Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
    Where are you finding 155s for 7.62x39?
    Reloads? Although Corbon used to offer 150's but I don't know which bullet was used, it was sold as a hunting round.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
      Where are you finding 155s for 7.62x39?
      .308 bullet. I have a shit load of brass now figured why not. I got for free. So I figure why not. There's load data in the hornady manual. I wish I could find data on loading 168 grain A Max in a 39, I have a few hundred of those.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        Reloads? Although Corbon used to offer 150's but I don't know which bullet was used, it was sold as a hunting round.
        Yes reloads.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshoe View Post
          .308 bullet. I have a shit load of brass now figured why not. I got for free. So I figure why not. There's load data in the hornady manual. I wish I could find data on loading 168 grain A Max in a 39, I have a few hundred of those.
          I'm sure you can velocity won't be great since the bullet will take up a good portion of case capacity if you can even seat them at mag length without being over the bullets datum point.

Edit: I'll try to remember to look at my Sierra manual when i get off work, I'm almost positive it has the 7.62x39 listed.

Comment

I'm sure you can velocity won't be great since the bullet will take up a good portion of case capacity if you can even seat them at mag length without being over the bullets datum point.

Edit: I'll try to remember to look at my Sierra manual when i get off work, I'm almost positive it has the 7.62x39 listed.
            I did a quick search on Google last night and didn't come up with much, but I was thinking the same thing on the bullet taking up too much and not enough powder to do anything.

Comment

You do realize 7.62x39 does not use a .308" bullet, it uses a .311" bullet, right?
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                You do realize 7.62x39 does not use a .308" bullet, it uses a .311" bullet, right?
                Some rifles were made with .308 bore but standard is .311 like the 7.62x54 and .303 Brit. He can safely use 308 bullets and may or may not see any advantage just depends on the rifle.

A call to the upper manufacturer could determine what diameter the bore actually is.

Comment

Some rifles were made with .308 bore but standard is .311 like the 7.62x54 and .303 Brit. He can safely use 308 bullets and may or may not see any advantage just depends on the rifle.

A call to the upper manufacturer could determine what diameter the bore actually is.
                  A 7.62x39 uses a .311" bullet, that's the caliber. .003" is huge when it comes to ballistics. If the barrel was made incorrectly with a .308 diameter, the round it's chambered for could create some pretty dangerous pressures.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

A 7.62x39 uses a .311" bullet, that's the caliber. .003" is huge when it comes to ballistics.
                    I agree but depending on the rifle it may not make a difference depending on how well it shoots now or what his expectations are.

Comment

Wasn't sure this was available online but here is an article on Reloading the 7.62x39 with .308 bullets, I have it at home since I tend to keep articles on odd stuff.

Comment

Yes I do realize that. I definitely not an expert on this but the hornady load book showed the same numbers for 39 as they do for a .308. I did a little searching on the internet and it appears to be a pretty common thing.

Also. From what I read on the internet a lot of 7.62x 39 barrels are made with a .308 bore.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong I'm still learning. Is it the same thing as if you have an AR chambered in 5.56 it is safe to use .223 ammo but nut the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by Jewmadbro? View Post
                            Correct me if I'm wrong I'm still learning. Is it the same thing as if you have an AR chambered in 5.56 it is safe to use .223 ammo but nut the other way around?
                            That has to do with cartridge overall length, but sort of, yes. It's a risk, but not a high one. AR chamberings tend to be 5.56mm, the longer one, and bolt action rifle chamberings tend to be in .223, which is the shorter of the two. Most people with .223 bolt actions purchase .223, as that's what's engraved on the barrel, and most people AR's purchase whatever's cheapest, so it really doesn't matter.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Yes I do realize that. I definitely not an expert on this but the hornady load book showed the same numbers for 39 as they do for a .308. I did a little searching on the internet and it appears to be a pretty common thing.

Also. From what I read on the internet a lot of 7.62x 39 barrels are made with a .308 bore.
                              My only experience handloading 7.62x39 is with AK's, and if you load a .308 bullet and fire out of an AK, it loses accuracy pretty tremendously (which in itself is incredible). If it's made with a .308 barrel, I would think a .311" bullet would increase pressures a hell of a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                                That has to do with cartridge overall length, but sort of, yes. It's a risk, but not a high one. AR chamberings tend to be 5.56mm, the longer one, and bolt action rifle chamberings tend to be in .223, which is the shorter of the two. Most people with .223 bolt actions purchase .223, as that's what's engraved on the barrel, and most people AR's purchase whatever's cheapest, so it really doesn't matter.
                                5.56 does have a slightly longer leade than .223, but the safety aspect comes from the fact that 5.56 max pressure is higher than .223.
                                Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                                Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                                X