Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycling fitness (for my own accountability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
    If you dial your speed back a couple mph from your "max" you can ride forever. I think if you can ride 30 miles without dying you can ride 100k. You won't be able to average the same mph over 100k but you can make it no problem.
    Define "max"! My average at 14 mph is my happy medium. I could probably push at 15-16 mph constantly. What I try to do is find that happy medium between poweringvthrough at a lower cadence or spinning to maintain speed. I have tried to start stretching after every ride, I notice that I feel fatigue in my hips from spinning before my legs start showing signs of fatigue.

On the 31 I did this weekend, I don't think I took enough supplement on the bike to keep from bonking. I didn't take any food, I took a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade. Part of me feels that if I had taken something with some substance, I wouldn't have dropped off like I did. I did spend 3-4 miles trucking along at 18 mph with our "tour guide" so I am sure that had an effect as well.

Keep in mind, I am learning as I go. I wish my Dad were closer so we could ride together and I could learn from him, but he isn't. So, I am not set in my ways and am a clean slate! If it sounds like I may be doing something wrong, just let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

You might need to increase your carb intake and take some BCAA's. Keep hydrated and EAT! You must fuel those muscles, as tiny as they are, they need fuel. I know nothing of biking outside of BMX
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Hip flexor stretches and foam rolling (TP therapy grid max) are part of my routine whether I'm riding or lifting. Seat position and cockpit adjustments can go a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
          Hip flexor stretches and foam rolling (TP therapy grid max) are part of my routine whether I'm riding or lifting. Seat position and cockpit adjustments can go a long way.
          I had a basic fit in 2013, nothing since.
          I may be picking up a new bike this weekend, if not sooner. So, that will entail a new bike fit. If I pick it up, I will probably swap on a carbon handle bar of the appropriate width for my body frame.
          Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
          You might need to increase your carb intake and take some BCAA's. Keep hydrated and EAT! You must fuel those muscles, as tiny as they are, they need fuel. I know nothing of biking outside of BMX
          I need to start taking snacks of some kind with me. I have been increasing my overall daily consumption. Breakfast at 6:30, banana and or yogurt (greek with honey and granola) 8:30-9a, lunch around 12, clif bar at 4-5, ride/workout at 6-7p, dinner after. I want to develop the habit of eating every 30 min on the bike. I have always had a high metabolism and the increase in miles has kicked it into high gear.

Cyclists, what do you guys carry for nutrition.

Comment

What is: breakfast, lunch, dinner?

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Bteakfast is a peanut butter and honey sandwhich on whole wheat and a bottle of water. Up until this week, lunch was a combination of fast food junk washed down with water. Dinner varies, some days are healthier than other. 85% of the time it is steak/red meat, 10% is salmon, 5 % is chicken/pork. Accompanied by a vegetable and a starch.

Comment

Try incorporating some oats into your bfast and some proteins like egg whites. Clean up your lunch, I normally have steamed rice and grilled chicken breasts.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Try incorporating some oats into your bfast and some proteins like egg whites. Clean up your lunch, I normally have steamed rice and grilled chicken breasts.
                  Thanks. My problem with breakfast is time. I am always running late!

I started yesterday, bringing my lunch, so far it has been left overs from the night before. Today it is a Tuna salad sandwich.

One area that I need to improve on is meal planning. We stay so busy that if we don't plan ahead, dinner is a mess. I usually roll in about 6 PM, change and head to the gym or the bike. My fiance gets home about the same time some days, others it is 7 or 8. We haven't quite mastered the art of meal planning and portioning stuff so that it is ready to cook. Hopefully this coming weekend I can pre cook/grill some chicken for the week.

Comment

Baked chicken and freezer rice is how I portion lol. I'll thaw out a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts, bake them and heat up rice. Have some tubs set out and portion that way. Throw in some frozen broccoli too. I can have a whole weeks worth of lunch made in like 30 minutes.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Find out your BMR and look at your TDEE. I use myfitnesspal.com to ballpark my intake.

Since you're on the bike I would research no-bake cranberry chia energy bars to wolf down. They are easy to make and eat.

I got burnt out on prepping individual meals. Now I cook 4lbs of chicken or pork shoulder at a time in the crockpot. Throw some fresh veggies on top and add a carb of your choice. Really easy and inexpensive.

Comment

Bulk prepping is where its at. It seems like a lot of food but it's the way to do it.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Bulk prepping is where its at. It seems like a lot of food but it's the way to do it.
                          That is my plan for lunch. I can tolerate the monotony of essentially the same thing every day, save for different flavor profiles. Her on the other hand, she will burn out. So I need to come up with a different plan for dinner!

Comment

Same here, I cook pork chops, chicken (a lot), fish, steaks (rarely *frown face*) all kinds of shit. Just make sure it's clean and healthy food and have at it.

Check out http://fitmencook.com/

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Pretty sure I am taking the rest of the week off. 31 miles on Saturday, 13 on Sunday, 15 on Monday, and I fought through 20 today. 2 miles with a head wind, 6 more with hills and a head wind, 3 more with hills, 8 flat with a tailwind, and the last mile, steady grade uphill with that same headwind. I did average 14.4, fighting some very exhausted legs for the first 12 miles. Time to lay off and let them rebuild.

Going to check out a new (to me) bike on Thursday, if it works out, then I will knock off early on Friday and head to RBM for a fit.

I had planned for an upgrade to be a reward for a milestone. Well a pretty good deal came along so it may happen early. I started riding 3-4 weeks ago and have already logged ~220 miles. I will have to check my old computer, but I think that was the total of miles I logged in 2012.

Comment

A few days off as week to recover or doing something else is a great idea.

My big suggestion would be to keep track of the metrics but don't worry about them so much. Enjoy your rides! That's the key to sticking with it. Speed and distance will accrue naturally without worrying about them.

I'm looking forward to this pneumonia being gone so I can ride at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X