Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
    http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=543433

Best performance out of a 16" barrel. How is that possible if there's so much resistance that it should completely stop the bullet?
    Add and extra 8" to the barrel length and it just sometimes happens.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Has anyone ever made a .45ACP lever gun? I always thought that would be interesting. It would make for a pretty high capacity tube gun.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
        Add and extra 8" to the barrel length and it just sometimes happens.
        You really believe that an extra 8" of barrel can decelerate a bullet from 1200+ fps to 0?
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

You really believe that an extra 8" of barrel can decelerate a bullet from 1200+ fps to 0?
          Yes, duh.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Has anyone ever made a .45ACP lever gun? I always thought that would be interesting. It would make for a pretty high capacity tube gun.
            The tube mag would be the biggest problem. The feeding mechanism stops the cases with the rim.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Way to ruin Tanners thread guys!

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                The tube mag would be the biggest problem. The feeding mechanism stops the cases with the rim.
                They made some Winchester 92's in .45ACP apparently.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  They made some Winchester 92's in .45ACP, you only have to change a few things.
                  Crazy!

Comment

My clients daughter manages a 6 million acre game preserve in Tanzania and handles the paper work about getting firearms into the country on a weekly basis; she told me that it will not be a problem. I had planned on using a spear, the gun is a personal back up only.
                    What did the State Dept. say?

Comment

Absolutely. If the coefficient of friction is high enough you could stop it in a much shorter distance then 8". If you ever care to meet me at a range I will gladly demonstrate that just about any bullet can can cease all forward movement in a distance equal to the length of the projectile no matter how fast it is travailing.

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      What did the State Dept. say?
                      They say "Yes" on a daily basis. This ain't my first rodeo. I have left the country on a plane with firearms and have come back into the country with firearms several times before. You just need to have a professional do a little paper work for you ahead of time.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Right on.

Comment

Absolutely. If the coefficient of friction is high enough you could stop it in a much shorter distance then 8". If you ever care to meet me at a range I will gladly demonstrate that just about any bullet can can cease all forward movement in a distance equal to the length of the projectile no matter how fast it is travailing.
                          Details? All logic says it's bs unless you're bore isn't true or some other strange non standard factor.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            Details? All logic says it's bs unless you're bore isn't true or some other strange non standard factor.

Which part? Stopping in 8"? I stopped something that weighs more than 230,000 times what an average .38spl jacketed plinking round weighs several hundred times today via friction but it was going slower then the bullet would be traveling.

Internal ballistics are an odd thing to get your mind around so I will try to keep it simple. As far as a bullet getting lodged in the barrel it goes like this. Normal target ammo that you buy at walmart is loaded pretty weakly and it is designed for use in a short barrel. Remember that an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force such as friction. There will be a point where the bullet in the barrel starts to slow down because the friction is greater then the force trying to accelerate it. Most of the time there is still enough momentum for the bullet to make it out of the barrel but if you have been shooting all day long the bore is fouled with gliding material and the ID has been decrease plus the coefficient of friction has been increased. Then you get a load that is on the low side of the factory tolerances and there just isn't enough "Go" to make it out of the barrel. This will happen faster with low powered ammo; jacketed makes it happen ever faster. Bring me a .38 lever gun and I will show you. In all likely hood you will experience what I am describing before making it through a case of ammo. It can be prevented by cleaning the bore, using hotter ammo instead of the cheap stuff, and by using cast bullets.

Comment

Internal ballistics are an odd thing to get your mind around so I will try to keep it simple
                              Does your theory of internal ballistics apply to 22lr? If so I have a gun from Krypton. Maybe 2500 rounds through it, never cleaned. Shoots great!

Normal target ammo that you buy at walmart is loaded pretty weakly and it is designed for use in a short barrel.
                              Uh ooooooooo. It is a good thing I shot my weak target walmart ammo before I read this!

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                                Does your theory of internal ballistics apply to 22lr? If so I have a gun from Krypton. Maybe 2500 rounds through it, never cleaned. Shoots great!

Uh ooooooooo. It is a good thing I shot my weak target walmart ammo before I read this!
                                It applies to all ammo but most .22lr ammo is lead and lubed and the smaller OD of the bullet provides less surface area for friction to act on.

Comment

Working...
                                X