Colt 1911 models and upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
    Got the letter back from the tax assessor. We are getting a huge refund on '13, so my wife is keeping her word. Her word was I submit and sign all the forms and she uses the funds to buy me a new gun. My budget is $1700. Now I'm starting to think that for $1700 I can get a couple of 1911s....

So I've spent a ton of time researching the Series 70 and 80 issues and operating mechanisms. This designation really only applies to Colts. But the main issue is that Series 80 guns have firing pin safeties. Now these parts can be removed and a small spacer installed to have a 70 style trigger. Kimber and a few smaller manufacturers use a totally different firing pin safety actuated by the grip safety. Suffice it to say I will never have this setup as it is too far off the original 1911 design.

Now I currently have two 1911s, an RIA 45 and a Sig Scorpion in 45 ACP. Both are great, but the RIA is original design "series 70" and the Sig is "series 80" with the firing pin safety block. Honestly the firing pin block does suck especially during assembly and reassembly of the slide. The catch gets hung up at times and the detent that is pushed down by the spring in the slide upper adds odd friction during reassembly. The trigger on the smithed RIA is better. The Sig trigger is pretty damn good and it is probably the tightest 1911 on the market these days. Sig and all Germans manufacture to crazy tight tolerances even if the plant is in NH in the US. Germans and Japs win when it comes to tolerance wars (I'm a mech eng by education).

So I'd really like to have a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP. And I want a 1911 in 38 Super and 10mm eventually. The Colt Delta Elite is a Series 80 design no way around it. You can get new built series 70 models but they are simple government spec. No match barrels, no adjustable sights or triggers etc. Just plain GI style 1911 in blue. They are less expensive though. The Colt 38 supers currently available are series 80. Don't even think about buying one in series 70 or technically pre series 70 unless you have lots of coin or the gun is abused.

So I'm thinking of getting a simple blue current production 1911 series 70 5" govt model. That's about 1K.

So do I add a few hundred of my own and get a Colt series 80 in 38 super or a Delta Elite?

Or do I get a plain jane GI style RIA 38 super and modifiy it to suit my tastes with whatever parts I like. I like Wilson parts by the way and Novak sites.

For the 10mm do I get an RIA or Citadel for around $5-6 or should I just save a bit more and get the Delta Elite. Honestly I'd prefer to have an older blued Delta than the newer SS models.

My dream trio would be a Series 70 in 45 ACP, a new Series 80 38 super converted to a series 70 trigger and a blue Delta Elite.... all of them with ivory grips too.

I could probably swing one now, maybe two if I add some of my own funds, and all 3 by the end of the year or early next year.

What say you? Anyone have any of the above referenced guns?
    I have most of the guns you referenced, what are you interested in specifically about them? Also most of the older delta's were stainless, it's not just the new ones that are.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      *shiver* series 80.
      I acquired a series 80 MK IV last year, worth keeping or should I unload it and upgrade? Took it out to the range a few weeks ago. It seems to shoot low-left but it may just be me not used to the trigger. Otherwise it's a nice gun. Just wondering if it's worth the cash/time/effort to have it worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
        I acquired a series 80 MK IV last year, worth keeping or should I unload it and upgrade? Took it out to the range a few weeks ago. It seems to shoot low-left but it may just be me not used to the trigger. Otherwise it's a nice gun. Just wondering if it's worth the cash/time/effort to have it worked on.
        I'm speaking only from a collectability perspective. The Series 80's are functionally the same for the most part. Most of the series 80's suffer from a decrease in material quality (plastic mainspring housings, plastic triggers, etc.). The general consensus from the community (however questionable) is that Series 70's are of higher quality. Because of that, they usually command higher prices. If you like your pistol, and your intention is to modify it then I say go ahead and do it to the series 80. Modifying any pistol is going to lower it's collectability. You might as well start with the less desirable model to begin with.

I worked a trade out a few years ago for a Nickel Series 70 which had been played with, and most of it was done wrong. I ended up paying about $50 or so for the gun. It seems to be the most popular gun to pull out of my safe and fondle (you know who you are). So enjoy it for what it is.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Ok that makes perfect sense. Yeah I hate the trigger and I think the handle safety isn't quite working right (doesn't seem to prevent it from firing) so I'll be looking for someone to help me improve it. Here it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
            Ok that makes perfect sense. Yeah I hate the trigger and I think the handle safety isn't quite working right (doesn't seem to prevent it from firing) so I'll be looking for someone to help me improve it. Here it is.

If you want to DYI, there are plenty of good series 80 videos out there on breaking the guns down completely so you can fix the issue yourself.

Last edited by War Machine; 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X