No announcement yet.

windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem for me is that there are hardly any drivers for the devices I use that seem to work for Windows 8. I get it free because the IT consulting firm I work for is a Gold Microsoft Partner and we have VLK for every operating Microsoft makes. I have a spare laptop at home I might throw it on for testing purposes, and I may even build that giant server box I have for a home machine with Windows 8, but only time will tell.

Comment

Microsoft screwed up by making Metro the default UI. Metro is kick ass for tablet and touch but not for standard desktops that most people are using.

BTW, here is a good article on clearing up some of the annoyances like the lack of a Start menu: http://lifehacker.com/5955755/how-to...like-windows-7

I do like metro for tablets and I'm working to get Windows 8 integrated into my VMware View VDI test environment. I want my end users to connect from a Windows RT device to a full windows 8 environment using VDI. It will look seemless to my end users because the Win8 VDI is using metro. From there they can get any non Win8RT apps. WinRT comes with a free virtual desktop access license (VDA) which otherwise costs $100 per user on top of the SA licensing MS already charges. That can be a significant cost savings to some of my customers.

One thing I really dislike about Windows RT is that it doesn't have an RDP client and you can't join it to an Active Directory. IMO that was kinda stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
        Microsoft screwed up by making Metro the default UI. Metro is kick ass for tablet and touch but not for standard desktops that most people are using.

BTW, here is a good article on clearing up some of the annoyances like the lack of a Start menu: http://lifehacker.com/5955755/how-to...like-windows-7

I do like metro for tablets and I'm working to get Windows 8 integrated into my VMware View VDI test environment. I want my end users to connect from a Windows RT device to a full windows 8 environment using VDI. It will look seemless to my end users because the Win8 VDI is using metro. From there they can get any non Win8RT apps. WinRT comes with a free virtual desktop access license (VDA) which otherwise costs $100 per user on top of the SA licensing MS already charges. That can be a significant cost savings to some of my customers.

One thing I really dislike about Windows RT is that it doesn't have an RDP client and you can't join it to an Active Directory. IMO that was kinda stupid.
        This makes me scratch my head. Two of the most beneficial things Windows environments have going for it and they left it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
          This makes me scratch my head. Two of the most beneficial things Windows environments have going for it and they left it out.
          Because it's RT, or a lightweight home version.

This forces people to upgrade to PRO for these features.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
            Because it's RT, or a lightweight home version.

This forces people to upgrade to PRO for these features.
            Oh right, overlooked the RT. As it stands in Windows 7, only pro and above get domain joining ability and remote desktop, correct?

Comment

Ugh, eyefinity desktops are still broken. I have 4 displays.
              1 = 3008wfp
              2/3/4 = 2007FP.

Stupid windows tries to apply the same image from lcd 1 to 2 and 3 leaves 4 black. UNLESS the eyefinity desktop is the primary.

Comment

So, I installed it on my personal laptop, and am impressed at how fast and smooth it runs compared to Windows 7 (which was a HUGE leap from Vista). I'm going to install it on my work laptop this evening and use it for as long as I can without using the start button add-on. I did already try the start button addon, and it's exactly like Windows 7 if you add it (the startisback addon automatically disables the Metro UI interface so you don't have to see it when you log in).

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  Oh right, overlooked the RT. As it stands in Windows 7, only pro and above get domain joining ability and remote desktop, correct?
                  7 Home Premium also has RDP. Pro and up to join a domain.
                  كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                  Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                  Originally posted by Trick Pony
                  ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                    7 Home Premium also has RDP. Pro and up to join a domain.
                    True, but 8 RT is not the same as 7 home.

It's the pre install only version for ARM processors. It includes a "light" office version as well. I'm sure you'll be able to find an rdp client to install to RT later.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                      True, but 8 RT is not the same as 7 home.

It's the pre install only version for ARM processors. It includes a "light" office version as well. I'm sure you'll be able to find an rdp client to install to RT later.
                      I was only referring to 7...I don't know what versions of 8 have what.
                      كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                      Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                      Originally posted by Trick Pony
                      ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Working...
                      X