FYI - $99 .22 silencer sale until May 31st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigmuskie View Post
    What's the difference between an open and closed baffle?
    I have absolutely no clue.....

Here is the open like in the one here for $100

And the ones in the Alpine

Comment

Ah, I see now. The Alpine contains the gas expansion within the baffles, where as the outer sleeve of the other does the work of containing the gasses. Does that make any damn sense? Lol. I wouldn't have a single clue as to why one might work better than the other, anyone know?

I'm considering having my 17 HMR threaded for this can, but I might pick up a 10/22 instead, not sure what I want to do. I love how quiet the 10/22 is with a suppressor though. Guess I have six months to figure it out.

Comment

Ah, I see now. The Alpine contains the gas expansion within the baffles, where as the outer sleeve of the other does the work of containing the gasses. Does that make any damn sense? Lol. I wouldn't have a single clue as to why one might work better than the other, anyone know?

I'm considering having my 17 HMR threaded for this can, but I might pick up a 10/22 instead, not sure what I want to do. I love how quiet the 10/22 is with a suppressor though. Guess I have six months to figure it out.
        Yes it does, when the can gets dirty lead builds up between the baffles. If there is too much lead build up you can't slide the baffles out and your can is trash. Using a sleeve allows you to remove the internals and keep your serial number with the associated $200 tax stamp separate. It's better than no sleeve but both cans probably would need to be cleaned every 200 rounds or so to prevent them from locking up.

The only design I know of that can go 1000 rounds between cleanings is the silencerco sparrow, because it uses a clam shell design for it's sleeve. That way no amount of buildup would impede it's disassembly.

Buildup is no joke, I have to scrape the lead build up out with a knife on mine, it takes about an hour to clean it right.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I clean my 22lr can once every 500-1000 rounds or so. The baffles get tight in there for sure (I have a k-baffle type can) so I just get a dowel or piece of PVC pipe, put it on top, and whack it with a mallet a few times.

I then throw the baffles in a tumbler overnight and they come out good as new. My can was $200 and made by a small no-name company in Georgia.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            I clean my 22lr can once every 500-1000 rounds or so. The baffles get tight in there for sure (I have a k-baffle type can) so I just get a dowel or piece of PVC pipe, put it on top, and whack it with a mallet a few times.

I then throw the baffles in a tumbler overnight and they come out good as new. My can was $200 and made by a small no-name company in Georgia.
            As rough as that sounds it probably is easier to clean since the baffles work as a blade to knock off the lead buildup.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Thanks for the explanation CJ.

Another question; lets say someones .22LR is at that point where it's considered trash. No amount of tugging, pulling, and smacking with a piece of PVC and hammer will remove the open chambered baffles (no internal sleeve) from the suppressor. Could you soak the suppressor in a gallon jug of a liquid cleaning chemical such as Chem-Tool, or is that too harsh on the metals?

Reason I ask is because my Grandfather worked on a lot of mowers and some carburetors were so gummed up with carbon and junk, he would leave them in a gallon jug of Chem-Tool overnight and they were good as new.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation CJ.

Another question; lets say someones .22LR is at that point where it's considered trash. No amount of tugging, pulling, and smacking with a piece of PVC and hammer will remove the open chambered baffles (no internal sleeve) from the suppressor. Could you soak the suppressor in a gallon jug of a liquid cleaning chemical such as Chem-Tool, or is that too harsh on the metals?

Reason I ask is because my Grandfather worked on a lot of mowers and some carburetors were so gummed up with carbon and junk, he would leave them in a gallon jug of Chem-Tool overnight and they were good as new.
                I know some people bathe them in diesel to break it up. I have heard of people doing it, I just don't know how well it works, because the lead is literally welded to the inside. Heating it up to lead's melting point might work, I've never done it so I couldn't say. As for the metals some suppressors can be dipped, some can't, all depends on the model.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  I know some people bathe them in diesel to break it up. I have heard of people doing it, I just don't know how well it works, because the lead is literally welded to the inside. Heating it up to lead's melting point might work, I've never done it so I couldn't say. As for the metals some suppressors can be dipped, some can't, all depends on the model.
                  Maybe sacrificing a bottle of Hoppes might do the trick. Thing is, I know now not to let it get to that point, so I'll clean it after a certain amount of rounds at the range, which leads me to another question (suppressor newb and full of Q's).

Lets say you adhere to a 200 to 250 round limit, once you've reached that limit, what would be a good quick way to clean a rimfire can while at the range? After the range, a more thorough cleaning would be done.

Comment

Maybe sacrificing a bottle of Hoppes might do the trick. Thing is, I know now not to let it get to that point, so I'll clean it after a certain amount of rounds at the range, which leads me to another question (suppressor newb and full of Q's).

Lets say you adhere to a 200 to 250 round limit, once you've reached that limit, what would be a good quick way to clean a rimfire can while at the range? After the range, a more thorough cleaning would be done.
                    The real concern is getting the lead off of the inside of the sleeve, not so much the baffles. You could just pop it open and use your pocket knife to scrape the lead off. But as Alex said he goes over the suggested amount and just hammers the baffles out with a mallet.

Comment

I have had mine pretty suck before, so I soaked it overnight in hoppes no. 9 and then the baffles pounded right out.
                      Originally posted by lincolnboy
                      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Thanks for y'alls suggestions. I like the idea of using a tumbler overnight though. Figured since I'll have to wait 6+ months for the dang thing (sub I've for We've), might as well do what I can to take care of it.

Comment

The mere fact it's a serviceable can for $99 should seal the deal for anyone. If no one on here takes advantage of this sale they are a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                            The mere fact it's a serviceable can for $99 should seal the deal for anyone. If no one on here takes advantage of this sale they are a fool.
                            I had planned on picking up a billet lower until I seen this post. I have one of these cans on the way threw Jeff. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Which reminds me, I need to call Jeff. I haven't received a return E mail from him yet. I ordered one of these cans last Thursday, figured I would get a response from Jeff by now.
                            Last edited by bigmuskie; 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Soooo...Not sure how many people got in on this 'deal' but it's starting to look like this may have been a too good to be true type.

I ordered two of the suppressors from them and after not hearing from them for over a month and a half I tried calling and sending emails to no avail. The one phone they never answer(seems to be a google line) and I believe the other line is disconnected, every time I call it it says the person is not receiving calls.

Apparently everyone is having the same issues:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

There was another forum that members were saying the same thing, though now I can't seem to find it.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but no ones heard from them in some time now.

Comment

great... It appears now is the time to reverse your charges.

Comment

Working...
                                X