, feels good.

This was the first time for me or my brother to work out flat bench using dumbells, so we kind of just guessed on where to start. We did 70,80,90. I was surprised i could even get the 90's up lol

Think we're going to do something like 2-3 weeks of dumbell bench then go back to the barbell for a week. We'll see how long that last

I love dumbbells.
            Men have become the tools of their tools.
            -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Alternate constantly. I use DBs and bar every week.
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
                Don't quit. It's depressing to shrink back down and lose all the gains you made.
                This. I took a couple years off, and it was quite depressing to get 135lbs up only 8 times the first set, and 6 times the second. As opposed to repping 225 for 12 previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  This. I took a couple years off, and it was quite depressing to get 135lbs up only 8 times the first set, and 6 times the second. As opposed to repping 225 for 12 previously.
                  x2 took a few months off lost alot of my strength and mass. It was so pathetic when I started doing arms and chest

Also Bert hows your progression going? I fucking hate flat bench, but I love incline. I don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    You will be back to those 225lb shoulder presses in no time though!

Comment

Keep up with the DB and barbell stuff. You need to keep your stabilizer muscles in tune as well has helping your strength gains. Skull crushers on an EZ bar are also the shit for gaining strength.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                        Keep pushing yourself. When your brain says you can't do the weight, go ahead and add 10lbs more. Fuck your brain.
                        ^ this!
                        Mental blocks are a bitch, just make sure your being safe. Lol, no need to hurt yourself over ten lbs.

Comment

To add about the safety part. It is not necessary to do 10 reps. Don't get into the mindset that if you don't kill yourself doing 10 reps for each set then you should go lighter. Five or six heavy reps will do you just fine especially if you don't have a spotter. I usually do a pyramid regiment where my last set is two or three reps. Then back off to six or eight with the final being eight or ten reps of light weight. Stay away from maxing out as well. That's as bad as weighing yourself every day if you're trying to lose weight as well as being more prone to injury. Your gains should be measured in how many reps you increase with a given weight.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            To add about the safety part. It is not necessary to do 10 reps. Don't get into the mindset that if you don't kill yourself doing 10 reps for each set then you should go lighter. Five or six heavy reps will do you just fine especially if you don't have a spotter. I usually do a pyramid regiment where my last set is two or three reps. Then back off to six or eight with the final being eight or ten reps of light weight. Stay away from maxing out as well. That's as bad as weighing yourself every day if you're trying to lose weight as well as being more prone to injury. Your gains should be measured in how many reps you increase with a given weight.

I disagree completely. Safety and good form should always be paramount, but you should absolutely be in the mindset to "kill" yourself with whatever weight is on the bar at the time. Rep range is important, so adjust as necessary to be in the specified rep range,with 100% intensity.

That having been said, if you are working without a spot there are exercises to bring down a notch in the name of safety, such as barbell bench and barbell shoulder presses, where failure isn't an option. Those coumpound movements need to at the core of any routine, spot or not, but they also need to be supplemented with lifts using dumbells, hammer strength, and machines that allow for safe muscle failure.

Gains can be made without failure, but you'll plateau fairly quicky, both in strength and size.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                              You will be back to those 225lb shoulder presses in no time though!
                              I know, and I must say that muscle memory has been great in terms of increasing poundages every single workout, as long as I don't pay any attention to what the weight actually is. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X