THF Hunting rifle challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THF Hunting rifle challenge

I know that we have a few crossover members between here and Texas hunting forum. Is anyone going to attend or compete in the rifle competition?
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

I wanted too but saw the thread too late...my gun money has been a little funny so I don't log in all the time like I used too over there.
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I didn't make it last year but will this time around.

Comment

Lucky you...
        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Details? Perhaps we can do or own hunting rifle shoot.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Hunting Challenge- Rifle Competition- SIGN UP and DetailsCome show off your gear and shooting ability! We plan to gear this match for hunters and first time "match" shooters. We want targets big enough for hits, but small enough to make it challenging. Range Officers will...

Comment

Rifle and ammunition information: Max speed limit of 3100 fps! No FMJ bullets. Calibers we could NOT run are 22-250 or 223 Rem running faster than 3000-3100 fps. Anything faster than 3100 fps will dent the steel, or poke through the steel. If you have a question on this, please contact us. Your fast, hot-rod rounds (like a 257 Weatherby) would not be allowed, simply due to the speed of the bullet and damaging the steel targets. Your 308 Win, 270 Win, 7 Mag, 300 Win Mag, should be fine. Round count should be around 40-50 rounds, with each stage having no more than 3 to 5 rounds per stage. The idea of this match is to expose hunters to some challenging and fun courses of fire, while putting you under the time clock for the added stress to make a hit. Scopes that can dial for elevation are welcomed. This match is geared for the basic factory hunting rifles, not the high end competition rifles. Bring any shooting gear you will need to shoot this match- bipods, back packs, ruck sacks, rear sand bags, etc. Each shooter will have a set up time, and then their stage will begin. If you need a loaner rifle, I will offer up my bolt gun 270 Winchester and my suppressed Remington model 7 in 300 Black Out, if you pay for the ammo.

Match details:
              We plan to gear this match for the first time "match" shooters. We want targets big enough for hits, but small enough to make it challenging. Stages would consist of steel and reactive targets out to 300 yards. Some shooting positions would be from a bench, prone, standing off-hand, kneeling, off a T-post, off a barricade, and out a deer blind window. Reactive targets would be 2" clay pigeons, steel coyote targets, steel 4" poppers, KYL (know your limits) and any other steel targets or stages we can think of and can come up with. All stages would have a generous time limit to complete the stage. Most targets will be a "HIT" or a "MISS". Whoever has the most points at the end, wins! Here are a few of the ideas we have so far:

KYL (know your limits)- steel
              Shooting Off T-post
              5 shot- 1" Dot drill at 100 yards
              Coyote- steel
              Pepper poppers- from the front of a shooting chair mounted on a truck
              2” Clay Pigeons, 4” clays between 150 and 200 yards
              Deer stand shot- steel plates
              Gobbler chair shot- with shooting sticks
              Prarie Dog poppers off truck
              Plus more!
              Maybe a few bonus stages mixed in.

We are thinking about 8-10 stages, maybe 12
              Sounds interesting.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Just talked to Chad, I am in, now I just need to buy another scope for my rifle as I sold off my old scope earlier this year

24th of Jan

Comment

Nice. What kind of scope are you going to look for?

Comment

I'm competing as well.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                      Nice. What kind of scope are you going to look for?
                      I had a Leupold VX on it prior that was more inclined to hunting with the duplex...kinda leaning towards the same, holds are not terribly hard to figure out. I sold it as I wanted more power, naturally

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                        I'm competing as well.
                        It'll be nice to finally put a couple faces to some screen names.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                          I had a Leupold VX on it prior that was more inclined to hunting with the duplex...kinda leaning towards the same, holds are not terribly hard to figure out. I sold it as I wanted more power, naturally
                          I can understand that. The extra magnification sure is nice at times.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            I can understand that. The extra magnification sure is nice at times.
                            Well, I turned around and bought a viper 6.5x20 after that had mil dot but I just didn't seem to shoot as well at the range with it, didn't group as well. So after searching, I realized how much I liked the one I had so now I am looking to buy another. It was a vx-1 4x12x40 and I loved it as simple as it was.

I used it last go around and it shot fine, I didn't at times but hopefully this year the time limit doesn't disrupt my focus and cause me to rush. I came in dead last previously, so I didn't set the bar too high for myself...lol

Comment

I decided to keep my Rem 700 and bought a couple things to give it a needed facelift from the stock ADL configuration it came in. I'll probably do this if I have it back from the gunsmith in time.
                              Originally posted by Jester
                              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                              He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                              Originally posted by Denny
                              What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                              FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Working...
                              X