It's 4k time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roliath View Post
    As someone who owns a titan x and has a 4k monitor. Don't buy a titan x for 4k gaming; buy a 980ti, or two.

Unless you can get a deal on an open box titan x @ microcenter + 30% off open box coupon. Don't do it and stick to 980 TI.

I can give you vram examples @ resolutions up to 5k if you are interested. The max i've ever seen my vram numbers at was 7.9GB @ 5120x3200, and that's me forcing the .ini to use as much ram as possible. GTAV uses at most 5GB @ 4k completely maxed out, well beneath 980ti's limit.

If you choose to go Titan X route, you have to keep the GPU temps cool enough to stop thermal throttling and keep your boosts clocks high. That's the only way to make this GPU worth it imo. Keep them cool enough to stay over 1400 when boosted is key. I don't plan on getting rid of my Titan but if i could do it again I would have just gone 980TI.
    Well, the 980Ti wasn't available when you built your system I'm sure. I'm going to see how one 980 does, and add another if I need it. I was going to ask, how does 1080p look on a 4k screen? I would think it would look better than most non native scales since its exactly 4x.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Upscaling isn't great. 1080 will still look like 1080.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Well, the 980Ti wasn't available when you built your system I'm sure. I'm going to see how one 980 does, and add another if I need it. I was going to ask, how does 1080p look on a 4k screen? I would think it would look better than most non native scales since its exactly 4x.
        depends on which monitor you go with, pixel size, and how far you sit from it. but it could look decent enough if you get a good monitor.

the 980ti wasn't available but its such a much better purchase now compared to the titan x.

Comment

As long as it doesn't look like total shit.

I bought the asus pb28xxx or whatever it is. 60hz
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Need a new PSU?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
              Need a new PSU?
              I shouldnt, my old antec Tru power 850 is still ticking. I'm second guessing my monitor choice. Do you think I should exchange it for the Acer gsync model? Is gsync worth the money?

Comment

I had the g sync acer and returned it because of ghosting. Maybe it was bad luck but I didn't want to play exchange with amazon.

Gsync is amazing for 144 hz but for 60hz is garbage.

If you're doing the returning thing, you should really try out a 1440p 144hz Asus or acer predator for a few more hundred. If you like FPS games like BF ect there's nothing like it.

4k is really taking alot of unnecessary power and I believe you could just buy another 970 and be in the 120+ fps range and still be OK with 3.5gb of vram@1440p and the resolution difference is negligible. 4k looks amazing don't get me wrong but it doesn't like dx11 games for the most part. Maybe dx12 will be groundbreaking for 4k but we will see.

2560x1440p 16:9
                Asus Pg278q 144hz tn panel 750.00 gsync
                Asus Pg279q 144hz ips panel 850.00 gsync
                Acer Xb270hu 144 hz ips 750.00 gsync
                Do not look at the overclock able monitors. They changed panels to the awesome Korean monitors and now they all have pwm flicker.

21:9 1440p
                I'm using a 3440x1440p 21:9 60hz and I'm hooked. I'm selling it for the 80hz Gsync version, but I'll always have at least one 21:9 monitor from now on.
                LG34um95p@500 it was 1k 8 months ago if you can wait for me to find the newer release.

Samsung ju6500 is getting good desktop reviews. I have my eye on one of these too in 40. If you do buy a 4k monitor that is TV size make sure it does 444 chroma at 60p. (Hz)

As far as desktop 4k for gaming they are all pretty bad so far that I've seen. I've heard good things about the 5k dell but now you're getting into a 1400 dollar monitor. 800 is max I feel good spending and that's more than most sane people..
                Last edited by FunFordCobra; 07-20-2015, 11:19 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Would gsync be even more beneficial if you're just shy and teasing the 60fps mark regularly?

Comment

Would gsync be even more beneficial if you're just shy and teasing the 60fps mark regularly?
                    you can always grow into it.

i think its always beneficial to have the frames synced with your gpu, you will never have to turn on vsync, you will NEVER have to deal with screen tearing again! This can be achieved with a 144hz monitor though. Gsync doesn't play nice with SLI according to a few of my friends. So there's that to keep in mind as well.

Comment

Yeah... I'm kind of vacillating on if I should return this one and get the g-sync monitor or not. I'm thinking I will, but I sure wish someone could sell me on it.

Comment

Yeah... I'm kind of vacillating on if I should return this one and get the g-sync monitor or not. I'm thinking I will, but I sure wish someone could sell me on it.
                        There's always gonna be something better to upgrade to, and prices should only fall.

If you don't mind dropping the resolution to 1440p, you have to give this a serious look. Acer XB270HU

I would probably get something like that to hold me over another two years until 4K sets and pascal/dx12 really take off. This will allow you to get away with a little less gpu horsepower as 1440p is way easier to drive than 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                          There's always gonna be something better to upgrade to, and prices should only fall.

If you don't mind dropping the resolution to 1440p, you have to give this a serious look. Acer XB270HU

I would probably get something like that to hold me over another two years until 4K sets and pascal/dx12 really take off. This will allow you to get away with a little less gpu horsepower as 1440p is way easier to drive than 4k.
                          I'm definitely already invested in 4k, that ship has sailed. I'm just not really interested in going to 1440p, I'm ready to take the next step, that's the reason I'm forking over the cash. to do just a slight bump to what I have isn't really that interesting me, if that makes sense.

Comment

I cant wait until the day I make CJ money!

Comment

I just finally saw something that interested me enough to spend money on it, going from 1080p to 1440p, or 60 to 144hz, etc. that isn't interesting enough (to me) to spend money on. But going from 1080p to 2160 is one fucking hell of a difference worth spending the money.

Comment

I'm just fuckin' with ya. I just finally got a PC that can handle most games at max ( 1080p ) So I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X