Best tablet buy at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abecx View Post
    I've had 2 android tablets and 1 ipad, I will never buy another android tablet. The operating system is just too messy, ipad is too fluid and smooth. iPad mini is the perfect tablet in my estimation.
    Wtf has happened to you... :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
      Fuck him for wanting a polished product, right?

Comment

The ipad is a much more polished product. But, it's much more limited also. For me, an android tablet makes sense. I have freedom to play media I download, and effortlessly hook up to any PC or computer via USB and transfer media back and forth. I value that more than a polished UI.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          The ipad is a much more polished product. But, it's much more limited also. For me, an android tablet makes sense. I have freedom to play media I download, and effortlessly hook up to any PC or computer via USB and transfer media back and forth. I value that more than a polished UI.
          I think this Nexus is even more polished and refined than an iPad. I've used my sister in law's extensively, and this blows it away. I've never used another Android or Windows tablet for comparison, but so far I love this thing.

Comment

I believe it was c|net or engadget that rated the Nexus 7 as the best tablet (better than the Ipad) for 2012. I see the attraction to the ipad for sure. I ended up with a Tab2 10.1 - aggie97 hooked it up!
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              I have that same benefit, I use Plex on my iPad without issue and access the 8TB of movies, videos and music I have on my linux server, 99% of which are downloaded from various locales ^_- . My tablet is freely accessible to all my computers no matter where I am as long as I have internet. Best part is the ecosystem lets me stream things straight to my tv.

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
              I got tired of spending months setting shit up to work, Linux is behind the curve when it comes to home integration. Apple has done it right. My mac book is just like a linux laptop for the most part except that its not cludgy mess of packages, compiled applications, and I dont have to spend weeks tuning samba, my backup setup, or configuring random bullshit that linux barely supports.

Originally posted by UserX View Post
              I think this Nexus is even more polished and refined than an iPad. I've used my sister in law's extensively, and this blows it away. I've never used another Android or Windows tablet for comparison, but so far I love this thing.
              I wont argue semantics and viewpoints of refinement, I realize its in the eye of the beholder, but I can clarify why I feel that way. Whenever Android has snapshot level backups, can talk to all my other android devices ( of which my tablet and phone did not natievly, I guess because they weren't the same vendor ), can seamless integrate cloud into my setup, can locate each other, have all functionality built in that I need in whatever use case ( why do people get hard up like they walk around using a linux terminal on their android and cant do it in ipad? Who the fuck needs that? ), then I'm fine with my choice. Android is just too slow and messy. Whenever android turns C instead of a layer on top of an Operating System, and can talk to other android devices natively regardless of vendor, then maybe it'll be smooth enough in my eyes to be classified as 'refined'.

Bill Gates once said something similar to the following many years ago, Linux and Open Sources downfall is that its open, and it is spot on. I look at the directory listing on my android, and seemingly every fucking app makes its own directories. Its a fucking mess. I have 10 apps that do the same thing, or cross over from what another app does, the battery life is atrocious ( efficiency wise ), and I've yet to see things just work together. Linux and open source in general depend on the user to make things intuitive.
              Last edited by abecx; 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I have that same benefit, I use Plex on my iPad without issue and access the 8TB of movies, videos and music I have on my linux server, 99% of which are downloaded from various locales ^_- . My tablet is freely accessible to all my computers no matter where I am as long as I have internet. Best part is the ecosystem lets me stream things straight to my tv.

I got tired of spending months setting shit up to work, Linux is behind the curve when it comes to home integration. Apple has done it right. My mac book is just like a linux laptop for the most part except that its not cludgy mess of packages, compiled applications, and I dont have to spend weeks tuning samba, my backup setup, or configuring random bullshit that linux barely supports.

I wont argue semantics and viewpoints of refinement, I realize its in the eye of the beholder, but I can clarify why I feel that way. Whenever Android has snapshot level backups, can talk to all my other android devices ( of which my tablet and phone did not natievly, I guess because they weren't the same vendor ), can seamless integrate cloud into my setup, can locate each other, have all functionality built in that I need in whatever use case ( why do people get hard up like they walk around using a linux terminal on their android and cant do it in ipad? Who the fuck needs that? ), then I'm fine with my choice. Android is just too slow and messy. Whenever android turns C instead of a layer on top of an Operating System, and can talk to other android devices natively regardless of vendor, then maybe it'll be smooth enough in my eyes to be classified as 'refined'.

Bill Gates once said something similar to the following many years ago, Linux and Open Sources downfall is that its open, and it is spot on. I look at the directory listing on my android, and seemingly every fucking app makes its own directories. Its a fucking mess. I have 10 apps that do the same thing, or cross over from what another app does, the battery life is atrocious ( efficiency wise ), and I've yet to see things just work together. Linux and open source in general depend on the user to make things intuitive.
                Fair enough... Check your pm' s!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

I got tired of spending months setting shit up to work, Linux is behind the curve when it comes to home integration. Apple has done it right. .
                  Agreed. I hate the argument that you're some how less technical if you decide to use iOS. The argument for me is that I just don't feel like making things harder on myself to accomplish the stuff that I want to, which in most cases is elongated with the lack of refinement inherent to the android OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                    Agreed. I hate the argument that you're some how less technical if you decide to use iOS. The argument for me is that I just don't feel like making things harder on myself to accomplish the stuff that I want to, which in most cases is elongated with the lack of refinement inherent to the android OS.
                    That is exactly why I switched, and its a recent one too. My work gave me a mac book pro retina, 500GB ssd, 16GB of ram and I was like what the fuck is this. Then I won an iPad mini at the company xmas party.

Shortly after I bought an apple tv, and all the other components to make my laptop a full fledge desktop.

At this point I was like holy shit I've been wasting so much of my time that I could have been using fixing up my craft.

I'm a Linux Engineer, my time shouldn't be wasted on trivial bullshit, and I'm glad to say it no longer is.\

My favorite purchase is the fucking Time Capsule. Having no brainer snap shot level backups is fucking amazing for ALL my apple devices. All I have to do is be connect to my network and it does hourly snapshots. -_-

You've never seen a computer restore until you've done an apple compute restore.

Comment

Let it be forever memorialized here, this day May 31,2013, Abecx has gone the way of Apple. Tis a sad day in history folks...

sudo rm /nerdcard

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

That is exactly why I switched, and its a recent one too. My work gave me a mac book pro retina, 500GB ssd, 16GB of ram and I was like what the fuck is this. Then I won an iPad mini at the company xmas party.

Shortly after I bought an apple tv, and all the other components to make my laptop a full fledge desktop.

At this point I was like holy shit I've been wasting so much of my time that I could have been using fixing up my craft.

I'm a Linux Engineer, my time shouldn't be wasted on trivial bullshit, and I'm glad to say it no longer is.\

My favorite purchase is the fucking Time Capsule. Having no brainer snap shot level backups is fucking amazing for ALL my apple devices. All I have to do is be connect to my network and it does hourly snapshots. -_-

You've never seen a computer restore until you've done an apple compute restore.
                        Yep, think some people just really enjoy the "driving" behind the manual work thats done with android, etc. For me, I like stuff to be as easy as possible, especially when it works how I want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                          Let it be forever memorialized here, this day May 31,2013, Abecx has gone the way of Apple. Tis a sad day in history folks...

sudo rm /nerdcard

If there's a better performing ecosystem out there, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post

sudo rm /nerdcard

I have more linux than apple.

Comment

Working...
                            X