Alright Bike guys, I'm thinking about a bike, let's talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright Bike guys, I'm thinking about a bike, let's talk

I'm 6'4 - 270 pounds. And have no idea what I want or need?

Looking at something to get me started, not sure if I want road/mountain, or a hybrid, maybe something strong enough to support my fat ass, but I can change wheels on at least.

I'm not looking to spend a ton either right now, this is one of those, I'm going to try this moments, and if I like it, i'll invest some time and money into it down the road. But i'd like to come home, grab the bike and go ride to burn some calories.

I live in Las Colinas so this park/trail is behind my apartment

So i'd probably just hop on it for a ride to start.

School me!

I have a nishiki that I bought at dicks, it is a solid rear with a quick adjust front shock setup. I love it being able to lock the front shocks makes riding on concrete easier, letting them back out makes trails a breeze. I think I spent around $300 or so when it was on sale.

Comment

Matt, I was going to buy a cheap diamondback or mongoose from Wally world for $2-300. Ryan and Luise both said they ride treks, so I started looking in to them. They're absurd new, but I decided to pick up a used one because of the resale value. I didn't spend much more than I wanted to, but you wouldn't get anything out of a cheap bike if you decided you don't like it.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I'm not against a used decent bike, my concern is what do i need, size, length, certain wheels, etc?

I know there's a lot more to bikes than just get on and pedal

Comment

I would suggest a seat that wont allow your ass to eat it!
          Even me at 220 lbs wanted a beach cruiser seat when i started riding!

Comment

God damn bob you used to be a skinny fucker

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              God damn bob you used to be a skinny fucker
              Yea last time you saw me I was a bean pole at 150lbs, Ive stacked on a little weight lol

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Matt, I was going to buy a cheap diamondback or mongoose from Wally world for $2-300. Ryan and Luise both said they ride treks, so I started looking in to them. They're absurd new, but I decided to pick up a used one because of the resale value. I didn't spend much more than I wanted to, but you wouldn't get anything out of a cheap bike if you decided you don't like it.
                I looked at those too. I ended up with the nishiki because it was well priced but still had all of the features I wanted, hell it even has front and rear disc brakes. I think the original price was like 5 or 600 so I got a hell of a deal.

Comment

I purchased a motobecane online for a pretty awesome price considering the equipment and paid a bike shop $50 to put it together. They have some awesome bikes in the sub $400 categories.

Comment

I will be glad to help you pick out a few options on Craigslist.

At your height you are going to want a frame with a 60cm top tube in a roadie and probably a 21" mountain bike / hybrid frame. I am just guessing but there are sizing charts all over the web. Look up a sizing chart to get an idea.

If I were going to get a bike to start riding with no aspirations of going fast yet, I'd probably start with a brand name hybrid like a used Trek or Specialized.

My son rode a Wal Mart Mongoose for a year. The components were junk. One of the bolts on his rear derailleur fell out to start a 15 mile ride in San Antonio once. It almost became a nightmare, but somehow my wife found the bolt in downtown near the Alamo.

Brand name bikes have brand name component sets that will literally last thousands of miles if oiled and adjusted properly. This is also why they cost so much more.

Motebecane is a knock off brand of assembled bikes sold in the US. They have all sorts of price points and all sizes. They typically sell through a site called bikesdirect.com. They have some awesome values, and the great thing is that they use good reliable component sets. Their bikes are probably 99% as good as the main brands, but you can get some killer deals too.

My next bike will be a cyclocross bike which is really a road bike set up to go in the dirt as well as on the asphalt. If I had money and only one choice for a do it all bike this is the route I would go.

I will have a hybrid, a roadie, a TT bike and soon a cross bike.

Hybrids and mountain bikes work anywhere and everywhere, they just aren't as fast on smooth surfaces.

I'd be happy to meet you at bike mart and help you go through their used selection too. I spend too much time and money there personally so I know a few people there. One of the guys I go to also lost a lot of weight by riding. He would be perfect to help you get started.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                      Yea last time you saw me I was a bean pole at 150lbs, Ive stacked on a little weight lol
                      Fatty

Comment

matt, check out dorba.org they have classifieds and the folks know a lot of crap over there.

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'd skip anything with a suspension. I'm a big boy too and the suspension just compress all the way down as soon as you sit on it anyway...so no sense in paying more for it. More of an upright riding position might be better too. so you won't be squeezing your gut when in the riding position. I tried the 3 speed beach bikes but not enough gear in those to get my big ass up any kind of hill and I was exhausted after a 1/4 mile. I've been lookoing at a trek navigator (COMFORT BIKE) and a Trek 7000 series hybrids. This is what I've found so far

Comment

Originally posted by bonfire View Post
                            I'd skip anything with a suspension. I'm a big boy too and the suspension just compress all the way down as soon as you sit on it anyway...so no sense in paying more for it. More of an upright riding position might be better too. so you won't be squeezing your gut when in the riding position. I tried the 3 speed beach bikes but not enough gear in those to get my big ass up any kind of hill and I was exhausted after a 1/4 mile. I've been lookoing at a trek navigator (COMFORT BIKE) and a Trek 7000 series hybrids. This is what I've found so far
                            What the??! Dude I was 330lbs when I started riding, a mountain bike, and had ZERO issues with suspension compressing and shit like that. I will agree with what everyone is saying about a mountain bike not rolling as fast/far as a road bike. But, OP, isn't your main goal to lose calories/weight?! More pedaling never hurt anyone.

The best thing that ever happened to me was that my BIL lent me a used GOOD bike that he had sitting around. I put a little money into it, got it rolling again, and realized that I had found my passion for riding. I have since bought 2 bikes. The first bike was a hard tail Specialized and my newest toy is a Specialized full suspension cross country bike.

Anyways, without rambling on, try to get your hands on a good used bike. Seems like you have some good guys from this board willing to help you out in person. If I were in the area I'd offer the same. Good luck and hope to see you riding soon!!

P.S. I will be in Dallas for Spring Break in March. I am taking my rig with me. Strongly considering a biking gtg!! Anybody interested please let me know. It doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. I'll ride anywhere. And it's not like we're gone be competing or anything. Just go out and have fun!! Hope we can work something out!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
                              What the??! Dude I was 330lbs when I started riding, a mountain bike, and had ZERO issues with suspension compressing and shit like that. I will agree with what everyone is saying about a mountain bike not rolling as fast/far as a road bike. But, OP, isn't your main goal to lose calories/weight?! More pedaling never hurt anyone.

The best thing that ever happened to me was that my BIL lent me a used GOOD bike that he had sitting around. I put a little money into it, got it rolling again, and realized that I had found my passion for riding. I have since bought 2 bikes. The first bike was a hard tail Specialized and my newest toy is a Specialized full suspension cross country bike.

Anyways, without rambling on, try to get your hands on a good used bike. Seems like you have some good guys from this board willing to help you out in person. If I were in the area I'd offer the same. Good luck and hope to see you riding soon!!

P.S. I will be in Dallas for Spring Break in March. I am taking my rig with me. Strongly considering a biking gtg!! Anybody interested please let me know. It doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. I'll ride anywhere. And it's not like we're gone be competing or anything. Just go out and have fun!! Hope we can work something out!!
                              Chuck, we should do a lap, two or three around whiterock lake. You've probably never seen that many cyclists out at one time, and it's a nice ride. It's not the ultimate terrain for your bike, but it is a fun ride. I could grab my hybrid for the trip.

I think there are some pretty good mountain bike trails in Denton, and there are always the Fort Worth trinity river trails and we could ride the river basin / levee in Dallas too.

One trip around Whiterock lake is 9 miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X