School me on .300blk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by futant View Post
    so are you saying there are no AR's in 7.62x39 that function flawlessly ?
    I m totally serious, because I would like to buy one.
    I don't give a shit about any wildcat cartridges like 300BLK, and I'm standardizing on x39 for my other guns
    7.62x39mm cannot function flawlessly in an AR - the mag well is straight for too long given the taper of the cartridge.

300 BLK is not a wildcat - it was accepted by SAAMI on January 17th, 2011 - and there are over 160 companies supporting it now.

Comment

The .300blk has slightly less energy delivery than a 7.62x39 within 300 yards, outside of that range the .300blk begins to deliver more energy because of the better profile of the .308 projectiles.

I always hear people say "7.62x39 is a great round if you load your own ammunition and don't fire it in an AK47" Well there goes every benefit the caliber has. Like mentioned above all the jamming problems are due to the 7.62x39 having such a high conical profile requiring mags to have a substantial curve to accommodate it. Also, I don't like handloading 7.62x39, special harder to find bullets (it isn't a .308) and special hard to find cases (brass boxer primed cases are few and far between). 7.62x39 is great if you buy your ammo and don't really need accuracy. That's the whole point of it. .300blk has many many advantages over 7.62x39. The truth is 7.62x39 is a round developed for a specific weapon, it doesn't make much sense outside of that weapon.
      Last edited by CJ; 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I just ordered a 300BLK upper the other day, now is there anywhere to order reasonable ammo for it?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
          I just ordered a 300BLK upper the other day, now is there anywhere to order reasonable ammo for it?
          $12@midway
          IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
            So 300 blk is still effectively better. There isn't anything else that fires 7.62x39 accurately, it doesn't run for shit in an AR, and the only AR that uses it isn't even really an AR
            Weird... my 7.62x39 runs flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by rsilvers View Post
              7.62x39mm cannot function flawlessly in an AR - the mag well is straight for too long given the taper of the cartridge.
              I find this to be a false statement.

Comment

little steep...

There is a reloader in Lewisville that does .300blk I saw over on Texas Hunting Forum

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  little steep...

There is a reloader in Lewisville that does .300blk I saw over on Texas Hunting Forum
                  what's a little steep?
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Using a 147gr m80 projectile .300 blk can be loaded for 0.12 per round.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

.300 blk is designed to run subsonic, that's where it fills a niche. Supersonic it had some surprising performance but its primarily due to the more efficient .308 profile more than anything else. At long range it even has performance gains over 6.8. For me its all about cost of reloading, its super cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        what's a little steep?
                        $12/box

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Using a 147gr m80 projectile .300 blk can be loaded for 0.12 per round.
                        I really am thinking of getting into reloading... getting brass is probably my hardest part.

Comment

$12/box

I really am thinking of getting into reloading... getting brass is probably my hardest part.
                          It's all going to depend on what size projectile you're getting. 147gr - 220gr is a fairly significant difference in cost.
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                          Originally posted by Denny
                          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

$12/box

Brass is easy, get a .300blk die, run .223 case through it, trim to .300blk. I use a small miter saw. Takes me about a day to make 1,000 cases. You get a press and ill give you 500 cases to get you started.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Brass is easy, get a .300blk die, run .223 case through it, trim to .300blk. I use a small miter saw. Takes me about a day to make 1,000 cases. You get a press and ill give you 500 cases to get you started.
                              You sir have pushed me to reloading

Im going to look online for a press... last I knew, Cabelas had some deals going for an RCBS setup

Comment

Working...
                              X