Netflix Original: Bill Nye Saves The Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
    But some are more educated speculators than others which makes it more valid!

The amount of polar bears is decreasing, according to NASA, the artic cap is melting and the antarctic cap is growing...but not as fast as the Arctic is melting, and yes Al Gore is a dickhead.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Mother Earth works in waves over millions of years. Some go up, some go down. We're nothing but a zit on the ass of Mother Earth. She will keep doing her thing with or without our help/fucking it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
        Mother Earth works in waves over millions of years. Some go up, some go down. We're nothing but a zit on the ass of Mother Earth. She will keep doing her thing with or without our help/fucking it up.
        So just to get your argument straight, assuming you had your facts backed up by some kind of acceptable evidence, your plan is to assume we'll hit a "cold spell" a million years from now, and then we'll be all good?

Do you really believe with current trends the human race will be around long enough to hit a single "wave"?

We're doubling population every ~64 years. 7.5 billion now. We'd be sardines in a couple thousand -- assuming we somehow survive famine, lack of fresh water, and other issues.

What is your proposal for us based on your statement? Do nothing?
        2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
          Sure, but our speculation in the latter part of this thread has been much more compelling than it started.

Recapping, buncha haters jumped on Bill Nye, got challenged, then cited popular biased media websites with crappy ads and no citations as rebuttal. Total nonsense. Then some other folks came in here and started presenting real thoughts.

I'm just happy some compelling evidence is being thrown around, regardless of the belief in it. Enough of that, and you might actually educate some folks to go figure this stuff out on their own and not take popular media for truth.
          But yet nothing actually happened. All sides have the exact same viewpoints and nobody convinced anyone of anything, despite quoting, copy/pasting, and linking all kinds of data.

I know the evidence, you know the evidence. This thread? All speculation and hypothesis. Just like global warming.

Comment

We're doubling population every ~64 years. 7.5 billion now.
            If that trend continues Global warming/climate change/whatever the fuck they call it next, isn't as big a problem as some want you to believe. We will kill each other, die of disease, or die of starvation before any thing climate related negatively affects us.

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post

and for those who dont see what happened here, i present a topic that i know will gain traction, to get conversation rolling and educate myself through those with experience in the matters.

no harm no foul, just a mature, adult conversation, aside from SS junks posts.
              mschmoyer does not see what happened here. At all.

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                If that trend continues Global warming/climate change/whatever the fuck they call it next, isn't as big a problem as some want you to believe. We will kill each other, die of disease, or die of starvation before any thing climate related negatively affects us.
                So your argument is you think other problems are worse, fair enough. They address exactly each of the other problems you quoted above in this show (and other scientific endeavors). Again not saying he's right in approach or that this show is the end-all-be-all, but they're not just hooting & hollering about one issue. Same formula applies to all of them.

Food - ep.4. Disease - ep. 6. Population - ep. 13.

How do you propose we solve disease? Starvation? Even war?

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
                  But yet nothing actually happened. All sides have the exact same viewpoints and nobody convinced anyone of anything, despite quoting, copy/pasting, and linking all kinds of data.

I know the evidence, you know the evidence. This thread? All speculation and hypothesis. Just like global warming.
                  Here's a question for you -- do you think it will ALWAYS be speculation? Or do you think someday we may be able to get fairly accurate as to what the model will be? What evidence would they have to present for you to believe whatever the hypothesis is?

Comment

So your argument is you think other problems are worse, fair enough. They address exactly each of the other problems you quoted above in this show (and other scientific endeavors). Again not saying he's right in approach or that this show is the end-all-be-all, but they're not just hooting & hollering about one issue. Same formula applies to all of them.

Food - ep.4. Disease - ep. 6. Population - ep. 13.

How do you propose we solve disease? Starvation? Even war?
                    I don't know, and really don't care. I don't think anyone else cares what I think either.

Comment

Here's a question for you -- do you think it will ALWAYS be speculation? Or do you think someday we may be able to get fairly accurate as to what the model will be? What evidence would they have to present for you to believe whatever the hypothesis is?
                      I feel it will always be speculation. What evidence do I need? I'll know when I see it. The burden of proof is on them, not on me. Until then, I'm not convinced. The world has always changed, with or without the virus of humans.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                        The amount of polar bears is decreasing, according to NASA, the artic cap is melting and the antarctic cap is growing...but not as fast as the Arctic is melting, and yes Al Gore is a dickhead.
                        If true, what exactly is it we can do to refreeze polar caps? Where is the proof what is happening is from human pollution? Evolutionists believe the earth has been around for millions of years, could this be a cyclic event that may have transpired before weather patterns were accurately recorded?

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                          If true, what exactly is it we can do to refreeze polar caps? Where is the proof what is happening is from human pollution? Evolutionists believe the earth has been around for millions of years, could this be a cyclic event that may have transpired before weather patterns were accurately recorded?
                          Good questions.

Caps - Reduce or stop whatever is heating the Earth. Doesn't take long for water to freeze. Evidence suggests this is the 400 parts per million c02 in the atmosphere contributing, but I know that's what we're debating.

Human proof - there is knowledge out there. How much? How bad? Those are the variables.

Cycle - They take into account the cycle. It won't always be warming, but it may be cooling *less* than it should, or warming when it should be cooling, things like that. There are other factors, but we're potentially heaping a big one on top of the rest.

To put in an example, Elon Musk is experimenting with "hyper loop" as a direct result of climate change causing him to investigate mass transit. A train that goes 700mph. Dallas to Austin in 20 minutes. That's bad ass. He's also trying to go to mars, and making bad ass electric cars. What are the "deniers" inventing right now?

Comment

• ^monica
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
                              I feel it will always be speculation. What evidence do I need? I'll know when I see it. The burden of proof is on them, not on me. Until then, I'm not convinced.
                              This is the exact same argument people made against Tobacco causing cancer, just to put it in perspective.

I'm 100% against your argument that it will always be speculation, much like Tobacco today. Breakthroughs are inevitable. Whether America has descended into an anti-science culture refusing to question knowledge is another issue.

Comment

This is the exact same argument people made against Tobacco causing cancer, just to put it in perspective.

I'm 100% against your argument that it will always be speculation, much like Tobacco today. Breakthroughs are inevitable. Whether America has descended into an anti-science culture refusing to question knowledge is another issue.
                                Other than cancer being real, yeah. Science questions things, by definition. Always question things.

A quick, unrelated question to you. How many genders are there?

Comment

Working...
                                X