Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independence Day 2

I'm not even bullshittin'.

Believe it or not, 20th Century Fox’s Independence Day 2 is moving forward with the film’s original helmer, Roland Emmerich, in the director’s chair. Actors Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are already set to reprise their roles from the original film and now it looks like Will Smith, who had originally been thought to be too expensive and famous to return to the series, might also be on board. While Smith’s potentially late arrival to the film might push the release to 2016 according to Emmerich, fans of the original are more than likely to give him the time. Surprisingly, Emmerich has already dropped a lot of hints about the film’s story, which is obviously subject to change given how early in the process it is.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, he told the publication that, “The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back. And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years.” He also explained that, “It’s a changed world. It’s like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don’t know how to duplicate it because it’s organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an antigravity device and put it in a human airplane.”

Of course, leave it to Pullman to reiterate that, as close as the film appears to be, not to get too excited yet. “Nobody’s holding their breath because [the sequels have] been continually plagued,” he said. But given that the potential follow-up sounds fairly interesting, especially the idea of an alternate history, it would be great to dive back into the world we remember from the late 90s.

I thought they made this into a series already. Falling Skies.

Would rather see the promised I Am Legend sequel/prequel.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I still watch the first one every time it comes on.
      "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
        Same.
        Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

My favorite movie as a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
            Yup
            2014 GT
            2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Welcome to Earf!

Comment

It might disappoint you that Dr. Ian Malcolm will not be featured in Colin Trevorrow's upcoming Jurassic Park sequel Jurassic World, but don't take that to mean that Jeff Goldblum is done reprising characters he played back in the 1990s. In fact, it turns out that he may be doing one very soon, as director Roland Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin have already approached him about the in-development Independence Day 2.

This cool bit of news was recently dropped by Goldblum during an interview with Time Magazine. The actor says that he has been meeting and talking with Emmerich and Devlin over the last several months and confirmed that they are making room for him to return as computer expert David Levinson. But while the film is currently penciled in for a July 2016 release date - courtesy of 20th Century Fox - Goldblum added that the state of the project seems to be a bit up in the air and that he wasn't entirely sure when things would actually get moving on it. Said Goldblum,

"'Nebulous until actually' is what that file is under, but yeah, they’re still talking about it and I’ve heard recent rumblings here and there about it, and 'Oh, there’s a scripting coming in' — maybe last weekend there was a script handed in, so it’s brewing.

If Jeff Goldblum does officially decide to take the plunge, sign a deal, and be a part of Independence Day 2, he will be the second actor from the original to do so. Bill Pullman is also going to be reprising his role, playing President Thomas Whitmore (though presumably he will be an ex-president in the movie). Exciting as it is to have these two supporting players coming back, however, the same cannot be said for Independence Day's lead. Will Smith has decided that he doesn't want to be a part of the upcoming sequel. This is certainly not great news for the production, but it also doesn't really slow things down, given that the film has been working with two completely different scripts: one with Capt. Steven Hiller and one without.

In order to make its scheduled release date on July 1, 2016 - almost exactly 20 years after the original - Independence Day 2 will need to go into production next year, most likely sometime during the second quarter. This means that things are likely going to start seriously ramping up over the next few months, and the fact that a new script was just recently handed in is definitely good news. The coming weeks and months should likely feature all kinds of updates, from new cast members and character reveals to production start dates and locations. As always, we'll keep you updated with the latest information, so stay tuned!

It might disappoint you that Dr. Ian Malcolm will not be featured in Colin Trevorrow's upcoming Jurassic Park sequel Jurassic World, but don't take that to mean that Jeff Goldblum is done reprising ch

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  In order to make its scheduled release date on July 1, 2016 - almost exactly 20 years after the original
                  This line just made me feel really old.
                  Steve Riss | Forum Administrator
                  CJ Pony Parts, Inc.
                  1-800-888-6473 ext. 143

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | YouTube | CJ Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Steve@CJPP View Post
                    This line just made me feel really old.
                    I remember going to go see it in the movies the weekend it came out. Doesn't feel like 20 years but I guess it has been.

Comment

I don't have high hopes for this. The original was a good stand alone alien invasion movie by itself. It really does not need a prequel or a sequel. Just leave it alone.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                        I don't have high hopes for this. The original was a good stand alone alien invasion movie by itself. It really does not need a prequel or a sequel. Just leave it alone.
                        This...fuck Hollywood recycling shit
                        sigpic

Comment

This films going to need more crazy randy quaid

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                            This films going to need more crazy randy quaid
                            All films could use some crazy Randy Quaid.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                              I thought they made this into a series already. Falling Skies.

Would rather see the promised I Am Legend sequel/prequel.
                              I might be in the minority but I Am Legend fucking sucked. If there is no sequel, the world would be better off.
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X