Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    Ok cool, i was thinking it would have been a much better representation to shoot at a much lower rate. I know when I design anything for high temperature I have to look at a few tables comparing temperature vs ultimate tensile strength and so on....but Im not sure what material the barrels are or how much thermal expansion helps interference.

Does the twist rate just drive actual contact between barrel and bullet or is there more to it than that?
    There is more lateral wear on the grooves because its having to twist the bullet faster, quicker. The steeper the angle on the rifling, the more wear they will have.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I was impressed by the article none the less. Good read.

Even though it sounds like steel "issues" were minimal, I'll still be a fan of brass.
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
        I was impressed by the article none the less. Good read.

Even though it sounds like steel "issues" were minimal, I'll still be a fan of brass.
        If you're a fan of cleaning and replacing wear components, the test shows that steel is a fuckload cheaper and still quite reliable. I enjoyed a rather pragmatic review that backed up brass, but then showed the findings with stats vs. dollars: if you'll clean your rifle and replace cheap wear parts, go with steel.
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I should feel bad, but I don't.

Comment

Working...
          X