Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycling fitness (for my own accountability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
    A few days off as week to recover or doing something else is a great idea.

My big suggestion would be to keep track of the metrics but don't worry about them so much. Enjoy your rides! That's the key to sticking with it. Speed and distance will accrue naturally without worrying about them.

I'm looking forward to this pneumonia being gone so I can ride at all.
    That sucks it has you down! I haven't ran into any hiccups yet, but they will come I am sure.

The only metric I focus on during a ride is cadence, just trying to keep it high. I track everything through Strava and every once in a while I will compare similar rides just to guage where I am at. I try not to obsess over it, and I feel like I am doing a good job of it. I enjoy the hell out of riding, out there, the wind in my face, churning down the flats at 18-19 mph, my mind is clear, the stress of the day is gone. I am not worried about the wood floors that didn't get installed, or the wires that the electrician missed and is costing me a week of build time. It is my happy place. I think some of it stems from watching my dad as a kid. Sitting around that bend, watching the riders fly by, waiting, anxiously to see him go by. The est of it is that it just plain feels good. The burning in the legs, labored breathing pushing up that hill, knowing that I am making myself better.

Though there comes a down side. I got the lecture last night from the fiance. Being gone every night after I get home. Either to the gym for upper body or 1-2 hrs on the bike. Hopefully I can get her addicted to it. Hopefully she finds the same solice, peace of mind in it that I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Two things your fiancé needs to understand.

1). This is about your health, living a long full life and being around for kids/grand kids.

2). You are also relieving stress so you don't dump bad electricians on her.

Lastly you aren't doing something bad, and she is invited too! Cycling is very much a family activity.

Comment

Two things your fiancé needs to understand.

1). This is about your health, living a long full life and being around for kids/grand kids.

2). You are also relieving stress so you don't dump bad electricians on her.

Lastly you aren't doing something bad, and she is invited too! Cycling is very much a family activity.
        We touched on #1 last night. I apologized for the time away and closed with the health speech. Being 32, haven't really taken care of myself consistently since High School and finally decided to make a change. The downside is, I am often like a dog with a new bone, I am full speed ahead and submerse myself in something completely. Also a little afraid that too much time off or not enough dedication, and I will fall off just like I did in 2013.

Comment

Pace yourself. Cycling is an endurance sport. Signing up for 2 to 3 organized rides a year will keep you going. They are always fun. Also finding a few riding partners will keep you steady.

Cycling isn't really conducive to the new dog new bone style. It rewards steady work most.

Comment

Pace yourself. Cycling is an endurance sport. Signing up for 2 to 3 organized rides a year will keep you going. They are always fun. Also finding a few riding partners will keep you steady.

Cycling isn't really conducive to the new dog new bone style. It rewards steady work most.
            Hopefully my fiances boss sticks with it. That makes 2 personal friends that ride so I always have the potential of a small group.

I definitely need to find the happy medium between time at home and # of days to ride a week, etc.

Comment

Well, this happened today:

2011 Felt F5 limited edition thanks to AnthonyS. I wasn't quite ready to upgrade, but He offered me a sweet deal! I am schedulwd for a fit in the morning, can't wait to put some miles on this thing!

Comment

I pick up my new bike Saturday. And again, if you decide you don't like it I will buy it back in December for the same price. I already kind of miss that bike, but my wife assures me the new bike will do well. I did two half ironmans on that bike with my race wheels and some clip ons. The new bike should be faster in that type of environment...... we'll see.

And with 10 speed Force group I think Felt would've sold that as an F3 price wise. The F5 is always 105, the F4 is typically Rival, and the F3 is Ultegra/Force the F1 and F2 are Red/Dura Ace. I think Ultegra and Force are the best value in cycling groupsets. I'm going to have to relearn how to shift the Shimano way too.

Comment

Well, I put 5 miles on the new bike tonight. A few sprints, and some laps around an empty subdivision to acquaint myself with it. Saturday mornings I try to catch the group ride that leaves by my house. I wanted to make sure that I didn't run into any surprises.

It felt good, I logged my fastest mph under my own power to date at 27.3 via GPS. It felt great under power, WAY more stable than my old allez. That may change a little when I switch to the shorter stem and bar, I am pretty stretched out in the current configuration.

I have zero doubt that I am goingvto absolutely love riding this bike!

Comment

22.4 miles this morning. I was fortunate to catch the Saturday morning group ride. There was 8-10 of us, which helped a ton. Averaged 17-18 on the first 11 miles thanks to the paceline. They went on to ride 40-50. I wasn't comfortable going that length. Not only is it 10-20 miles past the 30 from last weekend which I had to force myself to finish, but the bigger concern was the new saddle. I felt like I was in the right place on the saddle, finally on my sit bones, but the new position is going to take a while to get my endurance built up. I didn't feel right on the Cobb Anthony sent with the bike, so I ended up with a Specialized Romin. It may end up getting swapped for something with a bit more padding. My narrow back side is hurting!

As for the fit and overall position, it is the best that I have felt on a bike. Zero knee pain, numbness and tingling in my arm and hands. Pretty sure it will be even better once I get the bars moved a little closer to me.

Comment

20.3 miles this morning. I wore my shorts with the thicker chamois, it helped with the saddle pain! 20.3 put me at 80.2 for the week. 4 full days of riding and one partial to dial in the bike.

Todays ride was relatively flat. A little bit of fatigue in my left hip, I feel its probably from 42 miles in two days, spinning 86 rpm.

I still feel good on the new set up, position feels good, and zero doubt that it is going to be great once I get a narrower bar and bring it a little closer to me.

Comment

Nice Felt, I nearly bought a Felt AR series bike this season but ended up finding a sweet deal on a used Cervelo S3.

Comment

Well, I ordered a new bar and shorter stem. I thought I ordered a short/shallow bar, but, it turns out it has the exact same dimensions of my other bar. I went from a 90mm to an 80mm stem. I feel a little better not being as stretched out. Though, the bike is now EXTREMELY twitchy.

16.4 miles at 15 mph. I struggled a bit due to poorly setting up the bar and the hoods before I set out for the ride. I spent the first 7 miles feeling like I was going to slide right off of the fron of the bike. I made a quick adjustment by rotating the bar to move the hoods to a better level. I need to do a little research on bars, find some bars that are shorter and go back to the 90mm bar forbthe stability and see how that feels

Comment

Any inputvon Nashbar products? So far their ergo carbon bars are 65mm reach, everything else I am finding is 72mm or more. 65 would put my hands in about where I need them and allow me to go back to the 90mm stem

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              Any inputvon Nashbar products? So far their ergo carbon bars are 65mm reach, everything else I am finding is 72mm or more. 65 would put my hands in about where I need them and allow me to go back to the 90mm stem

I have a few nashbar parts on different bikes. I haven't had any quality concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                                I have a few nashbar parts on different bikes. I haven't had any quality concerns.
                                Thanks. I have read some horror stories about carbon bars. Unfortunately its not the carbon I am after, it is the reach. My next option is a set of Ritchey WCS logic II. They have a 72mm reach. Unfortunately only half of the distance I am after.

Comment

Working...
                                X