No announcement yet.

The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good deal man. Shoot some pics of the work and planting. Its also a goofy thing, but put up some post and fence a little 4x4 square off to monitor actual grazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
      I went looking for wheat and stuff today and all I could find was some purple top turnips so I got those.. I found a place that is on the way to the deer lease that says they have winter wheat and winter Rye so I'll pick that up in the morning on the way there.

You may have mentioned this eariler in the thread but what area are you hunting in?
      "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
      East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
      https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        good deal man. Shoot some pics of the work and planting. Its also a goofy thing, but put up some post and fence a little 4x4 square off to monitor actual grazing.
        Yea I saw a video where a guy did that so he knew how much difference between that and what's being grazed on to see IF they are grazing

Originally posted by Pewter Y2K Z28 View Post
        You may have mentioned this eariler in the thread but what area are you hunting in?
        our lease is in Alvord TX between Decataur and Bowie on 287
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

• Holy shit this stuff is way more expensive than I thought it was $18 for a 50 pound bag of the week and $35 for a 50 pound bag of the rye

I was figuring 15 bucks apiece maybe

Comment

• I'm not 100% sure any of these are big enough to shoot.

http://photobucket.com/Chris_9-22-12_thru_9-26-12

Comment

I'm not 100% sure any of these are big enough to shoot.

http://photobucket.com/Chris_9-22-12_thru_9-26-12
              To each their own. Personally, I'd pass on them but it's tough to say that not knowing your situation. How big is the property you hunt? Are your neighbors like minded in your management goals? Things like that have to come in play if you are trying to grow large deer. You may pass on a deer like that but your neighbor maybe a "its brown, its down" type of guy.

On our place in East Texas we have the same problem, very small acreage and our neighbor is lets just say "trigger happy" when it comes to deer. He doesnt care about improving antler quality at all and pretty much blast anything that has horns that passes the antler restrictions regardless of age. It's his place and he can do what he wants but it drives me up the wall every year when I see those really young deer with potentional hanging on his rack. Especially given the historically poor genes that we have in our area, let those little guys breed and thin our the basket rack garbage that we get.
              "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
              East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
              https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• Our place is only 200 acres. We have hwy 287 on one side and 2 other pieces of land border the rest of us

One part is not hunted the other is like you said a brown it's down type guy It's family land and the family shoots what they want

Comment

Our place is only 200 acres. We have hwy 287 on one side and 2 other pieces of land border the rest of us

One part is not hunted the other is like you said a brown it's down type guy It's family land and the family shoots what they want
                  None of them are wall hangers. I personally would let them walk and stick to does and spikes this year. Its what I did last year. I got 2 does and 1 spike and a few hogs. But thats just me. Make a good decision on your needs and situation.
                  Photobucket

Comment

• That's prob what I'll do too. There is also a jacked up deer that was seen. A couple years ago I used my tag to take it out of the gene pool based on the land owners request ( supposedly if the land owner wants it taken off you can do it even if the buck isn't "legal" )

I want to find the family to this deer my dad shot a couple years ago on this place

Last edited by 2165 Turbo Rail; 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Very nice deer there.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• Also from reading your post you hunt just an hour down 287 from me. I'm up just north of Henrietta right on the highway.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• You want big deer. Stop shooting them.

It really does help if the neighbors are on board. I really dont want to shoot anything under 140 inches.

But i cant stop the people who draw refuge tags or my neighbors from shooting a good one. They have just as much a chance as i do. One guy got a 175in typical litterly a half mile from my house. I never got a picture of that deer.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee View Post
                            Also from reading your post you hunt just an hour down 287 from me. I'm up just north of Henrietta right on the highway.
                            yup not far, how are the deer up there? I'm literally right on 287 and there is a truck stop right across 287 so a lot of times we go eat there... kind of ruins the fun of being in the outdoors when you eat at a restaurant, watch satelite TV and sleep in an old motor home... but it's cheap ($400 year round and that includes electric)

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                            You want big deer. Stop shooting them.

It really does help if the neighbors are on board. I really dont want to shoot anything under 140 inches.

But i cant stop the people who draw refuge tags or my neighbors from shooting a good one. They have just as much a chance as i do. One guy got a 175in typical litterly a half mile from my house. I never got a picture of that deer.
                            we try not to shoot young bucks but like I said, the neighbors, not so much.

I'll probably take a doe for some meat and wait for a good buck and if I don't see one I'll take a spike or the messed up buck someone else saw

dad said that dear above was around 140 by his measurements

Comment

• Anything over 140 is a good deer. Im taking some meat out of the freezer from last year for some jerky while in the stand haha.

Gotta eat some deer to kill some deer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                                Anything over 140 is a good deer. Im taking some meat out of the freezer from last year for some jerky while in the stand haha.

Gotta eat some deer to kill some deer.
                                send me some! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X