No announcement yet.

Steely Dan tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really dig on them. I think it's funny/campy music that evokes images of quaaludes, big shirt collars, and old timey masturbatory implements.
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      I don't really dig on them. I think it's funny/campy music that evokes images of quaaludes, big shirt collars, and old timey masturbatory implements.
      Some of it is, and it was meant to be that way (you know their very name is from a robotic dildo in an old science fiction book). "My Old School" (which has some really nice guitar work) was about an overblown drug bust at Bard College that was carried out by none other than the famous G.Gordon Liddy. "Tried to warn you about Geno and 'Daddy G' ".

To be fair, some of the 50-year-old country music that we know and love (and play!) has some silly/campy lyrics and theme's. Crying in your beer (or whiskey) because A) your woman cheated, B) your woman left, or C) she left AND cheated were some REALLY common theme's. From a guitar player's perspective, about any country song written from 1950 till 1980 can be played with 3 chords. I still love them, but they are not without fault.

Comment

I definitely didn't say I didn't enjoy it, just that I'm not really "into" them... don't know their library, etc.
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Totally understand. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            Totally understand. Different strokes for different folks.
            I like all of their stuff, but Katy Lied and The Royal Scam, I feel, are their best works.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

They call Alabama the crimson tide...

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                I like all of their stuff, but Katy Lied and The Royal Scam, I feel, are their best works.
                This. I'm also partial to Aja.

Donald Fagen may be the greatest musical mind of the 20th century this side of Thelonious Monk. The word 'encyclopedic' gets thrown around a lot, but I mean it very, very literally when I say that he and Walter Becker have an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of music. Hearing the two of them talk about their music and how they write and the background they pull from is nothing short of mind blowing. I think the laundry list of the whos-who of session musicians that have played with them speaks for itself.

They also happen to make some really, really great pop music for a band that is as technically sound as anyone that's ever caught a whiff of the radio.

I'm pretty upset with myself for missing this show.

Comment

Frank Zappa would bust those chumps wide open, dude.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    Frank Zappa would bust those chumps wide open, dude.
                    There's an interview where Zappa actually had praises for them and Fagen's tongue-in-cheek lyrics. Steely Dan really wanted Zappa to produce them because they felt like he was the only guy that saw where they were coming from. He was tied up with his own projects at the time. Fagen has mentioned Zappa several times in older interviews, and how he influenced them.

Didn't work out like you thought, huh?

Zappa died in '93 and he had TONS of chances to bust their ass. They had already been around for 20+ years.

Comment

Working...
                    X