Brake on a .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
    Yea. I looked. I can't find a scope that will reliably hold zero with this gun. That's one of the main reasons for the brake. I'm not spending more then 800 for a scope. Hopefully this brake will be easier on the scope. Right now I have a Leupold vx3.
    Really? What kind of scopes are you using? Are you using solid rings and or mounts? Are you TQing them correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      Are you just using Leupold hunting scopes? VX-3's? There are tons of good scopes out there that can handle a .308 semi-auto.
      I started with BSA... Moved up to a couple of buck masters, then a nice Nikon, and now I'm on my3rd Leupold. The Leupold vx3 has held zero the best out of any of them.

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
      Really? What kind of scopes are you using? Are you using solid rings and or mounts? Are you TQing them correctly?
      Yea solid rings. I torque them down pretty tight. I don't use a torque wrench.
      sigpic

Comment

Do you abuse the hell out the stuff. NIKON buckmaster scopes are half ass decent.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Nope I take great care of my stuff. .308 out of a 16" is just throwing them off bit by bit. My wife's dpms .308 with 24 inch bull doesn't kick at all really and she has one of my leupolds that wouldn't hold zero on mine but does fine in hers.
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a ring problem to me, that rifle doesn't generate that much recoil.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I've got a spare set of 1" TPS high rings, if you need them dude.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                Nope I take great care of my stuff. .308 out of a 16" is just throwing them off bit by bit. My wife's dpms .308 with 24 inch bull doesn't kick at all really and she has one of my leupolds that wouldn't hold zero on mine but does fine in hers.

It's NOT the .308. Hunters w/ light weight rifles are shooting magnum calibers all the time w/o any issues w/ their properly mounted rings and bases.

Also you should use a TQ wrench.

I can't tell what rings you have on that scope, but I can see though them, so that tells me they are prob not the most sturdy thing you've attached to the rifle.

Try TPS, Seekins ,or Badger rings.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  What do you mount it behind? I'm thinking of something for my EFR in the future. I think the price will keep coming down on NV that can be mounted in front of a day optic.
                  Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Has NVG reticule illumination. You'll need a laser illuminator for long range depending on the ambient light.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Tested it today. Works well.

sigpic

Comment

Not bad grouping.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Has NVG reticule illumination. You'll need a laser illuminator for long range depending on the ambient light.
                        I'd be interested to look though that at night. Have you hunted with it?

Comment

Working...
                        X