Best budget rifle for shooting 500-1000 yrds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best budget rifle for shooting 500-1000 yrds

School me on what I need to be looking for something that will let me plink from 500-1000 yrds rather accurately. I don't hunt (but may go on occasion) and I don't know a whole lot about diff types of guns. I know how they work and how to operate them but out of all the hundreds of thousands of diff model rifles out there, I have no clue where to start.

I am not against building something and I'm not too concerned with looks. I actually like composite stocks so what some would consider ugly is fine by me. I don't need some ultra expensive match rifle but I'd like it to be fairly accurate in that range. I'd like to keep it under $1000 but the cheaper the better.

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
    School me on what I need to be looking for something that will let me plink from 500-1000 yrds rather accurately. I don't hunt (but may go on occasion) and I don't know a whole lot about diff types of guns. I know how they work and how to operate them but out of all the hundreds of thousands of diff model rifles out there, I have no clue where to start.

I am not against building something and I'm not too concerned with looks. I actually like composite stocks so what some would consider ugly is fine by me. I don't need some ultra expensive match rifle but I'd like it to be fairly accurate in that range. I'd like to keep it under $1000 but the cheaper the better.
    Is that $500-$1000 including optics?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sorry, no. Just the gun itself.

Comment

If you're wanting something that's bolt action you can't go wrong with the Remington 700 line of rifles, they come in multiple calibers.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I'd look into a .308 bolt gun, or possibly 6mm.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'd say pick a flavor of .308 bolt gun
            most cheap ones now will even deliver 1MOA
            so I'd say for 500-1000
            id be looking at savage
            or
            at closer to 1000 i like the finnlight's by sako

Comment

ild get a savage. i like the feel of them better than the rem 700s. and remingtons reputation of late has not been doing well
              07 f250-family truckster
              08 Denali -baby hauler
              52 f1-rust bucket
              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

I like the adjustable accu-trigger on Savage bolt-actions better than the X-Mark on the Remington 700s. Even on the Remingtons with the X-Mark pro 'adjustable' trigger, if you clean off the shit they put over the adjustment screw it voids your warranty.
                The 40-X on the Remingtons is decent but I haven't seen that on the lower end 700s.
                Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Remington 5R or a Winchester.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

tikka

Comment

How about a Kimber?

Their handguns suck ass but their rifles are great.

You could get into one for right at $1,000 sans glass.

I am really picky when it comes to bolt guns. Some things I demand are a Mauser style claw extractor (not a dinky hook extractor), front locking lugs, cock on open, hinged magazine floorplate with a release inside the trigger guard, short bolt throw, an external bolt release so you can remove the bolt without touching the trigger, and a three position safety. Kimber rifles meet all of these requirements.
                      Originally posted by lincolnboy
                      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Too much hit and miss in their accuracy department for a Kimber to be considered. One that is identical in specs and is very well respected is the FN SPR line of rifles.

Comment

tikka and dont look back

Comment

sounds like everyone bitches too much, all of you should buy an accuracy international.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm more of a Sako TRG or Surgeon guy than I am AI.

Comment

Working...
                              X